1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy Seal Vs Swat Team

Discussion in 'General' started by sptbk57, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

How many in here would go back to 18 and do it different? How many at 18 would have listened to an older "you" to make different choices? You can't put an old head on young shoulders.

Scotty87 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On that kind of stuff I was smart at 18, no need to go back and tell me what I knew and lived by :D

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dudes make fuckin' bank (as far as enlisted folk are concerned) with all the extra quals they rate.

Some touched on it here already, but 99% of financial problems are self induced from having 17 different baby mamas and/or buying a brand new truck every 2 years because they "gotta have it". Just because they might fall under SOCOM doesn't make them any less of a potato than regular military folk when it comes to basic life choices :crackup:

TurboBlew and JBraun like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Exactly. One of my best friends is currently a PJ, and I have a few buddies in the teams and SF. Besides the standard inter-branch banter and competition, at the end of the day it’s all respect.

The mini rivalries get weird too. A Ranger buddy of mine holds a special contempt for RRC, as does a former SEAL I know for DEVGRU. Basically if you serve in a unit not directly under JSOC, you have to shit on the units that are. It’s all confusing to me...

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They make bank??? What exactly do you call bank?

A typical E5, which slots itself squarely in the middle of rates makes about $38K a year. Add up to an extra$325 a month for imminent danger pay. Not hardly what I'd call bank, and one of the main reasons I only hung around for 4 years. One other item discussed here which is partly false is married pay. You don't necessarily get extra pay when you're married. Many bases have a quota of the number of married enlisted that get the marriage pay (or housing, etc). At my base, the quota was full when I got married and I didn't receive an extra dime or get any stipend for living off base like other guys received.

And let's end this discussion once and for all. It's no contest as to who the toughest fuckers in the service are...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Apparently so. They threw that poor guy right out of the helicopter!

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

No, pretty sure everyone gets paid more (or lives 99% free with on base housing) when you're married.

But clearly, you know far more about the military pay system with your 4 years of service than I do with my 10+ years. So please, do go on. This is entertaining. :crackup:

8. rd400racer

Yeah, at my station there was a certain number of married billets allowed and that was it. Anyone that was married after that number was on their own. Had to pay out of the pocket for off-base housing and didn't receive any food or family allowance. And we didn't have on-base housing except for the CO and XO.

Just because you know what you know, doesn't mean you know everything.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Ohhh.... a dick measuring contest!!!

Who will win between the Coasties and whatever Wheel Bearing is?

:dead:

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is that even a question? This is the Coast Guard. Wheel Bearing could be a Girl Scout and would still win :crackup:

brex, Wheel Bearing and auminer like this.
  11. rd400racer

You really went there.

Well, I've heard worse:D

12. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

Same thing I've heard. I'm pretty sure SEALs are given contracts based on length of service, rank, and other parameters. I know their base salary is within their pay grade but that they get paid more for their quals and that their contracts are much higher than their base pay. I've heard pay from $120k+ and up.

I wonder how much more DEVGRU or DELTA gets since they're Tier 1?

There used to be a "guy" who posted on here who was active duty out of SD. It was kind of funny cause all the OG forum members, another motorcycle forum, knew since he mentioned he was in BUDs, and then later he mentioned he was promoted. There were a lot of references thrown around. He just retired with back problems, he was active duty from roughly 07-17.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s all in good fun. Is the coast guard even considered military anymore? I thought they were moved to Dept of Homeland Security.

14. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Also they get accelerated rate (Navy),meaning they advance faster due to the obvious,similar to Sonar Tech,Nuke Power,Gas Systems Turbine etc.

speedluvn likes this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Puddle pirates aren't DoD. You are correct.

16. Wheel Bearing

I know that you're wrong about their pay incentives...don't have to know everything to know that. ;)

17. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I'll throw my hat in the ring if it helps.Yeah I served,can tell a few SEAL stories.

18. rd400racer

I'm just going by what I researched on DoD websites today. I have no anecdotal proof. I just can't imagine that they get payed substantially above what someone of the same rate makes in a normal position. The government doesn't work that way.

Coast Guard isn't military, we only go under the DoD during times of war (real war). Always been DoT until recent times. But a little known fact...more Coast Guardsman died by percentage of service than any other during WWII. Think about it...they drove many of the landing craft.

I'm proud as hell that I was a Coastie. I went into it because I knew it would be hard, and at times it was. But we also didn't take shit too seriously.
    Sometimes it's fun to be the mutt.

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I could see it. Uncle Sam likes to retain people that he's spent ... *ahem*... BOATLOADS... of money training. (see what I did there? :D) Re-enlistment bonuses could add up.

My sum total of Seals insider knowledge is that I flunked the swim test to even see if you could apply for BUDS. :oops:

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The only credible story in this thread :p