1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Preach it!!

2. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

I ask a guy at the boat ramp what he paid for his sparkly new boat, he said 74k. I smiled and waves as I passed him in my old Stratos.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Dont you be no bitch an buy it!!!!

Had shit luck again today. Going to try again tomorrow. Jesus I'm bad at this lol

4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Tough decision. E1481A5B-0457-4D82-B331-A04A61095BEC.jpeg

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I need some rod advice. (insert joke).

I 90% finesse fish. I have one baitcaster and I suck balls at it. I have 3 spinning rods and they're pretty much all ~$75 combo deals, stuff in that range. I have a 6' lightweight with a 20 series reel for panfish. 6-1/2" medium light with a 25 that was given to me, I mostly use it for drop shotting and ned rigs. The reel does not have enough drag for even a 3lb largemouth. I suppose I could switch that out, I like the rod well enough. 6-9" medium 30 series that I run 30lb braid with a 17lb flouro leader. It's pretty much my do-all, I throw a lot of pitching jigs on it, frogs, chatterbaits, etc. I know there are much better options but I'm learning. The baitcaster is on a medium heavy stick. I fucking suck at it so I don't use it much but the thought is to make that the frog/chatterbait rod.

I have my eye on a Fenwick 7'4" medium power extra fast action spinning rod. I want a good rod for the bulk of my fishing, which is wacky Senkos, neko Senkos, drop shots, ned rigs, etc. From what I've read this seems like a good choice. It's $150, and the first rod I've bought that wasn't a crummy combo deal, so I want to get it right.

What say you all?

6. 7’ or 7.5’. Med heavy extra fast.

7. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  8. Scotty87

Okay thanks boys. Out of curiousity, why the recommendations for med-heavy?

9. Scotty87

The Cashion is $20 less than the Fenwick. That’s nice, but not a huge deal. Do you just think it’s better I go 7’ med-heavy fast vs 7’4” med extra fast?

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

The last week of King Season in Alaska, any of you serious fishing guys should go to Alaska once if not multiple times in your life. My last clients guiding we got the Salmon grand slam in one day, King, Chum, Silver, Pink, and Sockeye. Not to mention rainbows, artic char, and grayling. And for the trout fisherman, salmon are spawning and dying now. Beads and flesh flies are on. Heading out right now on my day off!!
    ATAking.jpg I

Funkm05 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll pay shipping :D

12. Feel.

13. Second one. Most of my rods are med heavy fast or extra. Only med I use are for jerk baits which I have 2 specific rods for those and once and a while I’ll toss a dreaded crank bait from them. I have braid on all my rods except the one spinning rod I have for throwing really light stuff. Occasionally I’ll tie on a few feet of 8-15lb flouro or mono (if I’m fishing top water) for really clear water. It took me quite a while to understand the “feel” everyone was talking about but once you get it you will struggle Fishing with a super flexible rod. Note: these are my personal preferences and everybody has their own.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This thread is like watching a foreign movie in a language I kind of understand without the subtitles :crackup:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Gotta keep an eye on braided line on spinning reels, though. Due to the spinning/twisting motion as you reel, it will eventually twist itself up and cause issues, and could just snap.

16. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i'll throw my .02 worth in here.

After i sold all the bike stuff, i bought a cheap rod/reel baitcaster and started fishing the little 40 acre pond here in the neighborhood from the bank. Keep in mind, ive never bass fished in my life, and hadnt fished at ALL since i was about 13 years old. Started catching little 1-2 pounders at the dam and was told if i got a jon boat, there were some really hot spots mid lake along the shore. This pond was built in the 70's and hadnt had any pressure in over 10 years. Picked up a jon boat, and sure nuff, i could go up there and catch 15-20 three to four pound bass in just a few hours. Needless to say, i was hooked on bass fishing.

Oh, and i dont care what anyone says, (as long as you dont buy a friggin 70K boat), fishing is no WAY as expensive racing bikes!!!!!

Bro in law laughed and told me "youre shooting fish in a barrel, come on out to the big lakes and lets see how ya do!" Yea, boy, he wasnt lying, that shit's another world!! 2 years ago, we started tournament fishing together and even tho we havent gotten into the money yet, we dont do too bad. 150-200 boats all blasting off out of a cove tho is quite exhilarating tho!

I did deck out my jon boat (alumacraft 1436) with aluminum decking, put a troller up front as well as the back, and fish the hell out of these local reservoirs and have a blast doing it.

Granted, its no where near the "adrenalin rush" of racing bikes, but i'm digging it ALMOST as much as i enjoyed racing, but holy CRAP, racing bikes came naturally to me, this bass fishing thing has SOOOO many variables that come into play, its been 3 years since i started, and ive still got a shitload to learn.

Personal best was a private pond id never fished before (was trespassing so i havent been back), but it was this past February, 9 lb 4 oz.

Biggest yet in a tourney was 6.78 pounds. I'd post pics, but its been so long since ive posted on a forum, i dont have a way to post them anymore (too big for upload).

17. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Love my Denali rods and Lews reels.

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’m either a Fenwick or St. Croix guy for rods, but I love my Abu reels. My Revo X is my daily grinder, on a 6’ St. Croix Med-light rod.

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Sorry man ... just flat out wrong on this one. I’ve got a 2002 Lund Explorer SS 1675 with a 60hp outboard. That alone ran me $10k. Never mind the trolling motor ($2k), GPS/locator (will never admit :)), tackle, rods/reels, etc. etc. etc.

I picked up my fully decked out track bike for all of $4700.

Edit: That’s not saying that it can’t be done cheap, but so can racing. Just like anything, it depends on how much you want to do with it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    assjuice cyrus likes this.
  20. I fish out of basically the same boat when I’m heading in areas with lots of tress and brush randomly sticking up in the shallows. It’s so damn frustrating but even if you get a bite it gets addicting. No it is not anywhere near as expensive as boats even if you have a 70k boat financed (I won’t be doing that). You can spend a fair amount like I do but I go a bit overboard. Like you don’t need to bring 6-7 rods, doubles and triples of evything, etc. it’s one of the most challenging things I’ve ever started doing and it gets easier but you never master it. Ever.