1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bent Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pilotryan, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

Hi
    I just noticed when cleaning my chain that the rear wheel rim is slightly bent. I cant feel it at all when riding, but I've just been riding it on the street since Ive noticed it. I really dont know when it happened since the bike has gone down...well...a few times so put it nicely. Has anyone ridden the track on a slightly bent wheel? It seems like it could seriously F up traction but at the same time, it almost seems like it wouldn't make a difference. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

It' been a minute since I sent one to Will's rim repair but I think it was $100 bucks or so. Send it to him and get it fixed and have a straight wheel. Price may have changed but cheaper then a new one and chancing one you get off fleabay that might be bent as well.

Pilotryan likes this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Rear rims are cheap if you can find a straight one. What bike?....is that an R1 in your avatar?

Raceless man likes this.
  4. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

Hey, yeah its a 2011 R1. I've found a few but if the general consensus is that it won't matter too much then hopefully, I could keep riding like this.

5. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

7602403543 David Moore 80 bucks 60 to straighten it 20 to sent it back to you. Call him and he will give you his address. Does amazing work.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how often do you check your tire pressure?

7. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

Thaks will do. Its so minimal, hopefully he'll say it doesnt need...I hope

8. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

3 times a day at the track, and when my tire looks flat on the street :)

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Is the entire rim bent or just the lip? I'd just check it for run out and look up at to what is "acceptable" although they will probably say none is acceptable. FYI Harbor Freight a run out gauge and mount are like $15 and are perfect for non critical crap like this.

10. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

Its the rime. When its on the stand and I have the bike running in gear (wheel moving) I can see a slight wobble. Its supper minimal but at high speeds it could be an issue right?

11. John Branch

John Branch 90125

If you can see it with your eyes! You don’t need a tool to tell you, it needs to be replaced!:Poke:

12. John Branch

John Branch 90125

13. mike-guy

idk I raced in a wheel I could see a tiny wobble in. It had rain tires so it was last minute.

14. Pilotryan

Pilotryan Member

Thats comforting. So even with a slightly bent wheel in the "rain" while "racing" you didnt really notice any loss of traction. Sounds like I should be fine. I might just buy one to make quick swaps but its good to know that this little problem isnt much of a problem at all.
    Thanks

15. mike-guy

Hey man I try and get a quick reply in while taking a dump at work sometimes what can I say.