1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Seattle ...

Discussion in 'General' started by Scooter_428, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Scooter_428

Scooter_428 Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are staying in the Queen Anne District and hoping to do a day of city stuff and the rest more outdoorsy/hiking kinda things the remainder of the time.

Maybe a dumb question, but how common are black bears and animals as such on the hiking trails? Worth picking up some bear mace when we arrive?

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

rain racing.jpg

3. jp129

jp129 Well-Known Member

"Question, what kind of bear is best?":D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bear or beer? :D

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just cuz I’m curious about your answers ... yes. :D

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If you are staying on Queen Anne, then there are plenty of options near you (assuming the south side). Fremont Farmer's Market on Sundays, South Lake Union market on Saturdays.

If you want specific restaurants my wife has visited all of the really good ones (new and old) and can provide specifics. Good Asian food and lots of really good desserts (my favorites! :D).

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Answer is easy - the one not in front of me, the one in front of me.

:timeforabeer:

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Not that common at all. A cougar mauled a mountain biker recently, but that was the first time I had heard of a death from wildlife in a long ass time. I believe any bear injuries in Washington were from hunters thinking it was dead when it wasn't. And even then, probably counting all of those on one hand. There aren't many bears in the area and they aren't like Tahoe bears where they don't seem to care about people being around. Highly doubt you will come anywhere near one on your travels.

Scooter_428 likes this.
  9. shakazulu12

10. jp129

jp129 Well-Known Member

"False. Black bear." :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Black beer is yummy.

12. rwdfun

rwdfun

How can you tell with all those hippy hipsters running around? I guess you just assume if they are drinking an IPA they aren't homeless? I'm not sure that works out there in the NW.

Nah, All you need is to NOT be the slowest person in your group. You are welcome. Glad I can be of help

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Bag Seattle and go to the San Juan islands.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What bar was that ? :D

Scooter_428 likes this.
  15. shakazulu12

Different smells really. Hipsters prefer essential oils and shit. The homeless people just smell like piss and Metalhead. If you haven't been to Portland, the homeless problem is out of control here since they legalized "urban camping". They have their own little villages now that even have rules up on boards at the entrance.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’ll be there August 5th-10th, but I’m stuck in a convention so my fun will be limited to eating and drinking. I do love seafood though so I’m super stoked to actually get some good shit.

17. Yokohama

Yokohama Active Member

Don't J-walk. You will probably get a death stare. Check out the Fremont troll and the sound garden.

Scooter_428 likes this.
  18. Yokohama

Yokohama Active Member

Oh, maybe a little early but some salmon boats should be coming back from Alaska from the summer season in August. Can be entertaining watching them returning through the locks.

Scooter_428 likes this.
  19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Everyone has pretty well covered it. Queen Anne is a fantastic area and you'll have a lot of fun. Don't worry about the wildlife while hiking; I've been here 33 years and live in an area called Bear Creek, where there's literally a (tagged) dozen of them, and I've still yet to friggin see one. (They've sure ransacked my garbage and left some monster poops tho.)

Depending on how long you're here, you might want to only spend the time on one of the Olympics/San Juans vs Rainier/St. Helens. If it came down to that, I'd pick the Olympics and San Juans. The big mountains are stunning, but I've been around the world twice and the Olympics and San Juans are the most beautiful places in it.

Scooter_428 likes this.
  20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Oh, and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet - budget an afternoon or evening for Smarty Pants.

pscook and Scooter_428 like this.