1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric weed eater

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, May 18, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How much is an additional battery?

2. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have seen the 80v batteries listed from $150-$180. The Ryobi 40v battery cost around $100.

3. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I’ve had two of the Ryobi 40v batteries go bad on me. They just stop charging. Home Depot replaced them both times. The newest one they gave me has a different look to it. Hope they fixed the flaw.

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I few years ago, I broke down and bought an electric trimmer- think it's a B&D.
    I had always used my trusty 2 stroke I had for many years, - until the plastic got so brittle the fuel line outlet broke out of the little gas tank on it.
    So I said what the H and bought an electric on sale a few years ago. Used it yesterday- still works OK- no where near the power of my cheapy 2 stroke- but then again- I really don't need it.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I bought one of those GreenWorks 40V extendable pole hedge trimmers and love it.....I don't have a whole lot to do, even less on this property but the battery seems to do a good job holding its charge. I've never grabbed that tool and not have enough juice to do what needed to be done, if it's low then I throw it on the charger.

I could be wrong but think Greenworks has been at this electric tool game for awhile now, I'd def consider adding a trimmer too. (Especially now that I built my own battery tab welder, so I can easily rebuild battery packs for much less than the cost of what they want for a new one.)

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Do you use it for edging? I looked at it today, and my only concern was that reviews stated that was a weakness.

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Electric yard tools..... :Puke:

8. sdg

sdg *

Stihl has electrics... Boom. Done.

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense if you've got a normal suburban sized lot. 2 acres means I need real engines...and me being lazy means I need to win the lottery and hire someone to use the equipment I already own :D

11. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I have a black and decker 2v, weed eater, blower, and drill. so I have plenty of batterys. takes about 45 minutes to mow my yard. if I have kept up on trimming it lasts, but most of the time I need another battery to finish. my only complante is that black and Decker does not make a multiple battery charger.

12. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

The AFS (automatic feed systems) are the major flaws with the new style trimmers.
    They work great for a few months until they don't work at all.

Black and Decker aka GrassHogs system is complete shit. My mom had one and after trying to convert it I broke down and ordered a Greenworks for her. It didn't have the afs, but the older bump system. I'll see how it goes.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Interesting. In 3 years with my current trimmer, I’ve had zero issues with it.

14. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Does it have the AFS system?
    Looks like just about everything has the auto feed now along with batteries. Maybe we got a lemon but there was enough complaining over the internet about them.

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yup.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I like this for weed eating.

upload_2018-5-20_15-38-45.jpeg upload_2018-5-20_15-38-45.jpeg

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  18. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I have 5 so never a question for me. And I get it they're quiet, don't annoy your neighbors, simpler, etc... I drove through a neighborhood around here and everyone was out doing their yard work. I think they probably spend more time in their postage stamp lots then I do on my 5. And that includes working on clearing trees and cutting downed trees. The scene driving through there gave me a panic attack and I had to get out of there ASAP.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Heck I've got the 40V and I can do my whole 1/2 acre yard with one batt. Totally impressed.

Triple X likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator