about SUMMIT POINT passing in a RACE

Discussion in 'General' started by motorcycleman, Apr 2, 2004.

1. motorcycleman

motorcycleman Well-Known Member

Since i have never been there i was just wondering if you guys that have been there could tell me where some of the best places to pass are around the track.................?

2. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

From a photographers perspective I have seen only two no brainer passing spots!

T1 (End of front straight)
    T5 (Get a run on the guy through the chute (T4) and pass in the busstop)

And that's about it.

Of course there are those places that the locals know about but you will learn those when they pass you and you say..."Hey you can't do that here?"

Summitt is a VERY locally dominant track. The concrete patches and the sweepers must be figured out before you worry about passing guys!

3. motorcycleman

motorcycleman Well-Known Member

about racing at summit

It seems like it is a very difficult track to ride with all the patch work and off camber turns........... with little places to pass...........i am just trying to learn as much as i can before my first weekend there racing............unfortunately i can't do the practice on the 8th

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

If you are riding with someone of equal speed then passing will be a little bit tougher but you can pretty much pass in a lot of places if you are quicker than someone. I saw all kinds of passing going on during the endurance race there last year, even on the outside of the turn 6-7-8 area. :D

If it's your first weekend there take the time to learn the track and don't worry about other people. The track is not all that bad and personally I really like it. The patchwork on the exit of turn 6 was new to me last year but as long as it's dry it's not an issue. If it's wet just hold a tighter inside line and you'll be fine. :up:

Good luck! :beer:

5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Turns 1 through 10.

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Hey Buck, don't forget to tell him to keep both tires on the pavement. :Poke: :D

7. exit of 3, over the gator strip and some times thru the grass. ;)
    2-4 are definitely creative passing zones for those that run the track often.

T4 is passable, but also a horrible place to crash (80-100+ mph with little run off room before Mr. Evil Tire wall).

Will the air fence be up there for this event in T4?

8. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Great passing opportunitees abound,depending on your skill level:
    * Going under someone on the brakes into 1
    * Driving around the outside of them exit 2
    * Driving under them exiting 2
    * Usually most people enter T3 too early and slow, go around...
    * Passing through 4 can be done but locals do it best
    * Either side of someone into 5 and either side coming out
    * Depending on your drive from 5 you can stuff into 6
    * Locals will get you inside or outside exiting 6
    * Turn in to 7 too early and a parade goes by on your right
    * The parade will continue through 8
    * Get a good drive out of 9 or people will beat you to 10
    * Don't turn in to 10 too soon, there are bumps/waves near the curbing and you'll be pushed wide on the exit.
    Stay out a bit later and try to use the positive camber right of the tracks center line for a better drive.

On a good lap you can execute every single one of those passes depending on traffic and skill, it's fun!

9. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

What he said.

Once you learn the correct lines I will agree with Monty. You can pass almost anywhere depending on riding ability. I believe you can also pass between 8 and 9. Even with the concreate patches there is still alot of traction. I think it is easier to pass @ Summit than VIR.
    Kent
    Even more simple pass wherever someone is holding you up!

10. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Although Summit is near and dear to my heart as my home track, it's about the easist track in the circuit. Road Atlanta may hold the title for most dull.

This is based on my 'research' of 10 different tracks last season, 11 including the AllSportsGP mini-motard course. :)

11. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Re: What he said.

Yes the outside of 8 wil set you up for a pass on the inside of 9 works great.

12. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

All these guys who have heard horrors stories about Summit are sacred §h!tle§§ about racing there, making is easier on the locals to continue thier dominance. Let them believe that Summit has less traction than wet ice on a steel deck bridge and stay way.

Let those who want to race a combination of a fast and technical track come out and play. And learn. And come back for more.

Just like Buck! :D

13. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

As many laps as you have at Summit, only you would say it is easy. :rolleyes:

:D

14. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Summit sure as heck is wider that VIR in spots!

Some folks freak out at the concrete patches at Summit. Wonder what they would say about Mid-Ohio and the transition from asphalt to concrete there.

Keep quiet about that T8-9 pass!! Don`t let the outsiders know about it! ;)

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Word!

8-9 maybe difficult against a rider of similar skill. 1 is so easy under braking, it should be illegal. 4 requires a solid sphincter to go around the outside, but it works or at a minimum puts you in a preferred position for 5. Everything else is no big deal unless you have my kind of luck.

16. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Re: Re: What he said.

I was thinking that when I posted it, but I rode there forever before I realized it could be done. Definetly not as easy to do in the expert races.:beer:

17. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Re: Re: What he said.

:(

18. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

this is all good info. personally, the places i use most are braking into one.

outside of people in 3

outside or inside on the brakes into 5

and right after t10 as i will pace the person going in and carry more corner speed to pass them on the straight.

ive pulled some passes in other places but these are my favorite.:cool: