1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 is on now

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 17, 2018.

1. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

Anyone Knows if I can download the full race? Or watch on demand?
    Thanks

ToofPic likes this.
  2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

What he said ^^

3. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Fanschoice should have it archived in their video section in the near future.

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Correct. I was visiting Tech on Friday and they had the templates there. One of May's crew came by with a filter, Tech checked it and it didn't pass. He didn't get DQ'd so I assume they figured it out and installed the correct filter.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I call BS.

No way tech found his air filter under Lake Sunoco. :D

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I had to explain why I knew who Ducote was to my wife while watching yesterday, the airbox story came up.

cajun636 likes this.
  7. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

:crackup:You said what I was thinking
    Still sucks though :rtfrb:

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Don’t want to be DQ? Simple don’t ride a R6 and come to the dark, green, side.

TX Joose, cajun636 and BigBird like this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Dustin rides a 675 I thought

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

This air filter stuff is crazy.

11. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Basically they rewrote the airbox rule this year after last year's debacle. The way the new rule is worded, I believe there are no aftermarket r6 air filters that will pass if they are following the letter of the rule.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Even the best air filter in the world gives you what... 2whp gain? Why is this even a thing?

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Norm McDonald is where the "N" comes from in K&N. He sold his part years ago. His family owns K&N Yamaha in Tulsa, OK. I think it is the oldest Yamaha dealership in the US. Sam is Norm's son. Sam raced in AMA superbike back when the class first started and also in the GP world championship. Cooper is Sam's son I believe. The family has been involved in roadracing a very long time.

panthercity, Joe Lopez and noles19 like this.
  14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When this was unfolding, I thought of all the threads that would be here by the time I got home!

The rulebook (with air filter section in bold underline) was published Dec 1. It was covered in detail in each of the FOUR (4) riders meetings. They also stated that EVERY bike would be checked, which was different from years past. The rule says air filter must match "Make, model, and year" of motorcycle. Simple. They added "year" after the West controversy.

The appeals board in the West case made a ruling that in the case of different size openings, a 1mm difference is over size, just as a 4mm difference is also illegal. In light of that, they SUGGESTED everyone use stock air filters.

They have a go/no go gauge for the R6 filters in tech. They have samples of legal filters in tech.

I don't know the details of who was DQ'd and why, but I do know they made every effort to notify everyone of what the standard would be and, did their best to help everyone be in compliance. What else can the organization do? Suggesting that they somehow wanted this mess, for publicity or otherwise, is worse than Richard Chambers' announcing.

The rule may be stupid. I won't disagree that the race is not won or lost based on the air filter. However, the rule is there, and it's the same for everyone. Comply with the rules, or take the chance on the DQ?

I do feel bad for the guys who were DQ'd. Despite what anyone says, it's a tough race to finish, let alone win- and for someone to lose all of that based on a technical misunderstanding SUCKS!

In further defense of the riders, there was a scramble for stock air filters after Thursday night's riders meeting when it was announced that EVERY airbox would be checked. Some people just blew it off, or decided to gamble it appears.

You can make fun of the 200 all you want, but there is more money on the table here than any other race in North America at this time- so you have to expect the rules to be taken seriously.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I do not like YourGay, but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the fella :(

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

But a Suzuki broke the lap record :D

I think it's different in the case of the R6 because the stock setup has a pretty restrictive snorkel attached to the top of the filter that alot of aftermarket ones semi or completely due away with, so its worth a bit more than 2.

rafa and TLR67 like this.
  17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I'd honestly like to see a dyno comparison of a built motor with like 4 different filters, one being oem.

18. Gino230

Thanks man, as usual it was a blast. I was pitted behind @cajun636 so that was fun too.

I spun a rod bearing in the first practice session. It was my own fault. I backshifted the bike at a club race back in Feb, (the tach about went around 360 degrees) but she kept on running. I thought it would be ok, we ran it on the dyno and changed the oil and went for it. Rod started knocking in the first session. Foolish in hindsight, but I have had such good luck with engines in my career that I had a false sense of security. So I missed all of practice and qualifying. I bought a used MA Superstock engine from Anne Roberts and my wife drove it up from Ft. Lauderdale Friday afternoon. The guys put it in Friday night. I went out in AM practice Saturday, then entered the GT race for practice. The engine had 8 weekends on it- cam chain was rattling, all kinds of little noises, but it wasn't slow! I got a provisional start from the last row, I think 56th position?

Not sure what happened with the first red flag, but it played out in my favor as I moved up from row 21 to row 17. I didn't see Valentin's crash, only the bike and him laying there during the second red flag. I saw the video after the race, thank God he is ok. I am shifting into 5th there so I can only imagine how fast he is going in that spot. Second restart was on lap 9 and I was in row 15. Dunlop had at least 2 versions of the 180 slick, I was on harder compound. We had zero setup / practice time and my setup was not conducive to the softer version that most of the riders were on. So I was starting the race on a tire I had never ridden.

I slowly worked my way forward, I had a pretty good battle with Helmbach for a while. Poor Eric had to pass me about 10 times in the infield, only for me to draft by on the banking. We got separated on lap 31 when I pitted. I was supposed to pit on 29, but I think I got lapped right around that time because it seemed that the scoring tower that I was watching jumped laps pretty quickly. We were planning a 2 stop strategy originally, with a rear tire on the second stop. My pit stop was very fast- fuel and a quick 1/2 pint of water. The tire looked pretty good and we were only getting some mild spin on the left side so with my crew yelling "just GO GO GO" I hopped on the bike and took off. I think the whole lap including the pit stop was like 2:15.

My crew chief had said "just go all the way!" as I was leaving the pit. It took a minute to register that this meant I would be doing the entire race on one tire- I had not done the math, I was just focused on riding and the race is so long that I don't think about the end, just what I have to do to get to the next stop. So About the time I was going around the banking, I started thinking "forget the tire, we're not going to make it (fuel)!" Of course the bottom half of the field only ends up doing 53-54 laps so although it was pushing it, I trusted my crew, as they have alot of experience running the R6 (and I don't.) On we went. There was alot of traffic and I never achieved my full lap time potential (story of my life). I finally got a little clear track with about 6 laps to go and I decided I was going to push for my goal pace (1:58). I was spinning everywhere on the left side. Turn 2, the esses, the dogleg, and of course big time coming out of the barrel turn. With about 3 laps to go, coming out of the barrel turn, I couldn't get my left leg to come back on the bike. I was cramping up, but I said screw it, it isn't going to kill me, it's just a stupid cramp. The cramping continued to get worse, but I got a huge shot of adrenaline with 2 laps to go when Eslick came by me as we were crossing start finish. I swear he peeled off some paint it was so close. It physically moved the bike. You got to hand it to the guy, he was freakin' ON it, 11o% everywhere. Right before I saw the white flag, I noticed the fuel light was on. Baby Jesus, please let us make it! I took the low line in case some other fast guys were coming, I didn't want anyone trying to get a draft and ramming me if I flamed out. Made it across the line and the cramping took over big time. Again, my own fault, poor hydration from the day before.

I was feeling very motivated this year, so I'm glad about the result. I didn't reach my lap time goal, but I know what I have to do to reach that goal. I just need some more seat time to execute it. I just got tired and lost focus in the end. Something I will be sure does not happen next year!

It was great racing with all these guys. Friends that I knew, and guys that I don't know but have huge respect for. I think it elevates everyone's game being on the track with true pros. And the Daytona 200 will always be special to me, it was the first race I ever saw back in '93 when my Dad took my brother and I to bike week. We didn't have bikes, just drove around in a pickup truck having a blast. I never imagined I'd get to actually run in a real race like that.

19. Gino230

My crew and I, and Me telling Danny that his pass scared the crap out of my wife.:bow: IMG_0225 2.JPG IMG_3065.JPG

TX Joose, j cal, 03RumbleBee and 8 others like this.
  20. No doubt. :D