1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3d printer

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Feb 1, 2018.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Anyone have one, and what are you using it for? I have one on the way, and have some plans. Just want to see what the resident genius’ are doing.

2. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I use mine quite a bit. Lots of around the house stuff, items for the kids, Stuff for the workshop, housings for electronic projects. I even use it to make stencils for spray-paint. Works awesome. It is a PRUSA i3 knockoff

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I make little widgets and such from Thingiverse.com. We just started creating our own designs in Blender. The latest creation is a 3D printed Raspberry Pi 3 powered gameboy with rubberized buttons using NinjaFlex filament. Fun stuff!

4. backcountryme

That is what I have coming. Got it for free with some points from hotel stays. Always wanted one, now I gotta make stuff to make it worth it. Ha.

5. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I really want to build a core xy printer for the bigger bed, and scalability. I just need to find a good DIY project plan.

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Got two. Last one is an FT-5 larger scale printer. Can do 300x300x400 printing.

Lots of misc car stuff, stuff around the house and cool giveaways or personal momento stuff for friends and family.

7. I use mine in either a lot or not at all. Mainly for making molds for carbon fiber stuff. Been too busy travelling to make anything fun lately.

8. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

I ran a MonoPrice Select Mini into the ground after a thousand (or more) hours of printing. My new Prusa Mk3 will be here Tuesday. I print a lot of stuff for airsoft and my little brother (who is a machinist) prints his own prototype motorcycle parts before doing a run of the "real" ones.

I'm aiming to 3d print an AR lower to house a 22LR pistol upper in the future as well.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I bought one for Christmas. Currently making some battery adapters so I can use my Makita 18v Li-ion batteries on other brands power tools. Other uses I got it for are custom electrical enclosures, casting patterns, mill soft jaws, holding fixtures, and kids toys. I bought the cheapest Chinese one I could find (Anet a6 from banggood) not expecting much, and have actually been surprised how good the prints are. The printer itself is shit, but it works ok lol. I've got a bunch of stuff on the way to make my own now, so hopefully will have that done before the end of winter (don't know which winter though....)

Get one, they're fun.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

got a stratasys FDM and a Form1+ at work. i print work stuff. customers love it.

11. backcountryme

I am going to have to figure out how to design my own stuff now. Ha.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

While thingiverse, and youmagine are great places with tons of stuff to print, I'm not sure I'd find one nearly as useful if I couldn't model my own stuff. While I don't use it personally, look into fusion360, for cheap/free yet powerful and intuitive 3d modelling cad. There are a ton of how too videos on youtube university to get you up to speed. I use Rhino and Mechanical desktop (what I use at work)

backcountryme likes this.
  13. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I got a Prusa Mk2S for Christmas, printed a few sample parts & some stuff off thingiverse (better filament holder, cell phone case, cookie cutters, etc). Planning to put an ad on CL to see if I can sell printing service locally. Potentially going to design my own trinkets (thinking cookie cutters or hitch covers right now) for sale locally and possibly on Shapeways. Intend to get the kids playing with TinkerCAD or similar and making their own parts (toys, whatever). Plan to cast aluminum parts using lost-PLA techniques this year.

EDIT: forgot about prop stuff too, maybe a Stormtrooper helmet or 2.

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I've got a RepRap Wilson-II.

So far, I've made parts for a case for it. LYIL (last year I learned) I suck at 3d modeling.

15. backcountryme

Mine is set to be delivered tomorrow. Then I get to put it together. I am pretty excited to play with it. I plan on trying to make some RC car parts.

16. backcountryme

I am curious as to how strong the carbon fiber filament is.

17. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I've heard it's pretty stout. It's also tough on nozzles so you'll probably need to upgrade to a hardened steel nozzle or even better a ruby one (aftermarket errthang!)

Which unit did you get?

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

YouTube carbon fiber strength test and a comparison between a bunch of filaments was done where they made propeller blades for an outboard. I don't think cf did that well.

The strands of fiber are so small they offer almost no structural benefit.

19. backcountryme

Prusa I3 clone with self leveling bed. Waiting on fedex to deliver it right now. It is “out for delivery “ right now.

20. backcountryme

I got it, and just finished putting it together. Gonna start leveling it and set it up.