1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad news

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

RIP racer.

2. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

I can’t get this gutted feeling to leave, I just can’t believe this happened. Kurt was an awesome guy! Him and I had a lot of fun battling each other on the track. I always looked forward to seeing Kurt when I would show up to the track, I would swing by his pit or he would come over to mine and say hi. I haven’t raced for a couple years now, but the people in the paddock is what I miss most, and Kurt was one that I will always remember! I pray for strength for his wife and kids and that they will be ok. Race In Peace Kurt.

scottn, ToofPic, tiggen and 4 others like this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

This is just horrible. Kurt was such a good guy. It's such a damn shame.

Kurt, you and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

So sad.. wishing the best for the family.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

RIP. Prayers for the family.

6. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Rest in peace, Kurt. I'm sad that I never got to meet you in person, but you were always such a kind friend and clearly made this world a better place. I pray your family can somehow take some comfort in knowing what a blessing you were to everyone.

7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I had the good fortune to meet Kurt for the first time. It was at Metalhead’s party in SC. I drove from Durham down to Richie’s house , and Kurt had his camper parked in MH’s front yard. It was cold, raining and generally a bummer-weather type of day. It didn’t matter, about 5 or 6 of us hung out in Richie’s man cave, talked racing, cars, women, beer and WERA. After 10 minutes with Kurt, it was as if we’d been friends for years. He was really proud to show me some pics on his phone of a C-5 Corvette he had bought and was fixing up. My heart has been aching all day since Richie contacted me on FB to tell me. I send prayers for his family and friends. I’m really glad I had the honor of meeting Kurt. RIP my friend! I’m a better person for having met you.

scottn, ToofPic, Shenanigans and 6 others like this.
  8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I’ll miss you brother.

Glad we got to chat at the GNF.

I don’t know what to say. I’m just mad and sad

9. Oh damn I can’t believe this. I scrolled past this post a few times because I thought it was about another rockstar or somebody getting sick or something. Then I saw it kept getting longer and clicked on it.

This is unbelievable. He was such a good dude. Always helpful in the paddock (even if he bitched about my slippery ramp every time), and was so passionate about racing. We pitted beside each other quite a bit over the years.

I can’t believe this.

Race in Peace buddy. :(

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

RIP. Best to his family, moving forward without.

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Damn. I didn't really know him except from posts here, condolences to family and everyone who knew him.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

RIP. I only knew Kurt to say hello at the track and from here. Prayers to the family.

Hug your family and tell them you love them every chance you get.

13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

What a legacy.
    You read all these posts and the recurring theme is how warm, generous, welcoming, etc. this dude in the cowboy hat was. Races, trackdays, dinner... it didn't matter. That was him, always.
    I won't lie, before we were close I used to pit anywhere near the Yo! pit just to have a chance of hanging out with that bunch because it looked like they were always having fun. Once we became good friends it put a smile on my face to see him holding a spot for me as I pulled in on Friday because, as usual, he was the first one there.
    Kurt actually complimented me at GNF a couple weekends ago on how my mindset regarding racing had become much closer to his in the past couple years. "Dude, we're old guys on 250's . We probably won't be getting a last minute wildcard call from Europe anytime soon. If we're not having fun than what are we doing?"
    He watched me get my son ready for his first mini practice Saturday morning and chuckled when I mentioned how I was waaaay more nervous getting him suited up than myself. "Now you're getting it" is all he said.
    Don't get me wrong, he was still competitive as hell. After 1st practice Friday morning he looked at me and said "Better bring it, I got something for you today!" I'm smiling right now just thinking about his face as he said it. He absolutely meant it.
    What Kurt taught me was that racing can be about fun, family, fellowship, etc. and still be competitive at the same time. You really can have it all if you remember to never put yourself first.
    He lived that life completely from his Army service to the Pinewood Derby to working with trackday first timers. He lived it every single weekend. We were all new to the track once upon a time right? Tell me you don't remember your first instructor... How cool is it that a lot of them get to remember Kurt? Hell, the guy went out of his way to find newbies on Saturday morning of race weekends to ask if they knew where registration was. Did they have their paperwork filled out correctly? Is their bike ready for tech? Many have already mentioned this, I suspect he did this to many more as well.
    My hope is that our group keeps pitting together and flying the Yo! flag, literally and figuratively. But, by doing that we need to step up and be a little more like Kurt. They're a man down in tech this morning, grab Kurt. Cornerworker needs an EZUP, Kurt has an extra. Genny is acting up, Kurt can check out the carb or let you borrow one of his. We've all seen him do these things time and time again.
    My goal is for that flag to become the unofficial WERA help desk for anyone who needs it. That's how I will honor Kurt, I think he'd like that.

My prayers to Conrad, Olivia and Dee. Your WERA family will always be here for you.

kurt.JPG kurt 2.JPG kurt 3.JPG

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I poked around this morning on the news link on the first page, couldn't find any updates. Was wondering if the girl that hit him was texting ? Anybody local know any more ?

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Thanks brother for making me smile.

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Getting hit with vehicular homicide ruins lots of things. Texting is just a summary offense.

17. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

Travis please share this on kurts face book page if you are not on facebook i can copy is and share it for you.

ToofPic and themassagelady like this.
  18. I know a lot about the incident and what evidence has been gathered but would rather not air it on a forum. I think Monday or Tuesday GSP will be issuing a press release related to the charges.

ToofPic and themassagelady like this.
  19. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yeah, I am. I was thinking this was just for wera people but maybe not. If you knew Kurt, you knew he raced so maybe everyone else will get something out of it too. Thanks Josh.

ToofPic and Phl218 like this.
  20. Killswitch

Killswitch Redneckistanian

Absolutely great post Travis! You said a lot of things I haven't been able to put into words yet. I swear when I read the line about "If we're not having fun than what are we doing?" I totally heard Kurt's voice ... that was just so him.