1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 WERA GNF Updates

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sean you can blow smoke and blame others about all that transpired after the R3 Cup. You can trash your customers who attended all your races and bought goods and services from the vendors at your events. But the truth is all of this is on you. You are holding a race where $18,000 in prizes are on the line and you don’t expect it to be taken seriously. All you had to do was announce up front that all of the front runners would have the heads pulled and parts inspected against reference stock parts. Post-race you do the tear down with all present to see the inspection and all of this is done and over in an hour. The winners have their victory celebration, the losers know they were beaten fair and square, and Yamaha is not embarrassed by all of this.

Did tempers get overheated in tech area post-race? Yes they did, but your team was a contributing factor and in no way helped calm the atmosphere. I will never understand why you and your team are so upset when paying customers actually follow your rules and put up the money you require to do a post-race teardown. If you don’t want post-race teardowns to happen take them out of the rules. This is all very simple and you had last year’s event to learn from but you repeated the same mistakes and then blame your customers for your failure to control events.

Many parties are now left to consider the future:

· Yamaha has to consider whether being part of this event is a positive or a negative and worth the dollars they invested.

· Several race teams, us included, must evaluate if attending WERA events are worth the thousands of dollars spent for the treatment received.

· WERA racers are pitted against each other and trashed by the keyboard warriors on your forum and they find encouragement by you and your comments.

Sean as the Operations Leader of WERA you need to consider what you and your team did right and what you must do better to control events when WERA host great races like the R3 Cup. I would have communicated this to you in a private email if you had not joined and provided encouragement to the forum haters.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. Keyboard warrior reporting for duty, let me guess, you didn’t win but we’re one of the ones heated in post tech? I wasn’t there as I was enjoying a weekend with my wife. Which for the record I took seriously and I followed the rules. It cost me about 3 sets of tires for one night but no protests were lodged and I got a trophy, 3x - I’ll just throw that in there. Post race tech with heads off in an hour? I’d love to see that. Hell in BSB we are there until usually 8 or 9pm, and those are just the random tear downs without a specific protest and there’s a lot less on the line than a new r6.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I don't know Ken, but to his point - many times the topic of protesting has been brought up, where WERA's stance is that it's not their job to ensure legality all the time - encouraging riders to "self-police" each other, when needed. It's contradicting to state that and then mock the protest when it happens (even if to some - based on how people act - it warrants mocking).

WERA's aim is to be a professional organization. I wasn't at the event, I don't know what happened - but with bikes and other high-dollar item giveaways, you bet I'd be tearing down the top 3 after the race. It'd be announced beforehand and be as transparent and professional as possible. Certainly wouldn't add to any drama - that stuff survives on its own.

Do the podium ceremony, present virtual checks, or whatever - and do the tear down behind the scenes and award the real prizes after everyone is deemed legal. You can always issue a presser with revised results if needed. The event and support of Yamaha is too significant to let it be anything other than great, for both WERA and Yamaha.

5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

The guy protesting still would've only gotten a generator..

JustaNobody and Mot Okstef like this.
  6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I pretty much disagree with everything written here. After all, we were the ones torn down. Yamaha had their tech and it was the techs decision to perform the inspections which occurred. When the protest was filed, we gladly tore the head off our bike. After the tech deemed us legal, Huff asked to inspect our parts, then dreamed up some BS about our cams be welded up and reground. The tech being professional stated he could not measure the cams with the instruments he had at the track, so the podium was cancelled. Even if Yamaha/WERA did a top end tear down with all the bikes, the same thing would have occurred. Our bike made 42.6hp on MR12. Our bike had 210 psi compression, the 102 bike pushed 250psi. I'm not saying 102 was illegal, I'm saying that bike was pushing a lot of compression and I believe the Jigalov bike was the same. The 24 bike was clearly not the fastest bike at the track, but X rode his ass off as usual and got the much deserved win. If you're butthurt about the keyboard warriors trashing Nate, well then welcome BBS....

7. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

I'm sorry but a compression test is a joke. It won't tell you anything about the cam and it won't really tell you anything about the bore. It won't show if you are running ceramic crank bearings or numerous other modifications to the bottom end. Never understood why people think that's a valid test for performance or legality.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Because compression check can give lots in indicators.

Are you familiar with engine building? Just curious as to your comment about compression in relation to Camshafts...

772emerson likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would we have to announce anything? The exact same issue would have happened either way. You guys would absolutely refuse to believe Xaviers bike was legal no matter what we said. You tried to protest him before the race and when that didn't work you tried after the race. He was legal both times. But here we are, still bitching and blaming others.

BTW - this is how serious racing is done. The bitching in the pits and blaming the sanctioning body isn't. That is pure little league bullshit. We did everything exactly the way we are supposed to.

What exactly did our "team" do wrong? Copoulos was pushing buttons and Charlies temper got out of hand. Nothing major there really. Absolutely no one was upset about the teardown. If I didn't want to do it I'd have shot it down for the capricious hunting expedition it actually was.

They consider it very much a positive. It was a great race. The whining in the paddock was nothing in comparison to the racing.

I'm glad it's public. because I for one am tired of the never ending bitching that has been done by a few riders parents the last few years. Same parents all the time. I would hope the riders can come out and have a great time but leave the bullshit at home. Yes, I do hear all the complaining you've been doing. Yes, I know you don't come to me with it because I won't tolerate the little league bullshit. Yes, I know your feelings will get hurt and I'll be the asshole that ruined racing for you. I'm fine with that because the dischord you and the others have caused in what was to be fun racing for the kids isn't worth it.

I am disappointed in how all of you have been acting for years and it needs to stop. Not just you specifically but all of the handful of never ending complaining parents. You all need to grow up and act like actual adults and stop ruining your childrens time at the track.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm well aware what a compression test does, and I told the tech in the tech shed that cutting the head and thin gaskets are legal so high compression numbers don't really mean anything. Maybe he assumed the motors had to be bone stock? It was Yamahas tech not WERA's. Either way, the protest rules worked so I don't know what the fuss is about. Yates was pushing for the top 5 to be torn down. Well if I was in his position (or yours) I'd want the same so I could avoid shoveling out $1600 bucks to get the top 4 torn down.

Ceramic crank bearings? Were we racing Ducatis....? I know what you're saying..... :)

MELK-MAN and Robby-Bobby like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We tore the top 5 down. We didn't go to the crank as there was no need for it. We had an expert from Yamaha there handling the checking of bikes/parts. It was done properly and professionally.

I will absolutely mock this protest as it had no basis in anything but parental ego. There was absolutely nothing in the results or laptimes that could have led anyone to conclude anyone was cheating. It was all riding. The only rider with a power advantage had it because if his weight. Also keep in mind that this was the second protest that day from the same people of the same rider.

We did everything extremely transparently, all the riders and crew were in the same area and could see what was being done on all bikes. Both doors of the garage were open so others could hang out and watch. No secrets, no bullshit, no games.

The ONLY reason this took two more days is the protesting mechanic insisting that the Expert from Yamaha didn't know what stock cams looked like. So to make sure we were 100% accurate the cams from the protested bike were taken back to Yamaha to compare them. I have full documentation of the comparison and they are legal.

MELK-MAN and regularguy like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

It's not a test of legality, it's a test to give you an idea of the build state of the motor, nothing more or less. It in conjunction with other things gives you information you can use to see what else you may want to look at.

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Sorry about that, I didn't realize Charlie had such a temper. I never net him before. He's a nice fella.......

I have no problem with a tear down but I have a problem when someone dreams up some bullshit hoping some hail mary miracle will DQ our bike. I applaud the tech for taking the extra steps and proving our cams were good. If he just said they're good an denied the extra inspection, well the conspiracy theorists would be going apeshit. It's just a damn shame the podium got pulled.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Probably one of those 300db ones that gives Br0oM3 night sweats. :D

Gorilla George and Mot Okstef like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The one thing where I think I truly did make a mistake was letting podium get delayed. I wasn't involved in the decision on waiting until after the teardowns but I did know about it and should have changed it. Next time protest or not I'm going back to the podium happens with what happened on track. The reasoning made perfect sense after other DQ's in the past made all the podium shots useless but at least we had something. I just kept going back and forth in my head until it was too late and I apologize for that.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nice. Well done.

Where was Fasola? :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  17. Announcing tear downs does nothing, you know there is a possibility when you enter. The fact there was a Yamaha tech there makes this even funnier because it leaves a lot less to interpretation of people stating it was checked wrong g etc. this protest was clearly from a butthurt standpoint which is where I have a problem with it. Face the facts And dissect why your rider got beat and adjust accordingly.

18. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

LOL! Nope. It was the EF3000si Generator. Does that mean it's 3000db? :crackup:

19. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Sounds like I missed a lot of fun at the GNF this year.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You did! The event was flat out great. The protest stuff was such a minor blip on the whole thing it's amusing that it's still being talked about but not surprising.

950 or so entries, 4 days of racing, 70's every day, two transports and both will be okay. One of the best GNF's ever.