1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mtn bike helmet

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Sep 4, 2017.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

So today I took a nice header on the mtn bike and cracked my GIRO savant road helmet. It's seen double duty as I never thought having 2 helmets made much sense. With that said I've decided now to have a road and mtn bike helmet. Any suggestions. Looking for the best coverage on a half shell. Looking at the giro Montaro and TLD A2

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I gave up and went bell full face downhill. I had two crashes that landed on my face. The helmet didn't help at all. I have to protect the moneymaker.

V5 Racer likes this.
  3. wac

wac Well-Known Member

MIPS on any of them.

4. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Sorry about the crash, hope you're not too banged up.

I'm picky as shit about helmets and have been through many. My current MTB helmet is a Mavic Crossride and it's decent. It's a little big, a little heavy and the airflow ain't great but the coverage is very good and it's comfy.

Good luck. Helmet shopping is a pain in the ass. And paying $100+ for a small piece of styrofoam and some paint and straps SUCKS.

5. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My son is racing cross country mtb with the high school program. Their team helmet is the Fly Freestone. His other helmet that came highly recommended is the Kali Maraka.
    YMMV.

rk97 likes this.
  7. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

8. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

What kind of riding do you do? I've been considering FF for my XC/trail with occasional DH endeavors for the same reason. I don't want to be hot but as they say: $100 for a $100 head.

9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

So you wear padded shorts?

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I have TLD D3 for DH and a sometimes nothing, sometimes cheapie Protec for DJ/XC/mob'n

12. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

GrayGhost likes this.
  13. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

6D ATB-1T

Awesome helmet.

14. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Pretty much whatever fits your head, vents well, is new-ish and comes from a reputable company. The montaro reviews very well.

There's also an upgraded MIPs product just released, I think POC just released a new helmet with it at eurobike.

I only wear the FF (Met parachute) when doing larger terrain and night riding, for trail riding it's open lid all the way but that's mostly due to weather.

FWIW on a related note the new camelbaks now have multi layer back protectors and optional chest protectors, worth considering if you don the FF.

15. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've used it a ton. It actually vents better than a typical helmet because of the air gap between the two EPS liners. Same goes for the ATS-1 street helmet - best inadvertent ventilation out there, due to the nature of their ODS technology

16. stickboy274

You know it, and stop asking for pics

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. stickboy274

Single track cross country stuff. In the woods. Here's a trail from where I go.

I've ridden in 100+f days. I raced motorcycles for a lot of years in the South during the summer. The helmet doesn't bother me.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I cant say Ive ever had a "hot" bicycle helmet.
    Only thing that bothered me was sweat running down my face but I found a nice headband that puts a stop to that!
    http://store.haloheadband.com/elastic-sport-headband-p/hp.htm

20. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Rei runs good deals .