1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins NIX 30mm cartridge vs FGR100 gas cartridge

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dg3087, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Dg3087

Dg3087 Member

Looking at upgrading the forks on my r6. Debating between the NIX 30mm cartridge, and the gas charged 25mm cartridge. I've heard the gas charged cartridges are superior, but I've also heard they're more expensive to maintain. I'm a slow novice racer, mid pack advanced track rider. I'm looking at buying them used and the difference is about $500,plus the cost to refresh them. Is the additional cost involved with gas worth it? Opinions appreciated.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I asked my kid and he said he had to push them really hard or they didn't feel right.

So, i would say no. You do need to service the ohlins gas often as well.

Dg3087 likes this.
  3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Buy tires. :D Are you outrunning or having difficulties with your current stuff?

Dg3087 likes this.
  4. Dg3087

Dg3087 Member

Outrunning? No. But I do think my suspension in its current form could be improved greatly. There's a section of my local track that is pretty bumpy In a fast corner, every time I go over it I get bucked out the saddle. I see other riders on the same line and their bikes don't react that way. Since I've never had the suspension setup on my bike, I figure it's long overdue and if nothing else, it definitely can't hurt. I already have a decent shock, so before I spend time and money to have my bike set up for me, I want to upgrade. Do I need to? No, I know I'm no where near the "limit" of my current suspension

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If you're suspension isn't setup, of course it could be improved, and it could be likely made by a few minor adjustments, but it is your money.

Dg3087 likes this.
  6. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

Get your suspension set up for your weight with a refresh. If you out ride that then step up to some more expensive equipment. In the mean time use that money on tires and coaching so you can out ride the stock bits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk