1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Yamaha R3 Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Aug 9, 2017.

1. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Every set of chinese rearsets I've seen is not worth the $30 or so the guys paid for them.

1. They suck in a crash
    2.They fall apart even with loctite
    3. You can't get replacement parts easily
    4. They look like crap after being in the sun for any amount of time
    5. They look like crap because they are made from a million small pieces (also see #2)

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

We get it- you're awesome. You and Parrish have found a way to skirt the laws of physics. Broome's point is still valid- weight difference matters more on a 40 hp bike than a 140 hp bike. I have no doubt if you weighed 50 lbs. less with the same talent you'd be going faster.

3. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

I'm sure you are in great shape, however you are about 30 pounds heavier than the average American man and that average includes all adult ages, including the vast amount of obese people. An athletic man in his 20s is normally anywhere from 155-175. You are built more like a linebacker, not a road racer. You do not represent the average in-shape adult racer so don't insinuate that an adult can't compete with us "kids". Hell, Loris Baz is one of the biggest MotoGP riders ever and he's 6'3" and 174 pounds. Josh Hayes is probably the biggest MA racer and he weighs 160. Yes, weight differences matter more on the smaller bikes. But it doesn't mean a 180 pound man can't win races in ESS. I am giving up 65 pounds to some incredibly fast and talented kids who have bright professional careers ahead of them. Yet I am still competitive and I can still win. What you do with your right wrist matters much more than the flashing number on your bathroom scale, even on the small bikes.

4. I don't disagree with that...and actually made similar comments. I said talent is always the biggest variable.

However, on smaller bikes, weight can be the *deciding* factor; that isn't the case on larger bikes.

For example, one of the best battles I had at the GNF was in the Grom race with little Jigalov.

I would close in on corner entry, sometimes would pass him in the corners, and then he would go right by me about halfway down the next straight. Corner after corner.

The funny part is that I was likely putting twice the HP to the wheel on my SB Grom than he was on his SS one (22hp vs his 11hp). But he weighs about 70lbs, and I was 215lbs. Stock for stock, i would have had absolutely no chance. Hell it took me 3 laps to finally make a pass stick, and I had 2x the power.

But I've done pretty damn good in the bigger bike (600-1000) classes.

Yes - skill always matters. However, when you get into Expert racing (where the talent level is pretty close), weight becomes a factor. Once you get down to racing bikes that make 40hp (and less), it can very well be a deciding factor.

5. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Don't tell Bigun that :)

6. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Weight absolutely makes a difference, especially on the small bikes, when you're talking kids vs adults. Now, it doesn't really if the adult is a more talented rider than the kid.

Haven't seen it brought up here (unless I missed it) but you also have to factor in aero (wind drag) which is greater for an adult vs a kid. Now, combine the two and well....you know the end result.

At the 2015 JenningsGP endurance race our team was on an R3. Now, let me say...I'm not the fastest rider out there, but I ain't slow either (considering what I run on really worn out tires). The 2nd race was clockwise (backwards) which I had ran several times prior to the races, so I was up there in times, only behind the likes of Melka and his teammate, and my teammate Ed Lato, which are known to be fast! Anyways...during the race I caught this small kid (80, 90lbs at best) on a Kawi 250. It had to have been a SB build. Obviously he didn't have the laps going backward I did, and I was considerably quicker in the back section from T11 thru T3 (remember....we're racing backwards : ). Once I actually got to him we were at T3, and I'm full throttle from exiting T5, so I was carrying easily 5 mph more corner speed thru there to his rear wheel, and I'm thinking I'll ride right on by because I'm on an R3 and he's on a 250. Oh yeah, I was 160'ish butt naked for this race, so easily 70lb on the 'lil whipper-snapper! Well, once he twisted his throttle he began pulling away even me drafting him, and I'm tucking, knees and arms squeezed in, and saying to myself "There's NO WAY that can not be a 250 SB!". No, disrespect to the kid, but it wasn't talent here, it was a SB 250, and lighter weight. He was pretty quick in the fast turns thru 2, 1, 14, 13, and 12, which all that is dang near pinned on the small bikes. I was still a bit faster thru those, but didn't make the pass until going into T11 on the brakes. Now being in the back section I opened plenty of gap that by time we got back to T3 I was well ahead and didn't have to worry about being passed by the 'lil dude, lol. Now, had we been same talent, kid woulda smoked me, because weight makes a difference especially in those fast sections/straights.

7. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I don't know why you would race at Jennings naked. That pavement is way too abrasive for that.

8. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

I've also raced Damian and he can absolutely haul the mail. He raced an R3 the first race of this year at Tally and was incredibly hard to beat. Fortunately I was just a touch quicker than he was that weekend. We had a great battle on Saturday which unfortunately ended up with him highsiding coming out of turn 2 (luckily he was ok). I was on a bone stock motor and he might've been as well, I don't know. I'm giving up just as much weight to him as you are to me. That is taking absolutely nothing away from Damian because he's a supremely talented future pro and a damn little demon on the brakes. Plus he's friends with John Wick and you can't get much more badass than that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

HAHA!!! I had to go back and read. Yeeaaah..... you got me there! :)

10. I'd at least have a Kevlar pouch over my man bits.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I propose Senior Heavyweight E superstock. over 40, over 200lbs w/o gear... :)

V5 Racer, Shenanigans, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  12. DirtyDawgR6

DirtyDawgR6 Active Member

How about 35 with a reasonable additional weight penalty....I think Nate needs to race something else next year anyways, so I will confiscate his bike.

Steven McDonald

13. Tristan

When 40 bikes show up for ESS I'm sure Sean will consider spinning off another class as proposed above. Ain't gonna happen the other way around.

14. Tristan

....but since we're dreaming I propose over 50 and 500 lbs bike+rider

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Just join us in FSS

t11ravis likes this.
  16. DirtyDawgR6

DirtyDawgR6 Active Member

This might have to be my approach. Definitely do not need to dilute the E class anymore. In fact, the class needs more 250 riders to enter to make sure there are enough entries for Yamaha to pay.

17. Tristan

maybe some day when I can swing 2 bikes- just running one I gotta have at least a 300. Right now I'm enjoying being back on an SV and only hauling it around.

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Old guy FSS is where it's at!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Make it 600 and we're talking :D

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I agree with this