1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Yamaha R3 Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Aug 9, 2017.

1. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

The MA weight rule is for the bike only, unfortunately for Draik.

Scott S., Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  2. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

I stand corrected
    Thought it was the whole package

Focken nevermind. JuSt have to ride faster and get blammed of riding dirty to beat the children!

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

It does shake you a little to see a halfling go flying past you in a corner! ;)

4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Who has race ready rules friendly cost to build experience. Lots of 2016's left overs on showrooms out here new for around 3200.00

ts199 and Shenanigans like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ohlins shock and Matris (or several others) cartridge kits are about $1300 total. Only a few sources for bodywork. Everything else is available dirt cheap from Ebay, or you can spend a ton more on name brand stuff. My $100 rearsets and $20 levers worked great, but if you feel the need to spend 4-5x as much, go for it.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Even at $3200 (plus tax, and probably some fees), I'd rather pay $2000 for a crashed one. It's not like an R6 that you can recoup a bunch of money selling off bodywork and other street stuff, look up OEM prices for the stuff- all dirt cheap and potential buyers are even cheaper.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

x2. A phenomenal idea that Triumph had, with absolute shit execution. Who the fuck announces the race program continuing in March? And why the fuck did they never get back to me when I was calling/emailing them back in November/December? It was an awesome program with a ton of perks and I had my finger on the trigger on the idea. But they never even got back to me. I didn't even have the chance to get rejected by them. LOL

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  8. That's a very valid point. I didn't even think about that. If they made it SB, then the kids would end up on built motors also...rendering it a moot point.

9. You barely fall into the "full grown man" category yourself. :p

10. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Barely is right!
    I definitely don't act my age Considering I'm eligible for "senior sb" these days!!

V5 Racer and Gorilla George like this.
  11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Old is a state of mind.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

One thing great about the R3 contingency is Yamaha doesn't require a brand new bike (like Suzuki). Crashed R3s are going for a grand at auction.

Shenanigans and noles19 like this.
  13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

They're not doing the 2 year thing?

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Some of the problem with the little bikes is the mindset of the owners when it comes time to race prep them.

For some reason, there's this much lower standard for parts on the little bikes than there is the big bikes simply because the rolling chassis is cheaper. When someone finds out that the vast majority of the hard parts cost the exact same for a Ninja 300 than they do a GSXR1000, they don some righteous indignation that because the roller cost them $1200, it should cost them somewhere around $87 to race prep it properly. That's not the case.

A lot of the racers are doing it right, though. And it's making for some good racing and bigger grids. Better for everyone and good for racing in general.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It was in place but they waived it for this year. You can still get paid on a 2015.

t11ravis likes this.
  16. Scott S.

Hoping for news on the 2018 program asap. Our KTM has its engine in Wisconsin now getting rebuilt and sealed/blessed for MA rules. The bike will have every update done and a total rebuild including the cat delete mid pipe, remap by KTM, swing arm bearing update, clip ons, graphics, etc. Its a 2015 model, hope its still legal in MA for 2018 for someone. Thinking of selling it with zero hours after the rebuild.
    The boy wants to race the R3 this winter and maybe next year. Maybe he just wants something different, maybe the R3 is a better platform than the 390, I dont know.
    I think it may be a waste of time and would rather race a 600 but budget says the R3 is it or no racing at all right now.
    Should the WSS 300 class happen here in 2018 good. Rumors have had the RC390 Cup gone after this year... and every year since 2015 so who knows.
    Race news that doesnt hit till Feb. every year kills me every time. Just trying to make the best educated decision for our budget and development goals for once.

17. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I had to chime in here, first season racing in my mid 40's on a 390 and an rc8rs. I have had more fun and tighter racing with the littles than in hvywt twins. Pushing the little bike feels much more satisfying and less scary. Honestly I have learned more about sliding the front and rear and feeling the frame flexing this season than the last 5 on the big bike. I would love to see larger grids and will still continue to chase the littles. Giving up 100 plus pounds really makes gearing key. In the novice class I can hang but not sure I can lose the 4 seconds I need to be competitive with the expert littles.

18. osuyzfr1

osuyzfr1 Well-Known Member

Is this just on the R3? Is it waived on the R1 also?

19. Scott S.

Same boat now, Nic was 4'9" and 90 lbs. Just shot up to over 5'10" and 135 and still growing.

r6boater likes this.
  20. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

Just want to clear a few things up real quick. I'm 23 years old and weigh 155 pounds butt naked. I have raced the R3 all year and have set the fastest lap at most of the ESS Expert races I've gone to. I'm sitting 2nd in points behind Josh Jovi and before this season I hadn't raced a motorcycle in 4 years. I'm not trying to sound conceited, just stating a few facts. The ESS class is more about corner speed than weight. It's an awesome class and I'd love to see more of y'all out there.

bbsteinnewyork and Scott S. like this.