Track Bug - Need a track bike...Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Aug 6, 2017.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so I've done a couple track days with STT now at Autobahn and Blackhawk. I have two bikes right now - a KTM 690 Supermoto and a 1290 SDR. I took both bikes to Autobahn and decided to give the SDR a whirl on the track. I had fun but I wasn't comfortable on the bike and simply think it's too much bike for me being a novice to track days. Simply put, I am MUCH faster on my 690 than I am on the Duke.

With that said, I thinking of getting rid of the 690, keeping the Duke as my road warrior and buying a dedicated track bike. There are tons of bikes in the classifieds but I just don't know enough about track bikes to know what to look for. I know that I want a 600 (or maybe a 750) but nothing bigger. My budget is about $7K. Any recommendations on certain brands and years? Any input is greatly appreciated. If you know of anyone selling a bike local to Wisconsin area, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Track bug...there is no cure.

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I have a 1k7 (2007 gsxr 1000) you can have, for free, with a few spares. Just drive down to Texas and pick it up. I'll sell my trailer (7x16 enclosed haulmark, etrack and tiedowns, about 60,000 miles, built in 2006) for $2k, and you can haul it all back up to Wisc for not much more in gas.

(I may have to put that offer in the Classifieds)

Having said that, any gsxr 600, R6, ZX6-R after 2005 (in good condition) will do fine; be prepared to replace bearings in wheels and steering, and take a long look at whatever aftermarket is on it (especially an ECU tune/piggyback box). You'll need to know a little more about CBR600 or Daytona 675s if you want to go that route.

4. Shit. Can I toss my name in that hat if he doesn't take advantage of that offer?! :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

First, get to Austin with a working truck. I'm about 3.5 hours north of Austin.

TurboBlew and pickled egg like this.
  6. :crackup:

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

DAMN!

8. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Is this a serious offer...? Thanks for the info! I do need a trailer too :)

9. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I have been wanting to get back into racing for a few years. If you really giving away a free bike I will be there today haha. I live one Arlington.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

WOW...nice offer.

11. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, is that offer good for me too? If so I'll start driving now

JustaNobody likes this.
  12. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

yes. Call me, Roger

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In my opinion, anybody who is going to be beginning with trackdays or racing and starts on anything other than an SV is an f'n idio. For a beginner, the bike will not be a limitation in laptimes. You will be able to get more track time on an SV because all the money you spend on tires for a 600 or 1000 can be turned into track time. Get a well set up SS SV650 and ride it until you are faster than the bike. By that time you should be racing anyway and won't need to ask us about your next bike. Do not fall into the trap that you have to have a GSXR front end and rear wheel and a built motor or any of that either. When you equal the SS SV record at Blackhawk you can start looking at expensive upgrades. Spend your money on track time and gear, not Bling. There are a metric shit ton of good SV's available, pick one and hit the track.

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Let's not hijack the thread beyond this point. The 1K7 needs paint/body repair (minor) and injectors cleaned/new fuel pump. The trailer needs the marker lights installed (we had hail two years ago). If Roger doesn't grab it, I'll start a new thread.

Roger, I PMed my phone

AC792 likes this.
  15. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Not opposed to this idea at all. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. thanks!

scottn and Razr like this.
  16. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

The number I have for you has been disconnected

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I wonder why

t500racer likes this.
  18. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I think you supermoto fits in D superstock and maybe others.

19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Because I moved from Phoenix and gave up the house phone? Four years ago? I haven't raced at his track in four years, so no reason for us to have spoken (other than we're friends) in the interim.

Roger and I just spoke on the phone.

20. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

If no one bites....man I would love to come get the bike! I live halfway between Dallas and Houston on 45. I could be there in a jiffy!