GSXR Frame without VIN? Engine serial # question

Discussion in 'General' started by speedracer170, Aug 6, 2017.

1. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

So there's a local guy who's been parting out an 09 GSXR 750 that threw a chain and cracked the case. He claims it's a track frame without a VIN, I kinda figured it was a stolen bike and they removed the VIN. Well I go and check it out and sure enough it doesn't have a VIN plate on the left side and there's not one on the frame neck either. There's no signs of there ever being one there and it doesn't look like the area has been tampered with, the powder coating looks like it's from the factory. The only number that's on the bike is the engine serial which is R745-104743 and I searched online and nothing came up about it. Does anyone have the ability to run that engine number through a database to find out if it's stolen?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Replacement frame somewhere down the line.

speedracer170 likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No title or MSO? It will be hard for you to sell down the road for sure. Engine numbers are not usually registered. They can be listed on a title, but not always. The replacement frame was not correctly handled.

4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

what I know for sure is that replacement frames ( K5/6 recall ) did not have vin#s they were blank and what the dealers did is stamp the licence plate # instead.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Any number can be run, if somebody took the time to enter it into a database. Iirc, almost every major part on a car is etched with a number, usually the vin.

6. Not much else he can do to verify if it's legit or not.

7. speedracer170

I ran the engine number thru VIN check and it stated it's not ID as a thief. The guy is selling it cheap because he's moving and has to be out of his house by tomorrow.

8. speedracer170

Is there a way to verify the year by the eng number? I know the R is a 750 but not sure about the year

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow. They're supposed to stamp the original VIN on it and send the old steering head back to Suzuki I believe.