1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ground beef.. what make with this utility meat?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Jul 27, 2017.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Cooked/Chopped cauliflower, browned hamburger and mix in cheese.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Bull, dont treat a shit cut like its a steak. Find its strengths, and apply. I know you have found a wonderful application, but most of the time gb is shit, its the tails. Unless you are buying ground try tip. it's for consumption and the OP was/is looking for consumption. Life is what it is.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What ground beef do you buy? We do either chuck or sirloin. Not the tails...those are for soup.

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Halupki...my mother in law makes it and it is probably my favorite thing that she makes.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A simple and not too bad thing is baked beans mixed in with cooked hamburger and heated. Add in your favorite hot sauce if you want and you have a simple and tasty last minute throw together.

In Your Corner and G 97 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, throw in rice if you need/want to stretch it out more. My college age version of ramen (well, when I could afford beef).

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Faced with the ground beef challenge last night, I created this:

Pan scrambled 2.35 lbs meat with pepper and a little garlic.
    Diced large and fried 2 green pepper and two onions in oil and a little butter.
    Made 4 cups of biscuit dough from scratch.
    Took a 9x13 glass baking pan and layered dough, meat, peppers and onions, a bunch of shredded cheese and then the rest of the dough.
    45 minutes in a 350 oven.
    Kind of a Philley cheese steak sandwich was what I was going for.

It was actually pretty good.

caferace likes this.
  8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

You know I loves me some meat!

9. joec

joec brace yourself

I completely forgot about this.... IMG_20170503_134223.jpg thetes a magazine!

10. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

That looks like a winner right there on the cover! :)

However, usually I do my enchiladas "New Mexico" style. Flat and layered on a plate (tortilla, sauce, shredded cheese, tortilla... repeat for as many layers as you like). Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped onions and ring it with some chopped iceberg lettuce (possibly tossed with some cilantro) and enjoy.

11. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

You can do the stuffed cabbage casserole style. Just wilt the cabbage leaves a bit and layer it in a baking dish like lasagna. My Polish family always called stuffed cabbage by its proper name...gelumpkis. Best food on the planet, and actually rather healthy if you sufficiently drain the fat from the beef after browning it.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I make lazy mans cabbage rolls often. Same stuff as regular cabbage rolls, but you just cut the cabbage into smaller pieces, and toss in a big pan with the browned meat, rice and everything else.

Tastes the same, comes out the same, just requires a shit ton less effort.

I don't really follow a "recipe" (I never do recipe's), but google lazy mans cabbage rolls, and I'm sure you'll find something

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

A friend's mother used to make Kapusta, parboiled cabbage sauteed in a dutch oven in oil with big slices of onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Boy, that stuff was good. You can throw some root vegetables in it also for variety.
    His mother was Italian but his father was Polish so she learned to cook Polish food also.
    She was the kind of Italian mother that, when we'd swing by his house at 3 am after a night of drinking, there'd be a pot of gravy simmering on the stove.
    If we woke his mother with our talking, she'd come out and yell at us and then start making plates of food for us.

Andymax likes this.