1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Roberts in Moto2!

Discussion in 'General' started by rocalotopus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Sure, Herrins team wanted him to fail

2. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Sometimes politics and or not being able to work with the team to get the bike 110% right will be the issue.

3. six6two

six6two AWD

This is great news for the US! That kid is the real deal.. he's the next American GP star.

And that Herrin bike was shit. Zarco got a different frame and the team wouldn't even put Josh's footpegs where he wanted...

turbulence and GrayGhost like this.
  4. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

This... a lot of people talk bad about his time in moto2 but the team did not give both riders the same treatment.

5. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

At the first official Moto2 test in Valencia, Herrin was over a second off of Zarco's pace.

Throughout testing and racing, he never closed that gap.

He also managed to crash himself out of three out of his first four races of the season.

It might go against the grain here, but the fact is that the bike wasn't the only difference between those two riders.

JustaNobody likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Nobody is going to hire someone they know is slower than Elias. Elias is probably the current benchmark when it comes to considering a US rider, as he is a known quantity by all the teams. Until someone steps up and can consistently beat Elias, it ain't gonna happen. That's my theory, anyway :)

7. The Great One

With the one caveat being that Elias goes back overseas next year and takes the fight straight to Rea, Sykes and Davies ;)

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You're leaving out the fact that herrin was barely a second off zarco who has lots more overseas track experience...

Those crashes imo were completely due to lack of comfort on the bike and pushing for a result.

Remember the team was supposed to give him one year to learn. That never happened.

Then we won't even get into the politics and scams from the team.

turbulence likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The other caveat being that a US rider takes enough cash to a team that they don't even care how he does :)

5axis and Robby-Bobby like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm remembering at least once Josh got taken out by somebody. But I could be remembering wrong.

11. The Great One

But was he ever making signs of improvement? His first race finish, which was round 5 of the championship, was 22nd place. His final race finish was 24th place.

The excuse of "pushing for a result" isn't valid when you don't even finish the first lap of the race.

Rossi was "pushing for a result" when he crashed chasing Vinales at Le Mans this year. What result was Herrin pushing for at turn one in Austin?

What did Herrin do to warrant a full year, let alone a second year?

Yonny Hernandez, the subject of this thread, just got the boot for under-performing. Davide Giugiliano the same. Markus Reiterberger the same.

These are fast, established racers that got cut because they weren't satisfying expectations on the world stage. Why did Herrin deserve special treatment?

You don't have to, because you can't give reasonable justification for the rest of your post.

Look, Herrin is undoubtedly a talented rider, but the laundry list of excuses is getting pretty old. Every time you point a finger, the rest of them are pointing back at you.

JustaNobody likes this.
  12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I can't get over the foot peg issue.

13. Cam went over and finished in the top 10 in his first (and only) weekend in WSBK, on a bike different than his MA R1, and on tires he had never raced on before.

If that doesn't warrant a shot, or at least a 2nd look, I don't know what does.

Elias was my pick to win the Championship this year. I knew he would be hard to beat on the new bike (that is getting Factory support from Japan), and now that he knows the tracks.

We are talking about a Moto2 World Champion and a guy that has beaten Rossi heads up, in the dry. Few people in the world can claim either of those things.

If the world is deciding who can go overseas based upon how often they can beat someone of Elias' caliber, then I feel sorry for the US riders; they may never get the call.

turbulence likes this.
  14. caferace

caferace No.

Toni is riding his heart out right now. But ... He's got a rep for not always doing that. Consistent attitude counts for a LOT.

-jim

15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

He was seven points shy of the champion last year and being what he's doing so far this year I wouldn't call that riding well "right now". Outstanding performance two seasons in a row isn't just a fluke.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Well let me try to explain a few more things to you....

When the rest of the paddock is getting improvements and updates, except you (when your contract said you would get the same treatment) and the others are improving then yes I can blame the bike/team.

Zarco is a perfect example. What happened after he left That team? Go on, I'll wait here.

What did he do to warrant a second year? Um, sign a fucking contract that was worthless same as zarco apparently and their F1 drivers also.... the premise was to use the first year to learn the tracks and focus on trying to score points. Unfortunately simply changing the bike to suit his style and his form was too much to ask.... and yes footpegs, levers, seat foam, windscreen etc... have you ridden at the top level to not use those as valid reasons??

When you are told to ride the bike as is, but you literally can't get comfortable on it, then crashes happen. Probably another reason this team folded in a year...

turbulence likes this.
  17. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Zarco did finish sixth that year, not too bad considering he was on a Suter...

18. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

Good luck Joe Roberts! Lets keep going in a positive direction, we will be cheering for you.

19. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Zarco also started riding Moto2 in 2012 that's two years of bike and track knowledge.

20. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

How real is this whole footpeg, seat and lever issue?
    Did Herrin speak about it? I cant believe a team that spends that kind of money to be there doesnt have one mechanic that is willing to make those 10 min changes.
    Hell if i was josh id grab a 10mm and an allen and fix those things.

Gorilla George likes this.