1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Bikes at Indy! (kind of?)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Wade Parish, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Somebody check me on this. The SVRA is having bikes this year for their annual Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational, but I don't see any actual racing on the schedule. It looks like just track time?

https://svra.com/events/2017-brickyard-vintage-racing-invitational/

https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Indy-Provisional-Race-Schedule-1.pdf

It's an "invitational" so I think that means they can deny you entry if they don't like the cut of your jib. My dad and his buddy have this kickass early '70s Porsche 911 race car they tried to enter a few years back and the SVRA denied their entry because the car apparently didn't have enough of a "historic racing lineage". I guess they get way more car entry requests than they can handle.

Also, they're running the course clockwise, opposite the MotoGP direction.

Weird.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I see the word Display under Motorcycles and there is no mention of tracktime in the paragraph's.... I cant open the PDF's but is there track time actually scheduled for bikes? Regardless this would be a cheap way to actually get to ride at Indy that's for sure.. $300 entry, 2 tix and 2 Dinners? That's a great del... Might have to enter the TL...

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I see them on the schedule now....

4. Wade Parish

Yeah, all other classes have practice, qualifying, or feature race written after the name, but not motorcycles. Hmmm....
    I bet it is just kind of an "exhibition" type thing. They just dippin' they toes in.

5. Wade Parish

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep... Just opened everything.. Looks like you have t be a member of their group to participate too..... Probally another $100 for 4 rounds of laps... Still epic and a great Bucketlist scratch off IMO... IF it were run the correct way...

Wade Parish likes this.
  7. Wade Parish

I actually count 6 rounds, but yeah, I don't know.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Ya know if they let you camp inside the track and hoot it up it might be worth it.... I am going to call later for the details.. Hell camping in LOT 2 might be ok too.... You going to do it Wade?

9. Wade Parish

Well, I'm thinking about it. My vintage bike is not in the best state of repair right now. Also, it'd be great if they didn't make you become a member. Maybe they won't since they don't have bikes at any other events?

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

SVRA New License is $200

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes... Sending them a E-Mail now....

Wade Parish likes this.
  12. Wade Parish

That's a deal breaker right there.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep..... Most definitely..... For me with the Gas from Atlanta Free camping and not having to rent a RV Spot, Pay New License ect makes it affordable.. If not I am out for sure plus that's another WERA Round to attend.... I have a few E-Mails out... I will let you know what they come back with if anything....

14. Wade Parish

Thank you!

15. Mike 122

Mike 122 Ride!

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

So your going Mike? So this is HMGP??? Need me to haul you up there?

17. Mike 122

Mike 122 Ride!

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be able to leave until Weds PM but I think I am in here.......Sounds like 4 Sessions Thurs, 4 Sessions Fri, 4 Sessions Sat and 2 Sessions Sunday... Just got a Phone call from Bill from HMGP.. I would need to just stay in my trailer though... No way I could do a Hotel for that many nights.. Plus Bill said there is a Insurance Convention that week and rooms are costly.. I will see you at Road Atlanta and we can plan... I will run HMGP there this time for Cycle Jam too....

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Also Wade just got notification you CAN Camp in the track in a trailer.... I am in 100%... Sending form and charge in now... Mike I will be taking off Weds PM... Coming straight back Sunday PM... Call me when you can.. PM Sent...

20. Wade Parish

FOUR sessions a day?
    Also, what is HMGP?