1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Border Tax: It's coming and what it means to us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by adrenalist, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

True, I just like to point out that while the cost has gone up so has the capability. It is often left out of the discussion on cost.

The same is not true of government in general nor education IMO both of which have declined in quality. And in the case of education had an inflation rate comparable to medicine.

And welfare type payments have gotten crazy with no real return (well except for those buying votes with our money)

2. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

I think it falls more in line with the mantra "buy American, hire American" than it does with lobbiest agenda.

3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

if someone says, lets have a fair fight...both fighters go at it, clean, same gloves, no low punch. however, one fighter has a corner worker who pops the opponent each time they are in reach, is that a fair fight? i think that is our issue. in a free market WORLD, our fighter holds his own, but the opponent keeps hitting us from the corner. it isn't a "free market". you don't levy a tax or tariff to punish or equalize $ flow. you simply do it to level the field so that it is as close to a free market as possible and then let the chips fall where they will. you can't have japan selling their electronics here, while preventing our cattle from selling there. ideal is open market everywhere with no tariffs/taxes anywhere.

4. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

The "fair trade" supporters have made this argument for a long time. It's not a perfect world and never will be.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I agree with import/export tariffs but "their" VAT is on them. As far as what the tariff should be, a flat rate for everyone...except China, they get double-dinged for lack of quality. :D We don't need their shit. When they step it up, then they can reap the rewards of having us import quality goods.
    As it stands, I think we should consider refusing the importation of any goods with questionable quality, regardless who they are. It doesn't help being cheaper if you have to buy it twice. "Oh, but the middleman that helps you with a warranty claim needs a job, too." Suck it, you fucking parasite. If the goods were quality, your job wouldn't exist to the extent that it does.

As a side, I bought a Wounded Warrior coffee cup while at the Cracker Barrel. American flag on one side, Project logo on the other, made in China on the bottom. :rolleyes:
    If it has an American flag on it, it should be made in America.
    Went to Cracker Barrel the other day, got another coffee cup, big U.S. Navy theme. Made in America. It was pricey, but it's a far cry better than that WWP cup.

Oh, I'm just here to bitch...I didn't read anybody's posts. :moon:
    Be sure to vote for me in the post-global meltdown. The Republic of Fred has no borders...Nations will be kept in line with an iron fist. :crackup:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why should the government determine quality for us?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because they love us and want us to be happy?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, for one thing, because they wouldn't allow you to physically exact retribution from the motherfucker who sold you low-quality shit. So it's probably best to minimize the probability of disputes to begin with. :D

crashman likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't see trusting them to determine what is good quality or not since they'll just approve products from the companies paying them money :D

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Cynic. :moon:

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't know about loving us, but they like to screw us.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Aren't We the government? That's how it's supposed to work, right?
    How about the people that would use the product decide whether it passes muster? They, then, pass their findings on to their representative.

I know, I KNOW...we're not ready for that kind of sensibility. The "Great Experiment", in deed. :D

Some day...maybe. First, there's a whole lot of truth that needs to be exposed, and the people have to accept it. Problem is, considering how messed up things are, a tangled web, who's gonna believe it's the truth? Today's untruths are believed to be the truth, or a conspiracy. We have to rid the people of their unsurety...without lying to 'em. Lay it all out. If they're too stupid to understand, they're too stupid to vote.

Nevermind me...I just had to throw in a buncha BS as whatever we think, say or do will have zero effect unless we act collectively.
    We don't even like each other...how's that gonna work out?
    The answer is in the question. People are using their feelings to make decisions...they're not thinking. They need to think. I know, scary...being accountable for acting on your thoughts, but no thought to how that relates to being accountable for acting on their feelings, which is the mechanism a lot of us seem to use as an MO. Bleeding hearts won't make the dirty decisions necessary to save our well-being and certainly don't have the stomach to save a Nation.
    (They're the ones that don't get to vote.) ;)

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Hey, I know you are going to take shots at me. I am just pre choosing the ammunition. :D

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Which Tom Clancy book featured Jack Ryan as president, he was too honest answering the media, and a law was written to improve fair trade by applying the other country's import tax to their exports to us?

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

But we trust them to determine quality for our drugs, food, workplace safety, etc.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Debt of Honor

dtalbott and bigtime like this.
  17. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

We do, its called voting with our dollars. If people dont like the quality, they dont buy it. A lot of people accept the quality.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: How much is the increased cost in "healthcare" a result of prolonging life or trying to prolong life even when it's a terminal disease or condition. Tough decision no doubt, but let's be honest, take a look at how there is a treatment or medication for any and all ailments today. No wonder "healthcare" cost have gone up. I'm surprised it hasn't increased more.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think the market should sort it out. This does not mean that the government should not have some guidelines and some regulation where needed. What the government should refrain from mandating services or coverages to peeps.