1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiophiles, headphone question?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Dec 17, 2016.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Not sure if there's any audiophiles in here but guessing there probably are. Have had a pair of Sony MDR-v6 headphones for years (probably 15 years at least) and recently the left driver died. Originally thought it was the cord so I replaced it and it worked for a few but it died completely on me while I'm on travel out in San Diego right now. Needless to say I'm annoyed as my return flight to the east coast is gonna suck using crappy iPhone ear buds. Anyways, I've been debating what I want to do, to buy a legit replacement driver is gonna cost me ~$38. Honestly I don't use them much anymore and not sure I care to drop that much money or effort into headphones that were designed 3 decades ago. So I've been looking around at cheap options to replace them. The audio technica m20x caught my eye as well as the monoprice 8323 headphones. Now I've never been super picky about sound quality but am worried I'll be disappointed as the MDR V6 are still praised as being excellent headphones. So, thoughts? Honestly all they get used for now are listening to music, or watching movies while flying. Which I don't do a ton. Hence why I'm reluctant to spend lots of money.

I'm leaning toward driving up to monoprice Monday and picking up the headphones for $17 and saying screw it and selling what's left of my MDR's on eBay.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. amaner

amaner will do math for food

What's your budget? If under $50, you really can't go wrong with the AT M20X cans ($40) you mentioned. If you can go a bit higher, the M40X ($80) and Sony MDR7506 (also $80) are great options.

3. EngineNoO9

The Sony mdr 7506 are basically my v6's. the issue I have driver wise is I guess some point they switched the magnet metal so to keep things matched I really need to buy two drivers hence why I don't think I'm gonna bother fixing what I have.

Budget wise I'm flexible but really don't care to spend a lot based on me not using them too often. I don't game nor listen to music hardcore. I care enough that I want them to sound good but not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference that the monoprice headphones have less low range frequency response vs the audio technica m20x headphones. So I'm in a dilemma. I like the features the monoprice comes with (detachable cable from the headphones so I can use whatever length cable I want) plus they get great reviews. Currently are on sale for dirt cheap and kinda figure I can't go wrong with them. I think.... I have seen a few downsides on them is comfort.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A good pair of cans is an investment. Cough up a decent amount and they'll give you 15-20 years of enjoyment.
    Costco around here is selling a nice pair of AKG Bluetooth headphones for 120$.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have a pair of cheaper AKG headphones and I love them. I am looking at getting a better pair now. I love the SQ on the AKGs. Very balanced in my opinion.

6. EngineNoO9

I think what I may do is buy these monoprice ones in a pinch and get some good Bluetooth ones later (with noise cancelling potentially too). It's the wrong time of year to drop $100 on some headphones. Especially on a slight whim.

And I'm glad no one had recommended beats by dre yet....

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Monoprice has an actually store, and you're within driving distance?

8. EngineNoO9

I'm in San Diego and it's near LA but I got jack shit to do Monday after I'm done work early morning. Figured I'd drive up and check it out. Plus it'll get me a pair of cans (albeit cheap) for the flight home. Using the damn ear buds gave me a headache after my sony's died.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Audiophile and under $50 for headphones doesn't seem to go together :D

Chris, BigBird, Razr and 1 other person like this.
  10. AKG or go home. I have a vintage AKG 340 that I've had refurbished twice. They'll drag them off my dead ears.

The current Y50 is a good choice for reasonable money.

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I have Bose noise cancelling headphones, blew both speakers after about 2 years of loud geetar playing. $350 down the drain, although they sounded excellent.
    An old ART SGX 2000 processor, Musicman EVH & the Bose sounded great.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They worked great for 2 years - how is it 350 down the drain? Sounds like they did what you bought them to do.

13. EngineNoO9

Well when you figure most last a lot longer that's kind've sad.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the amount of use I would think. Daily use is going to wear out quicker than my use only on flights setup :D

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What else would you use if you are drinking Cristal or Patron...:D

16. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I have a set of Marshalls coming my way at Christmas. Hope they sound decent.

17. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Besides the absolute best headphones ever made and in every gym everywhere.... Beats by Dre!

Audio-Technica ATHH-M40x. You can find them on sale for ~$60 Listen to them every day at work for 3 years, great sound to block out the dude that coughs every 30s and drives me up the wall.

18. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Headphone quality is of dubious value when the input comes from a mobile device. My understanding is that the compression removes a lot of the detail anyway. No?

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

BOSE....better sound through marketing.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not audiophile quality but my Bose QC whatevers are finally quitting. Glad I got another set for amex points on the cheap.

I'm avoiding the audio stores, Stupid Rotel released the A14 series and it's damn near exactly what I've been yapping on that I was looking for. :mad: