1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio track grip ?

Discussion in 'General' started by bugeye, Sep 30, 2016.

1. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

Generally the hotter the better but how much grip will the track have with a forecasted low of 54 and a high of 68 ? Thanks

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

None of there is dew in the AM.... Skip the First session in the AM...

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Like a bear on ice...:D

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Any hint of moisture don't even try to ride there.

5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Slicker than snot on a glass door knob.

6. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I wouldn't ride first session, and stay well off top pace all morning. If you have any sun after lunch, you can probably let loose. If not, ratchet up the pace incrementally until it gets sketchy.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

If it rains, pack up, go find a good food joint, and then head home... :beer:

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I don't ride there in the rain, but it can be done just avoid the areas where the paving changes and slow your pace down. I agree with skipping the first session and do this almost every time I am at the track. The first session there is almost always a mind f--k. If you get sun the track will come in. You can gauge the level of grip by watching the control riders, they have a lot of experience there in sketchy conditions.

9. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

At those temps... I wouldn't ride there until after lunch :crackup:

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

There's good grip in the grass, given those conditions.

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

My first (and only time so far) I drove like 13 hours to race there. I show up and ask the locals "What times should a mid pack expert expect to hit?" People were like "36s-38s for your first time would be respectable".

Go out in practice

53's

Go out for practice #2

50's

I was like "Well this was a waste of my fucking time", as the bike danced all over the fucking track. Lunch came and went, the track dried up, ran 37's in the sprints. I got to site see the track in practice, but really, my only practice time was the fucking warm up lap before my first sprint. What a joke

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do you have spare wheels with knobbies mounted?

ekraft84 likes this.
  13. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Grip at Mid-O in the morning. Hahahahahaha.

14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

It is shocking how much and fast grip changes there. With a good repave, it would be a amazing fun track.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  15. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Just make sure your tires are up to proper temp. I ride Mid-Ohio more than anywhere else. It does get sketchy -- just push until you start to feel your bike unsettle and then dial it back a bit. If there is sun on the track, there is grip -- you'll notice a considerable lack of grip going into T9 and thunder valley when there is abundant shade -- especially during the twilight sessions.

You should have decent grip for track day pace at 70 degrees. Have fun!

16. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Gets sketchy and push until you feel the bike gets unsettled? The track is no joke when it's damp, dudes be on their head just exiting pit lane trying to get onto the track. China beach and the esses are slick as shit, watched several people barely leaned over and tuck the front.

Don't go out first session, the track will be damp and you won't have fun tip toeing around. as long as the sun comes out, the afternoon sessions should be much better.

17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Mid-Ohio and traction?

2 mutually exclusive things.

Cheers,

Dave

18. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

I always go out for the first session and I've never wiped out. There is grip there, plenty of it. Just can't be afraid of the surface. Shit moves around a little bit....just the way it goes.
    If that bothers or unsettles you, get on an MX bike and train on that. MX bikes and flat track training is a game changer.

If you have your bike sorted out, you should have no problem at all. The people that eat shit and wipe out the first session in the AM either have gigantic suspension issues that need resolved, cold tires, or they're trying to win the track day and they're riding outside their abilities. Damp is different than wet.

With all of that being said -- when there is standing water on the track or a downpour going on -- I stay off of it.
    Mid-O is a great track and will teach you a lot about throttle control and BP -- especially when the track is under half shade and cold.

Gorilla George and sPatlovich1 like this.
  19. sPatlovich1

sPatlovich1 Well-Known Member

This guy gets it. Mid Ohio is a special place. Temperature sensitive for sure, but when it's 75 degrees or above the grip is awesome. Once you learn it, Hard to find a more fun track. The PTR instructors are good guys as well.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  20. dont621

dont621 Well-Known Member

Twilight session today...Anybody in?