1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just how cheap are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 28, 2016.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

You never heard that? I think there's a song about it out there somewhere. My buddies boys were telling me they had heard it.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I've lived a sheltered life. :D
    I've never had one try to attack me so my lack of knowledge is a direct result of lack of need to know.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I believe the word y'all are looking for is "frugal".

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I was so cheap, that I realized being cheap is more expensive

Phl218 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

There is some truth to this!!!

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

:stupid:

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What he said..

I made goals and worked hard to meet them so I could afford the good life. But, being cheap was never part of the plan. But..

- I don't go "shopping" and neither does my wife. If we need something..amazon, point, click, done.
    - Vehicles go to 200K and get sold. I'll buy a one year old leftover or used. No sense in eating that depreciation.
    - I cook and rarely ever eat fast food. I can feed my family and my in-laws a 3 course meal for what Arby's costs for two people.

I will say this though. I could be a "gozillionaire" and live in a 10,000 sq. ft. mansion. There would still be a $10 Lasko box fan running in the corner. Don't mess with my white noise.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I do on certain things. Watches, lacrosse sticks and cars. But even on those, I'll work out a way that the cost doesn't sting and I'll plan it out.

My kid and I want a lacrosse goal and the one I'm looking at is not particularly expensive or even all that good but I have a plan on getting that. :D

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've been heard of FUPA but never gunt lol.

10. Hyperdyne

Wait.. The minion wants one or YOU want one? Better defer to SamK on this one.. You have gone insane in the membrane on them hippy sticks :D

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, the kid has been making the case for getting one but I doubt she cares once the moment passes. :D She's an odd one, it's like pulling teeth to buy her any damn thing. "Meh, I got a pair of sneakers, why do I need a new set?"

I enjoy building them and trying to build the "perfect" stick (for me). I pretty much did it on the first one and now it's trying to build a perfecter one. Cheap and fun.

12. Hyperdyne

I'm that way with soccer... I keep trying the new boots they put out with liners, synthetic materials, blah blah. I still go back to the same Adidas Copa Mundials they have been making for 25 years that haven't had a single functional design change.

I hope race suits never go the route of synthetic leather. That sh@t STINKS when it gets wet and you can't get that mold smell out of it.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Trust me it took me a while to figure this out, and it's really because of the bikes that I figured this out. An example which many of us have probably tried and most succeed, but when I tried to get parts used or a cheaper brand for the bikes when I crashed, or an exceptional deal on a lesser brand, it seems like it's either bad juju, the parts are not what you expected, etc. So in the end, I up disappointed, need a new one, and wasted time and energy, along with now double paying.

I don't like to waste, like lights off when not in use, all LED bulbs, etc. but if I like something I will look for a discounted/sale price for it, but I will not compromise or replace X with Y because it was cheaper any more. Once I know what I want, it's pretty much that, and if I can get it cheaper, then why not. I will not buy a used car any longer, just because any rattle, paint chip or vibration get in my head to the point that I think the car was in an accident and basically rebuilt from an iron box cube.

My new outlook has made grocery shopping a bit easier too. I no longer go to like 4 supermarkets.

So yeah, trying to go cheap usually gets expensive to me monetarily, or is just mentally exhausting.

cajun636 likes this.
  14. caferace

caferace No.

Alright, DK. Define 'cheap' for a good lacrosse stick.

-jim

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

a tree branch with a hair net?

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My wife reuses sammich baggies by washing them and turning them inside out to dry.

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The gunt comes from being "not quite the gut, not quite the cunt". :D

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  18. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Totally true and I've paid the price sometimes by being too cheap, but it's ingrained in me and hard to shake. On top of that, I was an economics major so every decision has lots of variables built in at all times. I'm def guilty of dollars tripping over nickels and analysis paralysis at times.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simple, all the ones (complete and incomplete) in my house including the kid's and the ones I bought just to dye cost less than a new TV and the TV and all the sticks cost less than the mountain bike I was eye ballin'. Got it?

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's freaking awesome. I love reading that. I saved a bunch when I was younger. Fortunately I did, because I haven't put a penny away since buying my own business in 2005. But I plan to change that next year, I'm starting a 401k or simple IRA plan for my employees.