1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is your pet worth?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, May 19, 2016.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Spent 5k on a tumor on the boxer. Race not accepted by pet insurances.

Would have dropped another 5 easily.

Now we spend $250/month on (raw) food for both, 9y.o. Boxer looks way better than most 5y.olds in a he dog park. Cancer free. The bestest soul I'm n the world

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Eff that guy who shot his dog.

I'm sure he will catch a bullet one day for that.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not to get too dungeony, but I respectfully disagree.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$250 to have my daughters cat cremated.

I miss that old f@cker every day.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

It really depends on the circumstances. Family, home, and other obligations play a factor. that being said 8K at one shot would be a problem for me currently.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

IMHO you do what you can afford. We have spent more than a really nice motorcycle on one of our now deceased dogs but I wouldn't change the decisions we made. That doesn't mean we made the prudent decision.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I'm really poor and put over 8k into my minpin. Best dog and best friend I ever had. Took me months to stop crying . Still get a lil emo over him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jschuster2, SpeedyE and Yzasserina like this.
  8. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

^That's a pretty serious man-nipple.

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Somewhat guilty.. $1250 total for 2 dogs that were bitten 3 diff occasions by a Copperhead(actually were 2, being under my back porch) a few yrs ago. Just the anti venom shot alone, was $300 a pop.

Also spent the $200+ to have my Casey girl (she was bitten twice, in the nose) cremated. Raised her from 5 weeks till 9+... She died in my arms about 1.5yr ago. Cried like a baby when I felt the life leave her as I held her tight (cancer, had to have her put down. was drowning on her own fluids). I've lost both my father and only brother over the last 3yrs, and its just as bad as those were imo. Shes out in the flower garden right now, watching over me. Just like she always did.

During a backpacking trip. Like most dogs, she loved to be on the trail.
    [​IMG]

SpeedyE and Yzasserina like this.
  10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I did not read 95% the original post, nor any of the comments.....my post is not directed at anyone.

Dog, cat, ferret, guinie pig, etc......you take them in your house, they are now adopted, and they are now your family.
    You do whatever you have to, for your family.
    Do you have $400 for a set of tires? Then you have $400 towards your family.
    You have $1K for a race weekend? Then you have $1K for your pets.

It's simple.....are toys/inanimate objects worth more than your pet's life?
    Set of tires worth more than your pet? Ohlins rear shock worth more than your pet?
    If you have $ to race, you have money for your pets. If you have money to eat out, vacation, etc.....then you have the money required.

I am the brokest person on the forum, by far.
    Borrowed $15K to care for wild-animal orphans one summer..... Took me over a year to pay it back. Werent even pets, had no idea it would wipe out my finances going into it. But guess what, I took that responsibility when I took them in.......

My 10 year old chiwowa has breathing/heart problems.....$2K for the testing to just tell us how to proceed to try to add a couple more years to him.
    I have no money. But I got "stuff".....sold something worth $3K for $2K just to get fast cash.
    When I looked at what I had to sell, I didnt want to sell it, but I had to.....the "toy" was worth more than my dog's life? NO! SOLD.
    Buyer's remorse? NO way......I would have traded that 'toy' for one more day w/ my old pup.....so that i may get a couple more years, is a smoking deal.

At the end of the day, what is more important? A living creature that loves and depends on you......or a weekend of racing/toys/etc?????

11. SpeedyE

It's only that way, cause I was diddlin' it before I took the pic.....

12. SpeedyE

She is BEAUTUFUL!!!!!

13. SpeedyE

You are hella man, sideshow! God bless you. Your baby looks like an tiny Angel <3

14. SpeedyE

You made the right one......good man :cool:

15. SpeedyE

shows you have a soul...... :)

16. SpeedyE

Respect!!! :cool:

17. SpeedyE

I love you! No HOMO :-D

18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Well, you did say everyone...

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

When my daughter was 4 she decided she wanted a cat. My wife an I are NOT cat people, so we told her she could have one when she turned 7, thinking she would forget. Riiiiiight. Just before her 7th birthday she looked at us and said, 'I'm gonna be 7 in a week, can I have my kitty now?"

$hit! We find her a cute little black an white male at a shelter adoption fair. Tuxedo. Two weeks later , we had to put him down because he had feline leukemia. I don't recall how much that one costs, but I do know Alexandra is devastated. So we figure we would give her some time to get over this and get her one for Christmas. Wife prays for us to find a sturdy cat that will last. She checks with our vet to see if he knew anyone with any rescues that had a year or two on them.

He connects us with the lesbian cat ladies. They have a rescue and live with 25 plus cats in their house. All healthy and , amazingly, the house doesn't smell like there are any gates there. They didn't just let you pick one, they interviewed us. Twice. Then they selected the one they would allow us to have. Abigail, about 2 years old, joined our family Christmas of 2000.

Yesterday afternoon, we had to make the decision to put her down. It wasn't a matter of cost, it was a decision on quality of life. She had been getting feeble and about noon yesterday, she made a rapid change and showed signs of something akin to a stroke. Vet said he could try a couple things, but at 18 years old, we were talking days or maybe a week. If I had thought it would have given her even a few months of relatively normal life, our decision would have been different. The vet said we made the right choice. I stayed with her while they did the procedure. Alexandra couldn't bear to watch. The vet assistant took her and placed her in a box so I could carry her to the house where we buried her next to the roses. She even made a paw print on a heart shaped paper cutout for my daughter to keep. RIP Abby.

dsmitty37 and SpeedyE like this.
  20. My dog Caesar passed away last year after battling various health issues his entire life. :(

[​IMG]

I know each person has their own answer to the question "how much is your pet worth?", but my answer is "all of it".

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    dsmitty37, rocalotopus and SpeedyE like this.