1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... Blank frame

Discussion in 'General' started by Travtastic, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Travtastic

Travtastic Member

Alright I found a really good deal on an r6. But of course the bike has a blank frame. I already checked it out and it really is a blank frame so no title. It would worry me less if the bike was actually a race bike but it's in street form right now. I was just wondering if anyone else has a bike with a blank frame and if you've had any trouble from organizations while riding at tracks or racing it.

Thanks

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I have one. Totally legit blank frame. No issues with either WERA or CCS, just had to list that the bike was "race only" when it ask for a VIN. I have also ridden with STT, Midwest Trackday, and MotoVid, none of them have had any issues with it.

3. Travtastic

Travtastic Member

Alright thanks. I've just heard stories about cops coming and confiscating bikes that didn't have a vin number. I'd hate for that to happen after I dump a bunch of money into it.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I had a 1998 R1 Unstamped Frame.... They were sold back in the day for $900 or so..... Cant speak for the R6's

5. You can order any frame from Yamaha with a blank vin stamp. But if it's a street bike they could of had the vin stamped by sending in their frame to be destroyed and vin put on the new frame. Somethings not right in the scenario. It wouldn't make me too comfortable. I would run the motor number and see. If it comes back clean run it. No vin doesn't matter.

6. Travtastic

Travtastic Member

Yeah I called Yamaha about this. They said to call local cops and check the motor number. Going back to it tomorrow and I'm gonna do that. And if it's clean I'll probably get it.

7. Travtastic

Travtastic Member

The seller doesn't know very much about bikes, nor is he mechanically inclined enough to find the motor number himself. So makes it where I'll have to go back and do that myself.

8. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Seems like if it is in 'street form', it would be registered somehow and should have a title. I built a bike some time ago with aftermarket cases and frame. Both the frame and cases were stamped - I submitted all paperwork to DMV and got a 'special construction' title. DMV then provided a new vin plate (which was a different number than either the frame or cases) to a local shop, they riveted in on and I was good to go. Absent any of that, I'd be a bit leery and run the numbers before buying it.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

There is no such thing as a truly blank frame - the frame has a VIN associated with it one way or another. The OEM's don't just sell blank frames without a dealer agreeing to either ship back or destroy the original frame. Dealers are then supposed to stamp the original VIN on the new frame.

As for the actual numbers being on the frame - we don't care. But personally I wouldn't buy it without a title and I'd put that VIN on the frame.

10. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

There are legit blank frames out there from sponsored race teams. I have several.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Interesting - never seen one that wasn't a replacement for a real frame that had a VIN. Even the pre production stuff has had numbers on it (and in theory got sent back to Cali for destruction).

Granted, wouldn't surprise me if teams got replacement frames and built bikes out of them that really shouldn't exist. :D

12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

This. There are such things are truly blank frames, and I've seen a handful in the AMA paddock.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've done two. Unstamped frames purchased direct from Yamaha. It's possible.

TLR67 likes this.
  14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

We had a few.. You just buy a frame... Since it isn't a complete bike there is No VIN and No Paperwork other than the receipt.

TLR67 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With the dealer not having to do any paperwork or the like? Neither Yamaha or Suzuki would sell a blank frame like that when I was hanging out at the shop. Rob or Sean would have to submit a VIN from the frame that was supposedly being replaced.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No. Typical invoice like I would get when I ordered any other part from them. I gave the customers all the associated paperwork that provided him with a paper trail for the frame from Yamaha to me and from me to them and they've been racing it for a few seasons. They asked if it was a replacement frame and if I wanted a VIN stamped and I declined. It was basically a bike built frame up with spare parts.

I have no idea how you'd ever go about getting a title or whatever for it and the OP was referencing the fact that it was a street bike. No idea there. But, for a race bike, it's definitely possible.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, things have changed then. Interesting.

Makes sense for a racebike, not like we care or like GP machinery has an actual VIN (125's are a serial number essentially). For racing only it's not a big deal, for a streetbike I'd want all the paperwork.

18. CZHART320

CZHART320 Well-Known Member

I have worked at a Yamaha dealer and sold several blank frames from Yamaha. they don't ask for any paperwork or the old frame back. it comes with no paper work its just like any other part you would order. I actually worked very close with p1a when they were building there bikes and they ordered a frame they got a invoice just like they would if they had bought a spark plug.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wonder if you could call a bike like that homemade like you can do with some cars and trailers? It'd be an interesting way to title it.

And thanks for the info all you, good to know.

20. duc995

duc995 Yep…

As far as the engine number goes, not all states keep records of engine numbers. I bought a used engine in Michigan once, went to the local police with the engine number, and they told me engine number records were not tracked/recorded.