why right side throttle?

Discussion in 'General' started by deepsxepa, Apr 14, 2016.

1. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I had many people tell me that I could not drive a stick shift because I was left handed and the shifter was on the right. If that is all you know then that is how you do it.

2. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Left handed here.... No way would I want it on the left.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The US required L shift and R foot brake with the 1975 model year. All British bikes and some Harleys had to change. Early Ducati bevel twins also had R shift.

I don't recall any British bikes with L throttle; that doesn't mean there weren't any, though.

R Acree likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That was it. My roommate in the early 80s had a '74 Norton with right shift. God that bike was notoriously cantankerous to start. We usually had several minutes from to get suited up while waiting for him to kick-start that bitch before we even had to put the key in the ignition.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I just worked on a 71 Commando this week. Three kicks maximum when cold. New carbs and electronic ignition do wonders.

I admit, I have to put my whole body weight into the kicks. :D

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I must confess it got better when he fixed the choke cable which the original owner had put on backward. That bish would foul plugs like a mother.:D

7. BillH37

BillH37 Active Member

UsDOT enacted standardization laws for 1972, but allowed extra time for compliance, mostly because both HD and the British were on the ropes from the challenge of the modern bikes from the east.

Those laws outlawed the push-pull throttle that HD was still using. HD had a non-spring-loaded throttle on the right for years and a similar twistgrip on the left that operated the spark advance, for easier starting.

Indian did build a left-hand throttle for the US war effort, but I don't recall any civilian offering.

Their K model, and later the Sportster with their right side foot-shift, were designed to woo back some of the sales they were losing to returning GIs that had fallen in love with the Brit bikes during WW2.

If you really want to ride a strange bike, try an AJS Stormer from the late sixties. Right side shift. One up, three down.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Same as a Commando prior to 1975.

9. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

being right handed, I know I have better throttle control with the right hand (more coordinated) so it would seem to be a disadvantage to left handed riders. now with traction control and other aids, not as much.

the more I think about it I think I want to try it on my trail maintenance bike. thats really where I notice it would be great to have since so many times I have to stop completely and swap hands and if I had a left side throttle I could trim stuff and sometimes without even stopping.

anyone know where to source a left throttle? dont think I want to roll it forward to accelerate also, that would seem more difficult than doing it left handed. for an XR100 if it matters.

I could probably make a thumb throttle ATV style easier but Im not fond of those at all.

friend had a cagiva MX back in the '80s that had the kick start on the left that kicked forward IIRC.