Triumph 675

Discussion in 'General' started by rafa, Feb 23, 2016.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Whats the word on those for racing?
    My friend is selling an 07 and I am thinking of buying it to race middle weight.

Any glaring reliability or geometry issues?
    I read they dont have slipper clutches?

2. Unless you can get it REALLY cheap, find an 09. That is when they had a ton of updates.

But they are great bikes.

3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Well I am not partial to the Triumph.
    If i could choose any middle weight would be a newer 636.

But my friend is offering a good deal on the Triumph, was wondering if they are a good platform.

4. ton

ton Arf!

it's a ten year old platform, there are more threads on it than Chaotic can keep up with. SEARCH

it's a good platform
    no slipper in SS form
    only thing you really can't do is downshift 'em like an R6. bottom ends let go when you do that.

5. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

Don't know much about pre 12 but I never got comfortable on mine. Had it pop a couple times the one season i raced it. I just didn't have much feel on the bike. Make sure you get adjustable triples. Not a bad bike and yes a good platform.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yeah triple clamps and a slipper clutch would add considerably to the cost of the bike and would render me illegal for suspersport on CCS.

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I have raced my 2007 since 2008 with no real problems (I got it with 4000 miles on and have raced it over 8000 miles with a supersport build and one refresh). It was a strict SS build until last year when I put an Attack linkage on it. It was a bit nervous on the front end (linkage helped that) but raising the front helped. The first generation ones are a bit slower, but the lower rev limit of that bike helped it's longevity.

Slipper clutches are for people who can't use a regular one... My endurance partner had a later model with a slipper, and we ended up changing the motor to one without it, and he said he could hardly tell the difference.

In the novice ranks it's as good as any other bike out there, and there are some fast experts on them too, almost most are probably later models.

8. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Great bikes. If its a good deal, buy it. It doesn't need a slipper. The front end likes to be long on that era. Update the dipstick for the "reissued" one. It reads higher than it should.

9. Good call. Lots of confusion as to how much they should be filled.

But I agree, great bikes. I love how light and narrowness 675s are, they feel like toys you can put anywhere. And they have such a strong midrange. I've always felt they were the most forgiving bikes and the easiest bikes for the average racer to go quick on.

So light, loads of ground clearance, more midrange than other 600s so they are more forgiving or mistakes.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Meh, plenty of cheap 09+'s out there as well and they are more betterer.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Cheap is relative. I saw a race ready, albeit ugly 08 posted today for $2500.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Well he sold it today.

thanks for all the help. Can always count on you guys for amswers, good or bad haha.

13. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

I see all these posts about them being great bikes, every one I see at the track seems to have electrical issues. And no, I'm not getting them confused with the older one's either.

14. Raced/tracked the same one for years, never had a single issue, electrical nor mechanical. Don't remember hearing about the other guys racing them having any issues either.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Weird, have owned countless ones as well as built I don't know how many for other racers or trackday guys.
    The only electrical issues I ever saw were old R/R.

But they were and still are covered 100% under warranty to this day even on an 07.

The bikes are absolutely solid and reliable. I'd be willing to bet it's user error 99% of the time as with any bikes from Suzuki R/R or any other brand.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Tracked my 07 for the last two years and haven't had any electrical problems at all. Randomly sheared off an engine mount bolt sure, but nothing electrical.

17. They really are solid bikes. This thread has me wanting another one.

18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

19. Robby-Bobby, do you have any 2015 675R's left in stock?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

Get the F3 instead