1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ZX10 forks

Discussion in 'General' started by DWhyte91, Jan 21, 2016.

1. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

With the 2016 zx10 coming with a gas charged fork I'm curious if there's any rumblings of what will be offered by the aftermarket suppliers.

It would be pretty awesome to have a kit that works with the oem gas setup.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

GP Suspension has a lot of pics of them taken apart on their FB page. Little bit of dialogue and thoughts on them as well.

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

K-Teck are working away on them. You will need a better Shock for sure than the std one

4. DWhyte91

Cool I'll take a look.

Good to hear and the shocks a given. Yet to hear if the linkage is a must like the 2011+

I don't have one yet but I want one, badly.

5. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I thought someone said that the rear shock was actually pretty good but maybe I was mistaking

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I thought that, "The rear shock needs to be replaced", is a default saying in the sportbike world. It may or may not have to be the truth, but it's almost always a given since well...it's always been done that way.

418 likes this.
  7. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I've talked to a few suspension companies that have had their hands on the new BFFs and everyone has said there isn't a whole lot of modifications needed. The fork is the best production fork I've ever ridden on. The feel was better than my 2015 ZX-10 race bike with a GP Suspension fork kit. It's a bit stiff with the standard fork springs (11.25), but even then they work pretty dang good! The shock is pretty good too. Not as close to "race level" as the forks, but the level is still really high. I'd say a different needle and a remote preload adjuster would make the stock shock worthy to race on, at least at the club level.

jt21 likes this.
  8. DWhyte91

Of the, I think two, reviews I've read, nobody complained about the shock. This was on sport tires though not slicks. I'm sure once you get some proper rubber on there it'll become apparent what needs to be addressed. Also hydraulic preload is a very handy tool that isn't on the stocker and how much easier are spring changes on an aftermarket shock compared to oem?

9. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

It's a great shock, especially for a mass production piece. The suspension package on the bike is much better than any other mass production package I've ever tested.

Changing the spring on a stock shock is just as easy as a race shock. Just compress the spring, take out the retainer clip and it's off.

10. alan

alan Well-Known Member

I think you have to remove the tank to get the shock off on the ZX10

11. DWhyte91

Well that's great to hear!

Every time I look a bit deeper at this bike it gets a bit cheaper to build especially because a lot of my 2011 spares or fancy bits can be brought over to the new model.

You do but on my 2011 race bike it's 6 bolts and the fuel line/pump connector. It's a pain to weasel it out though. If I didn't care about scratching the crap out of my stuff it would be a bit quicker.

12. alan

alan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="DWhite991, post:

Every time I look a bit deeper at this bike it gets a bit cheaper to build especially because a lot of my 2011 spares or fancy bits can be brought over to the new model[/QUOTE]
    What things have you found swap over? I saw the wheels but not front rotors.

13. DWhyte91

What things have you found swap over? I saw the wheels but not front rotors.[/QUOTE]

Rear sets, possibly motohders subframe (it looks very similar), case covers look like they'll be identical, wheels need spacers and these damn wheels cost a fortune so that saves $2k, I think the fairing stay might be the same too as guys have fitted the old gen bodywork to the new bike, slip on exhaust fits.....what else do you need? Obviously the kit ecu/harness will be different but all that's left is brake lines/pads, suspension (maybe?!), bodywork, and I'll do the master as we don't have a SS class.. I thought I read you can get different offsets for the triples and swing arm so that saves another $1000.

14. alan

alan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="DWhite991, post: 4787724, member: 39152"
    Rear sets, possibly motohders subframe (it looks very similar), case covers look like they'll be identical, wheels need spacers and these damn wheels cost a fortune so that saves $2k, I think the fairing stay might be the same too as guys have fitted the old gen bodywork to the new bike, slip on exhaust fits.....what else do you need? Obviously the kit ecu/harness will be different but all that's left is brake lines/pads, suspension (maybe?!), bodywork, and I'll do the master as we don't have a SS class.. I thought I read you can get different offsets for the triples and swing arm so that saves another $1000.[/QUOTE]

I saw the rearsets need a different linkage and rod to make work. Brake lines are already stainless on the non-abs model. I haven't seen the abs model yet. The bike already has a brembo master cyclinder. I read about the offsets for the triple but didn't see anything about the swingarm.

Maybe DDK732 can give us some insight into the kit parts ;)

Back to the forks, one downside compared to some bikes is its not as simple of a spring swap since they are at the bottom of the tube. The preload adjuster leaves a little to be desired also.

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Rear sets, possibly motohders subframe (it looks very similar), case covers look like they'll be identical, wheels need spacers and these damn wheels cost a fortune so that saves $2k, I think the fairing stay might be the same too as guys have fitted the old gen bodywork to the new bike, slip on exhaust fits.....what else do you need? Obviously the kit ecu/harness will be different but all that's left is brake lines/pads, suspension (maybe?!), bodywork, and I'll do the master as we don't have a SS class.. I thought I read you can get different offsets for the triples and swing arm so that saves another $1000.[/QUOTE]

The new rear wheel is lighter and I was told that the front wheel hub is a different width (but I haven't tried to bolt on the older wheels yet). The rear sets are different due to the shift sensor and you will most likely need rear sets to run a GP shift pattern. The case covers are the same. The fairing stay is different, you have to use the older dash mount to bolt up the older style body work. I'm pretty sure the sub-frame is the same too, I haven't compared yet.

Most of the old kit parts will bolt on, mainly the electronic pieces are different. I am pretty sure the new kit parts list will be available soon.

16. DWhyte91

Guys have fitted vortex rear sets from the old bike and converted to gp shift, a different knuckle is needed the same as converting the 2011+ to gp and messing with shift rods. I think in the kit software you can change the direction of the sensor and activate the auto blip.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  17. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

18. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

Ktech is dropping in their regular cartridges, the fancy reservoir will serve no purpose.

19. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I have the 2010 knuckle, I'll have to see if it works. Might have to get creative with some spacers.

Yes, there is an autoblip option with the kit ECU. It works pretty dang good too! The first few laps are weird, then you wonder how you ever lived without it!

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

From what I've seen, all the aftermarket solutions are like that.