1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD 400 advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian129, Feb 2, 2015.

1. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I have no advice to offer, but I want to say that that is one good-lookin' RD!

2. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

You've got a good list of simple stuff. I probably would start with fuel supply/ filters and carbs/ air supply and air filter, then I'd address ignition/wiring/battery/plugs/plug caps and switches, then pull the exhaust baffles and then take a head pipe off and look at the port and piston. If none of that leads to an answer, at some point you will want to figure out if the 40 year old crank seals are ok.

And that is a really nice bike, definitely worth the effort. Good luck !

3. MarkWyland#88

MarkWyland#88 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to take it off your hands...:crackhead: LOL. Been awhile since I messed with my RDs but...

As it approaches 6500 does it sound like "bap-baa, bap-baa" stuttering then not accelerate any faster or "braaawwww" then bog down?

If it sounds like a sheep Baaa-baaa you prolly have too small a main jet or your needle is set too low. Possible air leak somewhere but start with the carb.

If it's bogging try getting to 6500 and ease a tiny bit off the throttle to see if it picks up. That would be the reverse carb wise.

Can't say too much about points other than throw them out and get a motoplat or something similar, don't know what the youngsters are running these days. Also, try running a couple extra ground wires.

Hope that helps and keep 2 smokin.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I haven't been on a two stroke in decades and damn if that description of the sounds isn't right on the money. LOL.

5. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

It sounds like general maintenance to me. Everything from checking compression, cleaning the carbs (complete disassembly and soaking, not spraying), cleaning the exhaust baffles, and ignition tune up. You should not need 160 main jets in that bike, they are too large even with today's crappy fuel. I live about 40 minutes south of the center of Atlanta just off I-75 and would be glad to take a look at the bike and see if I could help you. The solution can be as simple as a tune up or more complicated such as stuck piston rings that need to be freed up.
    Lyn Garland

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    Lyn's the RD-guru. He stocks eye of newt, burns incense, knows all the appropriate incantations and the fire dances that go with the particular chant . . . . . In short, he is 2 stroke magic familiar.

Good luck. When you want to move to a really good looking and performing classic bike, like a BSA, let me know.;)

Cheers,

Dave

7. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

Ill go through that one more time to be sure.
    Ill try the choke and gas cap tests as well.

I would think 160's would be Huge for it being bone stock, I was slightly worried the 130's would have been to much, but it definitely did not make it worse.

Whats the best plan for cleaning the baffles?
    I was told the test for clogged pipes was if you can feel the pulses of the exhaust, which I can.
    It is not just a stream of air. but that does not sound very scientific to me.

a little 3 in 1 oil for to soak for the piston ring? or is there something better?

I have not been able to check timing yet though, as the dial indicator I have will not fit in the head on this bike.

if that doesn't work then I may be heading your way.
    Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Brian129

take it, hahah, I'm sure you would.
    I pondered selling it last fall, but I really want to ride it some first
    I think its more the Brawwwww and just bogs down.

its not like it is breaking up, it just stops pulling.
    I thought it might be a low voltage issue, like it just cant power the coil packs, but it is putting out a nice 14.3 or so.
    it has a smaller battery on it, though I have read about people switching over to just a capacitor, so I thought that should be OK.

I really want to keep my investment in it low at this point,
    hence just keeping it stock and getting it running.

9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Make sure the slides aren't in backwards and put the y boot on with a k&N

10. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

To clean the baffles you remove them, cut the fiberglass packing off, and use a torch to burn the carbon off the silencer tube. Don't bother to repack the tube with packing, it doesn't make much difference.

The quickest way to unstick the piston rings is to remove them from the piston and scrape the ring land with a broken ring. You can try to soak the piston in a cleaner but there aren't many reasonably available that will work.

You need a small dial indicator to time a RD. You could remove the heads and rig an indicator holder but that's a pain. You need to get the timing set right once and then adjust the movable timing mark so you can then use an automotive timing light. Email me at [email protected].
    Lyn Garland

11. Brian129

I had big plans to get this fixed, played with it a few times, but have not finished with the advice.

Too many projects to get completed.
    Thinking about selling it again, I know a bunch here might want to know.

12. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Dang it, I read this whole thread knowing it was a year old and hoping for a happy payoff at the end. I'm sad you couldn't even get to ride it. I grew up riding 2 stroke dirt bikes and lusted after the RZ350 for years, but still have never ridden a 2 stroke street bike. Wish I could afford it, best of luck with the sale.