1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobbies (non mc related ones), let's hear them???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 30, 2015.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

When not motorcycling I focus on standup jetskis, cars+trucks, and guns.

TLR67 likes this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I just about live in hotels and on the road so when I get home I just wanna make what I want to eat, not what's on the menu or what someone else wants to make. Get a good grill and learn to cook with fire. You really don't need anything else.

3. I'm trying to make pizza today. My first attempt. Calzones will be next! Great ideas.

4. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

5. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

You should come over to Mt. Doom paintball field that is my families paintball field we've been open 27 years

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

RC planes & heli (although about ready to get out of it also due to lack of time to go some place to fly and the stupidity coming down on us rc pilots due to the asshat 'drone' operators), shooting, photography, martial arts.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

O man, I must know more. Details?

What simulator setup is that? I am drooling right now over that. I went all in myself last year and wife fully supports my habbit. I got to golf almost every day . Hit the course after work shoot 9 and head home. Even got to play Christmas eve this year and in Ohio that is un heard of..

Very nice set up you have there.

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Care to share the recipe?

Lawn Dart likes this.
  9. goodmatt78

I started out with the SkyTrak launch monitor in the garage in September...Then it quickly evolved. I'm still debating on which software package I will buy...probably TGC or e6. I currently have a demo version of e6 and the skytrak Wgt.

Everything else I sourced on the web and built myself.

10. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What are your handicaps? Think the simulator is helping you on the course? Golf was my real hobby before bikes, but I've fallen away from it due to the restricted amount of time I have. Right now, if I can get away from the house for enough time to play, I prefer to take the dirty bike out. Sadly, I am still a better golfer than dirt bike rider.

11. I go through phases. Spare tune is definitely at a premium for me so it's usually sonething I can do in the garage. I don't need a machine shop because I can use the one at one of our plants I have an office at. That being said I just make a lot of stuff. Pretty well anything I can weld together, bolt, carve, etc. this summer started to teach myself how to do carbon fiber stuff. Designed and made my own vacuum bag system. Built a lot of neat stuff for my jeep, "tube" door, rocker step guards, splash guards for the gap in my rock rails, cup holders, etc. my kid has a bad ass carbon fiber cup holder. which reminds me I have to send a set of rocker guards to mongo.
    I usually go through phases where I want to do or learn a skill, keep at it until I'm happy with my results then onto something else. Great thing is you still have that skill you learned. Currently I'm on revision 3 of my remote kill switch / braking system for my sons PW50. We have so many hills here that I want a brake system I can control if need be. It's a mix of aluminum, carbon fiber

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

This year I'm going to grow tulips. Was going to do roses but they are way too much work and I can't commit all that time.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You never know, the Dutch market may return, and you'll be able to get all the watches you want.

Food hobby item No. 2 for the weekend: 7.5 quarts freshpack sourkraut.

Attached Files:

14. goodmatt78

I'm a 10 index before my club froze the ghin system for the winter. For sure the sim has helped me. I went to pinehurst last month and shot 78-84 over 4 days. I didn't break 90 the prior year. I'm playing closer to a 7-8 now.

omatter34 likes this.
  15. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I was down near scratch in college and after. Still play to about a 4-5 even playing only twice a year. Once (if ever :D) I'm done with the bikes I plan to get back into golf more seriously.

goodmatt78 likes this.
  16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Home Audio, music festivals

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Gym, snowboarding, basketball and murdering paper and steel targets.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Can you send the recipe? My wife loves sauerkraut, me not so much. :) Also where did you get the Mangalista? They're not all that common for purchase are they?

19. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

3 gun competitions. pew pew

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Shred cabbage, add salt, wait. :)

OK. If you want really repeatable results, get one of these. I have a classic German style 15L unit that for years were made by Harsch, and are now manufactured by Schmitt, but there are lots of styles and makers (ohio, polish, glass jar, etc.) The ones with a water seal are obviously a better system for avoiding yeast growth. They also allow for a lower salting rate, which improves both flavor and texture.

Shred cabbage to fineness you like (I use a wide Chinese V-slicer -- the wooden dedicated Cabbage slicers are craptastic). Core and quarter the cabbage and slice on the perpendicular to get consistent shreds (easier said than done).
    For every kg of cabbage you want roughly 5-10 grams salt (I use 7). Use a good kosher or sea salt -- DO NOT use Iodized table salt.
    Layer in about 2 inches of shredded cabbage and sprinkle with salt, and press down firmly on the mix to extract cellular water. I tamp with my fist for about 2 or 3 minutes for each layer. Like kneading bread, good things come with some effort. Continue until crock is as full as you want. Put stones over top of mix, and press down firmly. Cover with an inch or so of boiled and cooled brine (10-15 g/L water).
    Ferment time is totally linked to temperature and desired sourness. Its usually considered a good tactic to initiate the ferment at room temp (~70F) for 2 or 3 days, then take it to cool cellar for ferment. A general rule of thumb is 4 weeks at 60F.

You can do this in a large glass jar as well, it just isn't as bombproof. Loosely cover with lid or cheeascloth, and try to find something to act as a stone (they sell glass stones online for use in 1 qt jars, but making a quart at a time isn't my style. You can also spice up the kraut to make Russian style. Now that I have the straight batch done, that will be next.

We got the mangalitsa from a farmer in Gilroy. There are only a handful of folks raising them in NorCal mostly because they cost so damn much. I can get nice Duroc pigs at ~$3/lb hanging weight, and these are double that. However, when you see the Lardo we made with this animal, you will be blown away. If you really want in on one, let me know and I will try to get the gears rolling.

K, Go!