1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango or 4Runner?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 30, 2015.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Looking for a new car for the wife. She wants a four wheel drive for bad weather. Either car would be a pre-owned 2014-2015 model. It was solely a search for a 4Runner but I happened across a comparison today that surprisingly put the Durango at the very top of the midsize SUV pile (Car and Driver). I personally think the Durango is more bang for the buck, although I'll admit long term resale would probably be better with the Toyota. Average sale prices are similar - for about 35k we can get a loaded V8 Durango or a nicely equipped V6 4Runner.

Who's got long term experience with either of these?

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I love my 4Runner.... No experience with the dodge though.

[​IMG]

3. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Which ever she finds easier to drive.
    The 4runner is a true 4wheel drive with steel frame. My '96 SR5 works like new.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My 4 Runner (06) has been great. The neighbor's Durango rusted out in about 8 years.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Love my 07 4Runner. Just crossed 100k and nothing but regular maintenance. Solid.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Have a 2014 Durango R/T with 62k miles on it. Been a fantastic SUV. Fun to drive, and can actually fit adults in the third row seats. Comfortable on the highway and tons of power. Highly recommend the V8. Much more solid and smooth than the V6.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm still leary of American cars. They may last but just feel sloppy and worn after 3 or 4 years. Check out the Durango forums and see what they are complaining about

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Good bit changed over the last model to these. I was leery of Dodge as well but have been very happy with this one.

9. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Brought my wife a new 4Runner in 07. Has over 225,000 miles on it now! still runs awesome, next to no real maintenance over than regular oil changes. I did not change the original spark plugs until 150,00 miles!! yes they were a little worn down! Great Suv. Would buy another one for sure. Now I'm interested to see how long it lasts?

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I love my 2011 Durango, V6, 290 HP with all wheel drive. I brought mines used in 2013 with about 35,000 miles. Its everything that I was looking for in a SUV. My previous vehicle was an 06 Grand Cherokee V6. I have all the room and power that I need with the V6. Tow rating for the V6 is 6200 lbs. and the V8 is 7400lbs. I have tried my best to get stuck in the snow to no avail. No maintenance issues, knock on wood. There have been a at least 3 recalls for my model, 2011 was the first year of the redesign (3rd generation). I will drive this vehicle till the wheels fall off.

Basically it boils down to personal preference.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My niece just got rid of her 2008 Durango. It had 120k and the trans completely blew out, plus is was rusting over all of the fender wells. I'd say go for the Toyota.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have done a lot of research on the Durango, and I really like it plus the towing capacity. You can get a new 2015 Durango at least the V6 for less than a Grand Cherokee. That being said, long term I am not sure how it will hold up, since my current 2013 Chrysler product (Minivan) hasn't held up so well over it's 30K. The transmission is the weak spot, along with a lot of road noise and squeaks and rattles, and the dealer is really no help. So I would take dealership support into account.

My uncle still has his 2004 4Runner with 180K on it. No issues outside of oil changes. It was deemed a total loss recently in an accident, and he fixed it, because it just keeps going.

So it depends if you are also going to use the 3rd row. for $35k I would also look at a really good deal on the outgoing Mazda CX-9 since the new one is coming out soon, and also the new Honda Pilot. In that price range, you have a lot of choices.

13. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

Comparing the older gen Durango to the new one is completely senseless...they are thoroughly different vehicles that happen to share a name. The latest Durango was built on that same Chrysler/Mercedes/Jeep platform from 2012 I think. The older durangos were on an old dodge truck frame and did have rust problems. My business partner put 254000 trouble free miles on his HemiV8 version...his only issues were recurring wheel bearings and rust.

But I digress...back to the 'new' Durango vs 4Runner...

It's probably gonna come down to personal preference...what does your wife like better? Assuming history repeats, the 4Runner will have amazingly high resale value and will be inexpensive to maintain. The Durango, while getting great reviews, may be more of a question mark in this regard. If you are the type to keep the car a long time and drive its wheels off, then resale value will mean less. If you will replace within 5-6 years then I'd get the Toyota in a heartbeat. I had an older model (2004 V8 Limited) and LOVED it. The newer one is better all around in my opinion...

good luck with your decision.

14. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

4-Runner! Had several of them and LOTS of Toyotas. Had a Dodge once....

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

My 4runner has 257k on it. If nothing else compare the resale value of each model five years down the road. That should be pretty clear.

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I owned a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel and a 2013 Dodge Durango R/T- I flip cars frequently. Great vehicles for the money. V8 is thirsty but the sound of a Hemi is music. No problems with either vehicles. I easily towed a 7X14 tandem axle trailer. Exclusivity of an R/T- I think I have seen just one other. Highly recommend the new Durango.
    [​IMG]

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a 2010 that I bought new and was looking for an excuse to buy a new 2015 one before the new one comes out just so I have one. Nothing I can come up with makes sense other than "want one." Mine is the Grand Touring with all the bells and whistles except for the rear entertainment system. Picked it up for way under sticker with 0% financing.
    Not an off roader and no idea on what the tow rating is.

I'm a German car snob but, Holy shit, I love my CX9. Best car I've owned.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    BigBird likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

So what you're saying is that you don't know how they will fare in the long term?

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4runner... all day and 3 times on Sunday. Closet mopar freak just not for dailys or significant others! :D

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Toyota. My 07 FJ has 140k on it now and I've never even had to replace a light bulb on it. Oil changes and a checkup every 30 and it's been solid as a rock. Same engine as the 4runner. My mother bought a 4 runner a few months after we got the FJ and hers has been just as good.

After driving rental cars every week for 10 years you couldn't pay me to own a GM or Chrysler product. *with the exception of a very few select high end models*