1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I get a 250cc trackbike?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Auron, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Are they still even made? Nothing on search tempest, and even if I did won't it be really old and difficult to find parts for?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Have you searched the WERA forum 2-stroke section yet? Im going to take a wild guess and I think you just might find something

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

It seems like a lot of the 125/250 chassis have been converted to 150 or 450 singles.

I want one.

4. ton

ton Arf!

there are usually a few on the USGPRU forum. but, getting scarce. and hard to resell.

5. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

GP bikes have always been harder to get as the manufacturers didn't import many of them or in the case of Honda (didn't import more than a handful). Most came into North America as "grey market" imports or thru GP bike specific suppliers like Rising Sun Cycle (RSC). As 125s were always significantly cheaper, more GP 125s are available now used. GP 250s are now popular in Europe again. This and vintage racing groups like AHRMA have driven up the prices. Many of the 250s have already been sold to Europe. Expect a Honda RS250 or Yamaha TZ250 to sell for $6000.00 and up depending on year, parts that go with it and condition. Aprilia RS250 "Cup" bikes are a bit more plentiful as they are essentially a street bike without lights. RK97 also makes a good point that some GP bikes have been converted to 4 stroke singles racers. All these things have decreased the supply of 250s and driven prices up. RSC is making up an order for some of the GP Moto 3 four stroke engined Honda racers still being made. Again not cheap.Your best buy is a used Honda RS125 from around 1996-98. parillaguy

6. Ides

Ides Well-Known Member

If you're talking RS250/TZ250.. parillaguy's info is spot on.

However, if you're referring to the 90s 2stroke 250s, then you may want to ping Speedwerks. They have a VJ22, TZR250 and a few others they're cleaning up (potentially for sale?).

7. Dkieran

Dkieran Member

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

A decent Honda 250 or TZ250 will run about 8k. Aprilia RS250's $3000-5000 if you look the right places. For god's sake don't over pay for the Aprilia 250 they are not that rare or exotic.. They are a dime a dozen in the UK.

If you are serious and have the cash talk to Geoff Maloney or Mark Hamilton.

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  9. Dkieran

Dkieran Member

notbostrom, I have to be honest I find your post both unhelpful and frankly, uneducated. I don't want a pointless war and the forum guidelines suggest that you're not meant to post silly nonsense as to price. If you have an opinion that's fine but keep it to yourself with all due respect. If you want a road going Aprilia RS 250, this clearly is not the bike for you and sure you can then go and try to source one of from the UK. But this is not that bike and suggesting that someone is overpaying for something that is not comparable is unhelpful and uneducated.

Substantively here is why you're wrong:

First, you cannot find an RS 250 in the UK with less than 1000 Kms (600 miles, yes, this bike has just 600 miles, basically brand new) for $3000-$5000. Even if you could find such a low milage example, to bring one in officially is, depending on the shipper, $1,800-$2,500 (that doesn't even take into account taxes/customs). So even taking the middle of your range, we're at $4000 + $2000=$6000 just to land the bike--a road going bike (which as a separate point makes it extremely difficult to import officially because you cannot get an EPA certificate for a road going RS250. But we will pretend that is not even an issue).

So we now have a road going bike (with less than 600 miles) for allegedly $6,000. We now add:
    Marchesini magnesium wheels--custom because the rear is 5 inches, not the same as stock and a custom order only--$4,700 (we will ignore the cost of custom machined parts to make the wheel fit)
    Attack performance triples with custom stem to fit Ohlins R&T forks--$1,200
    Ohlins R&T forks--$2,500 (without even adding the brembo 108 mm adaptor mounts or the hugger mounts)
    Ohlins rear shock with piggy back adjuster and--$1,800
    Ohlins steering damper with mounting kit--$400
    AIM MXL pista data logger without any sensors--$1,200
    Brembo Monobloc 4 pad Motogp calipers--$3,300 EACH (total $6,600)
    Brembo rear 64mm GP caliper-- $1,000 (not including custom billet CNC bracket)

So far we have a total of $24,400 (hell, I will even take $4k off and assume you can get the parts at cost, we are still at $20,000) which does not include the carbon bodywork (which has a self-supporting tail unit like a GP bike--nosubframe) and a carbon fiber tank, the braided lines, the built Mototek 316cc motor, the attack performance rearsets, Samco hoses, lithium lightweight battery, the GPS system, the suspension sensors, lean angle sensors, the aluminum fairing bracket, the lightweight chain and sprocket kit, racing air filter...the list goes on.

So saying you can get an RS250 from the UK that is comparable to this bike for $3-$6K is simply wrong. If someone wants that type of bike, that is a different story.

10. notbostrom

Don't get your panties in a wad I wasn't talking about your overbuilt bike. I've been around an RS250 or 10 and know a little about what I'm talking about. There are good stock Cup bikes floating around for vary reasonable money. If you don't like my opinion skip on down to the next post. Nothing in mine was about yours but based on how defensive you are about things you need to get a thicker skin if you are going to hang around here. I answered the previous posters question.... maybe when you contribute more to the forum than showing up to hock your 2 bikes and box van you'll be taken more seriously. I was racing Aprilia's before you were old enough to buy beer.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  11. Dkieran

Dkieran Member

Fair enough. I will take you at your word and so I stand corrected. I apologize if I misunderstood where your comment was directed.

12. notbostrom

BTW they do look like nice bikes

13. Dkieran

Dkieran Member

Thanks, notbostrom and I certainly wish they were not for sale...

Davefrick4437 likes this.
  14. charles

charles The Transporter

In fact they are quite gorgeous bikes ! Gotta appreciate the effort and money put into these machines.

15. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Well-Known Member

if you are still looking for a GP bike call me 501.831.nine four one three

16. matty

matty Well-Known Member

Love to find a rs250 for 4k. Your right they are all over the UK but to find one in the US less than 20 yrs old is tuff

17. notbostrom

Lots of them sitting unused. Just need to know where... Kind of like Fzr400 s

18. matty

matty Well-Known Member

Guess that takes back to OP......" just need to know where"...... anyone know where to get a clean race aprilia RS 250 far around 4k?

19. notbostrom

Call Steve at speedwerks and have him put out feelers

20. notbostrom