1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes oh dirt bikes they make us who we really are...

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Dec 4, 2015.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

5 years off one but I'm back on one and it's a welcome reunion to be honest. I grew up on dirtbikes and to be honest streetbikes and roadracing never crossed my mind with them in my life. They really do teach you the basics on two wheels like nothing else out there.

I am headed back to tight woods and just letting it rip. That's what I know. Don't get too excited I'm still gonna road race :D just been missing the off road part of this experience last year or two especially roadracing.

Did some research the last couple of months and landed with a 2015 Yamaha WR250F all new for 15 based solely on the super duper YZ250F that's so dominate here of late. Yep it's stopped up from the floor due to being a 50 state green sticker bike but I have taken care of that. Race GYTR ecu ordered and new map along with de-snorkel and exhaust mods will be in it before weeks end. Intake and exhaust uncorking already taking place with .3 tenths on the odometer. In fact I have not even rode it and won't until I get it ready power wise and protection wise for the woods. Opted out of getting the full on GNCC weapon YZ250FX because I want to tag it for out west use and the WR will be less modification to do that. The FX has no EPA bullshit to deal with but once I de-Reg the WR it'll be the same beast as the FX. Tougher to go the other direction with the FX imo.

Looking forward to this re-adventure off road, I love a dirtbike!

The new horse on the operating table:)
    [​IMG]

Gotta say these new Yamaha's are super nice!

BluCru :cool:

MELK-MAN, Dano711 and GixxerBlade like this.
  2. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

awesome!

3. roy826ex

Thank you!

I will be needing number plate decals with my usual look. Front plate and both sides ;)

I will call you.

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Ice is where its at

GixxerBlade likes this.
  5. roy826ex

No man south woods in the winter ripping on a dirtbike is where it's at not freezing my ass off on a frozen lake :p

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    I did the ice thing for years before I realized that there are roads that connect the shitty weather to good weather.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

There's nothing like going out and thrashing a dirt bike. Road riding is more like ballet and dirtbikes are more like some other form of something that isn't so smooth and graceful that beats the shit out of you.

roy826ex likes this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think I'm doing it wrong. :D

TheGrouchyCat and crashman like this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sweet ride!

I almost went with a '12 model myself but the dude wanted more $$$ for it than the '12 KTM 250XCFW I wound up buying. My woods riding layoff, however, was/is much longer than your though (30+ yrs!!!). I've only been out on once other than goofing around in the backyard while my kid is riding his DS80, I think I made the right decision getting rid of my older heavier/torquer 450EXC for this thing.

roy826ex likes this.
  10. Critter

Critter Registered

You will need a set of hot cams, for that thing to get it to the FX level

11. roy826ex

Not necessarily from my research.

Either way it'll be nice trade off come monday when I walk out of the tax collectors office with a tag on it :D

12. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Nice Roy!

roy826ex likes this.
  13. Critter

Critter Registered

Usually they have a different profile in the cams. I have ownsed several of these and here would be my list

1) Get the emissions crap OFF
    2) HOT CAMS -- Low end if you are doing enduro, top end if you are dual sporting it
    3) Exhauts and filter
    4) Retune
    5) Suspension set up for either one of the above.

14. roy826ex

It's the same bike for 2015 FX or WR outside the bs epa stuff induced by our government on the WR so Yamaha can sell it as a 50 state green sticker bike. The engine is absolutely the same as the FX except for exhaust, throttle stop screw, Intake restrictions and the most important part the race ecu. I did my home work this is not the WR of old. That animal is dead and gone. It's all the same now from Yamaha on the enduro woods side. The FX and WR share the same good suspension from Kayaba which rivals KTMs front fork by a mile. The FX and WR are 6 speed now and the SX/MX 250F is the 5 speed with the stiff SX suspension.

The 250X is the 2 smoker with same good WR and FX suspenders but from what I'm hearing needs a flywheel weight is needed to take the hit out of it in the woods outside that its a awesome bike at 229 lbs wet.

15. Critter

Critter Registered

I checked you are right the cams are the same and the genny too.

roy826ex likes this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

No shit! My riding is more like a gymnastics tumbling routine.:D

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I had a 2012 it was a blast but I didn't have anyone to ride with and with the limited amount of time I have now, my free time goes to Road racing. I didn't start in dirt though so I suck in the dirt. The other problem is that in hairy situations I rely on RR survival responses and that doesn't work on dirt.

Make sure you post up pics of the rides on IG!!

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I went through the same thing. In the dirt 9 times out of 10 the best way out of a bad situation is to pin it.

That approach doesn't work on pavement. :D

I started riding Moto at 30 years old with some really fast guys. Like pro national fast in some cases. It accelerated the learning curve, but also earned me a nice relationship with my orthopedic surgeon.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

CR let me ride one of his 250's for a day. It was a blast. Way easier than my old KTM 300MXC. Great bikes.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah I already know my ortho pretty well. me and him don't get along, hes really good but conservative as hell. Me no likey. Plus I never really had anyone to really really ride with.