1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Truck Advice: 04-06 F-150 or Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I know there's lots of used truck threads; however, they're still the ones on new trucks than what I am trying to purchase. I have looked around at the new trucks and it's just crazy when I look at a reasonable optioned F-150 XLT with a $49k sticker :confused: :confused:

So I'm thinking of just buying one with cash and skip the car payment crap all together. I've always been a Ford guy, but never owned an F-150. Also never owned any Toyota.

So, looking at 04-06 year F-150's and Tundras, 4 door, 4x4's. These were the years before the crew max and beefier Tundra came out, and the 5.4 Triton years in the F-150. So, opinions on these gen trucks? F-150 with 5.4 vs the Tundra with 4.7 v8? Both would be low mileage options with less than 100k.

I know these year Tundra's were before they became real heavy duty, but the max i'll be towing is a 7x12 trailer/camping weighing no more than 4k loaded, so both should tow perfectly fine. I've always leaned Ford, but keep feeling like the Toyota will keep me out of the shop more...

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Stay with the Ford if you're going pre newer gen Tundra. Toyota had a good truck but the newer one is leaps and bounds better than the 06 and before

3. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I get that the new one is better (I just think they're ugly), but is a 10 year old F-150 still better than the same year Tundra? I guess I'm most concerned with the reliability factor. I feel like the 4.7 of the Tundra will be a better long term drivetrain than the Ford, no?

Since buying cash with under 100k, my concern is making sure I don't offset the savings with repair bills and then kick myself for not just buying new...

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Agreed. That 04+ F-150 is ubiquitous while that model Tundra is an oddball that never really fit anywhere properly - too big as a mini-truck, too small as a real truck.

5. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

High mile, 08 Tundra if it's a budget issue.

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I'll sell you my 2014 Tundra :)

7. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I've got an 06 tundra with 170k and never had any issues whatsoever. Still drives like the day I bought it and I beat the crap out of it.

8. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Depending on what it is you have, that could actually be an option. Wife and I are also still debating on buying one with cash around the $15-17k mark or upping it for a couple (2-3 years old) since it would be a longer term option..

If you're serious, PM some details.. Most likely, it's too fancy, but doesn't hurt :D

9. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

TUNDRA all the way!

10. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I like to hear this. Something keep bringing me to the Tundra. I get that it's not a "true" full size because it's not as big as the f-150, but it still shouldn't have trouble with a 7x12 trailer which is the worst that it will see next to long road trips...

I just feel like I've read to many things on the 5.4 F-150? I know any of them can run a LOT of miles, but it's the $$ to keep the 5.4 running that I'm worried about..

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm trying to get rid of my original owner 2006 2WD F150 for $8800 and can't even get a phone call on it. 131K miles. Wait a couple years and you'll be able to pick them up for free.

12. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

Be VERY careful of the aluminum head issue on the Fords. I can't seem to recall if that affected the 5.4L engine or just the 4.6L. Major issues with spark plugs...of all things. That generation of Tundra is rock solid...just mind the body/rust condition.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It was a 5.4 issue, I think even more than a 4.6 issue. However, it's not that big of a deal anymore. There are easily attainable special tools and enough people have done the job multiple times that they can knock them out pretty quickly and inexpensively.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There is also a Ford class action settlement to assist with the costs.

15. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I remembered reading some things on the 5.4 class-action suit.. It's things like that that are leaning me to the Tundra....

16. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Depends a little on what you want to do with it. If you plan on towing regularly, I'd strongly consider the F150. That said, I have '04 Tundra Lmitied DC 4x4 with 4.7L and LOVE IT. Perfect size IMO, very comfortable & refined inside, bulletproof engine and have had no problems in 140k miles while doing prescribed maintenance. Gas mileage kind of sucks, 14-15 around town up to 18 highway. It's the perfect truck for me doing typical homeowner stuff (Lowe's trips, occasional towing, gravel/mulch trips, etc) and then driving for family trips. In fact, just made the 12hr trek to Barber in it and no complaints. But, it's tow rating is low (like 5000# with all the bells & whistles in the Limited) so if you're wanting to tow regularly it's not the best choice. The wife & I occasionally talk about getting a camper and my Tundra really limits what we can pull. That said, I love it and I plan on keeping it forever.

FYI, there was a recent recall on Toyota truck frames. Dealer inspects and if it fails the frame gets replaced but if it passes it gets an aftermarket rust-proofing.

BigBird and trojanliu like this.
  17. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

The recall is good to know. It's rated at 7k and I won't tow all that often. I'll tow from March-October probably once a month, maybe twice a month a couple of times, but that's it (and only in the south. It would definitely be a DD family trip hauler first, tow vehicle second. And the max i'll be towing with it is 4k pounds. For reference, this is the same trailer I pulled with my 04 v8 Explorer all year, so surely the Tundra will do it better than that.

Chonchito likes this.
  18. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Tundra. Got me an 07 double cab myself. Nice thing about 07+ is that the design remained unchanged until 2014.

19. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Yep, probably fine just be aware of the limitations. From Onlinetowingguide.com:
    Tow rating... 6,500 lbs.
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating... 6,600 lbs.
    Gross Combined Weight Rating... 13,100 lbs.

That assumes the GVWR is accurate, which I thought was usually based on like a single "average" sized driver and full tank of gas rather than 4 people, bikes/cooler/whatever in the bed like it's usually loaded for trips.

Also, turning radius on the Double Cab sucks. :D

20. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I used to have a 2000 Tundra, and currently have a 2014. Both are great trucks. I've driven a few F150's with the 5.4. Fuck that engine. No balls and sucks down gas. Buddy at work had one ('04) he bough new that gave him problems. Spark plug stuck in the head and the cam-phasers had to be replaced at 90k. So there you have it. Tundra yes. Fuck you 5.4loadofdogshit F150.