Got to drive a 125 cc Seniot TAG kart today. WOW!

Discussion in 'General' started by The Dung Beetle, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

The 250 single cylinders do about 135 at Blackhawk, larger courses you can get 150-160. We used to run Rs250 twins which where much faster then the gasgas engine. they put out like 95 horse compared to 75.

The driver walked away unharmed completely. He is actually out semi mechanic we let drive a kart a few times. Few bruises and that's all!

Leather suits are mandatory In superkarts in Europe. It is a very good idea to wear one, but its very difficult to get a custom one made for that position you are in the kart. You cannot just put a bike leather suit on, because of the awkward angle you are meant to sit on a bike, compared to a kart.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Can't fit in them then, I've tried.. Plus the weight added is a big disadvantage..

3. Dillonjohnson

At Blackhawk farms, Jason Farrell, a top level expert around here turned a 1:07.9. A regular average at the races of top level experts is about a 1:10. Jordan had a 1:07.3, and when we go back im in no doubt with a little more setup, he will be in the 1:06's. The 250 is quite a bit faster, especially in the corners. They pull around 2.5-3g through corners. Im not sure what a bike will do, but I believe they're right around the 1 g mark.

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

The organizers were pissed because at Laguna Seca a year or two ago, the only thing faster than Eddie Lawson in his 250cc SuperKart were the P900 cars.

I have driven one of the Honda RS125 powered ones and it was a laugh riot. Yes, the ribs were VERY sore, but it was worth it. I had a Rotax TAG setup and it did not come close to comparing to the shifter.

Bring lots of $$$ for tires.....

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Damn, now I don't feel so good about the numbers I got out of my YZ250 'tard project. 75hp out of a 250 MX motor?!

6. Dillonjohnson

Yes 75 out of the GASGAS. It has quite a bit of work done. The Gasgas does last a year with no problems too, which I good. regular maintenance and they are very reliable.

We have half inch thick padded fiberglass rib protectors, and 3 years of racing the seat has wore through and broke it. It is very rough on the chest.

7. noles19

Not that I'm doubting you. But do you have dyno print out of 75hp out of a 250cc 2 stroke?:wow:

8. sdg

sdg *

Built 125 honda powered tony shifter: I lost a tire at the end of the main under heaving braking, spun it across the dirt and the rear frame caught the concrete curb on the INSIDE (dirt side - nice big lip) of the next corner, bent frame, cracked a brand new seat and enough whiplash to see stars and daze me pretty good.

Shifters can really hurt too.

9. 1coopgt

1coopgt Well-Known Member

Did the same thing my self . Had some fractured ribs . Took about a month to heal up . I was having to much fun to stop .

10. RGV 500

The good 250 SuperKart engines are twin cylinder and produce in the neighborhood of 110 HP. Not bad for the amout of weight it is pushing around.

11. noles19

Okay that I can see!

12. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I thought most kart classes weigh the kart and rider together, the reason when kids go up a class they have a bunch of lead bolted to the seat.

Matt Cheely and I have driven karts in full leathers it works fine.

13. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

If built 125's are doing over 40hp why not 75 out of a 250?

+1 on hurt ribs in one of the 125's. Fun stuff.

14. noles19

Some do, but just like motogp, if you can put the weight where you want it it's a big advantage.
    Do you have a hump on your suit? Mine prevented me from sitting comfortable.

15. noles19

Where are 125 mx engines making that?

16. Dillonjohnson

It isn't a stock stock Honda either... They do some porting to a limit, which is checked by tech. it isn't really entirely an mx engine once completed for a kart build. It'll be a 1999 case, with the older 6 speed tranny. 2001 cylinder and head. Ported to an extent with karting reeds, a specific karting pipe, like an RLV R4, and a silencer. You also plug the power valves. Usually some sort of pro circuit pipe that is bought in bulk and then the company modifies them to their specs. But they do put out a good 40 hp I believe, and they run FOREVER.

17. Dillonjohnson

I don't have a dyno sheet. They're all different anyways but that's what a single cylinder gasgas can make. The man that built this engine is probably one of the best in world with them.

Now a twin, that's a different story entirely, but 110 hp sounds high. The rs250 was/is still one of the best and we had right around 95 horse. The new DEA in line twins make a little more horsepower now, but they're super expensive and break just as much, if not more.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. Dillonjohnson

You do have to be a minimum weight. I am right about the 150 mark and on a spec class like the 125's, I have to add a ton of weight to make the scales. If it's available, the extra few pounds for a leather suit would definitely outweigh the disadvantage of a regular suit just for the protectiveness. We were going to get them, but it's just really hard to find someone that can do it all. its actually smart thing to get a leather suit, because when you do crash a kart, you're body is meant to fall out of it. Usually pretty violently as seen in the video... He got lucky to land in the grass.

19. RGV 500

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I occasionally go to a kart track just east of Indy called New Castle Motorsports Park. A family friend owns it, my brother has a 125cc TAG kart there, he rents a garage. They are definitely a workout to drive.

It's cool watching the pros out there, they make it look easy.
    I was going out once and the owner, Mark said he would go out also and play. I made a comment that if I was 40 lbs lighter, I could keep up with him, just as a joke. We went out and he was goneā€¦.instantly, I didn't think these karts would turn that fast, at least the first two turns I saw him at. It took him 3 laps to lap me, a lap is 6000'. He doesn't hold the track record!