1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it time to buy a new truck?

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Speaking of refurbing old trucks...What's peoples experience with new parts off of e-bay? Tanks, sending units, fuel lines, bumpers etc. These are 1/2 price of LMC truck plus shipping is free. I know this is most likely Chinese reproduction stuff but what really isn't these days? If I get 5 more years of duty out of it I'd be happy. Thanks

2. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

sry. somehow missed the diesel bit in your first post. you haul loaded every day or?

3. There it is. That is the only reason that matters. I've kept a vehicle for 3 years, and I've gotten a new one as soon as 6 months. If i look at a vehicle and don't think "that thing is badass" or "I fucking love this thing" or if I don't look forward to washing it because seeing it clean makes me excited, then it is time for something new.

4. But my dad has a more practical approach. Once a vehicle is paid off, he sets a $3k limit per year. If a vehicle costs him $3k or less in maintenance, parts, etc then he will keep it. If it gets old enough that stuff starts failing more often and/or if something big fails and he spends more than $3k in a calendar year, then he gets a new one.

5. That is a really good idea. The budget is already set and you are used to that money coming out every month, so just keep taking it out and put it in savings.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

No. Just to the track and a few other places. You think an F150 could do that?

7. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

This. Get rid of the EGR system, and rock on. The trucks are awesome once it's gone!

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

+1. Literally the exact same thing.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm thinking about another hoopty C4 vette to commute with, one with an auto (stop and go commuting sux bad enough, worse with a clutch in the mix).

This is similar to my thinking.

10. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Americans have gotten insane with vehicles. They are a depreciating asset and as a country, we have waay too much money tied up in vehicles. I work with guys who drive vehicles equal to a year of salary. I'm currently at about 10%, paid cash, and will do the same the next time I need a truck. I'll take a nice house and we'll funded retirement over vehicles, any day.

11. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if the whole "gotta drive a truck" (and not just a truck but gotta be this big, 4x4, etc) thing was instituted by the same folks who made De Beers engagement ring scam happen here. Utterly irrational but very, very profitable. Both the Arabs and the big 3 could've easily funded such a campaign.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Maybe I'm just older and marginally wiser, but this is where I'm at. When I was in my 20's and starting out in my profession, I drove shitty trucks because I had to. Getting a house was priority. Fast forward a few years, bought a nice, well appointed (but 2wd) truck. Still have that truck 10 years later, and I swear I hope nothing happens to it. There are sooooo many things I'd rather do with ~$500 a month than pay for a truck that will get driven 5k miles a year.

I'd rather buy another touring bike, or a 1st gen Monte or some other stupid hotrod for 1/5th the cost and have fun in that while the truck is relegated to strictly truck duty. And, have that shit paid off in a year. YMMV, just my situation and my plan.

13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. As much as I would love a $50k truck, I couldn't possibly justify the payment. I ended up with an '08 Tacoma with 55k miles for $17,500 last year, it's not as cool as those expensive trucks but it does what I need it to and it should hold it's value and be cheap to maintain. I can't believe how much money people burn on newer vehicles, it makes no sense to me.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Go test drive one and you'll see. If you're able to afford the payment it's really nothing. I frankly don't want to afford a $560 for 72 months of payments right now, not saying I can't. I'm probably going to do the egr,arp studs, and tuner to make it all run right. Already did the oil cooler and the fuel bypass blue spring.

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You're chasing into dungeon territory, but I do have to agree. I know so many people that drive a 1/2 ton pick or larger for a DD. Never hauls a thing in the bed. Buys the Ram Mega Cab for more leg room for their kids...still doesn't haul anything in the now very tiny bed.

I love my little POS beater car for work. Truck sits in the garage, and now, 90% of its miles is towing duty for track weekends. I don't care that it sits, because it's an older truck that I'm not paying $500+ a month on. Keeps the miles low on it so it will hold it's value for as long as possible (pre emissions 5.9, always sought after), and it's sure nice filling up a little shit box car that gets 34MPG like clock work and not 17 MPG. Not to mention 87 is far cheaper than diesel...

Did the math for the amount of miles I drive, car paid for itself last month (in fuel savings alone). From here on out, it's all pocketed money. Don't get me wrong, I love new vehicles as much as anyone here, but for me, I'd rather buy more race entries than spend that money on a truck. What good would a brand new truck be if I couldn't afford to race?

16. I love trucks, but having a Crew Cab 4x4 as a DD in the city gets old. That is what led to me looking at the Porsche. I don't care about the mpg or fuel costs, that is job security. I just hate trying to park the damn things and it is harder to wheel and deal through traffic.

I'll probably always have a truck, but I'll have something else for daily shit. The truck will be a tool to be used when needed.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I'm with Josh. If the truck is in otherwise great shape and it's only going to take a few thousand to shore up its longevity, I think it might be a no brainer.

With that said, I KNOW all too much about how one can get when we have it in our head to want and go for something newer.......that feeling sucks when you're on a limited budget. LOL!

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This type of logic. Once (maybe twice) a year truck goes to the mechanic for a preventative once over. I set the benchmark at ~$1000 max. Very seldom have i spent more than $3-400. So far it's worked for us. As long as the vehicles are reliable (" I can drive it cross country whenever") we aren't too vain when it comes vehicles.

Damn things cost too much, period.

(You would hate it Chris, '02 Silverado 5.3l, 2wd. Boring, totally uninspiring, no coal rolling or nothin' :D)

19. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

This.

I love my new Cummins Ram but if I didn't have my car I'll have issues.
    That and driving a brand new vehicle making you feel good about life.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Loved driving new trucks, hated the payments. Probably never buy a new one again.