1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's our resident bicycle parts dealer?

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Aug 28, 2015.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I am building a commute bike, 16+ miles each way. I have everything to get rolling and stopping, but now I'm into upgrading/replacing consumables. I'm looking for drive train components in a 9-speed variety, road use. Cassette, front chain rings, chain, and maybe even disc brake calipers. I'm VERY price point sensitive, and have found some wicked deals online. However, I would like to put money into a racer's pocket, if possible.

Cassette: Prefer 11-26, Shimano or SRAM? I know just enough to be dangerous, and am currently locked into "paralysis by analysis." I'm thinking a 12-25 Shimano Ultegra or 11-26 SRAM PG970. I have read that the Shimano shifts smoother than the SRAM;but the counter-point is that the SRAM has a more "positive" engagement.

Also, since I'm riding four seasons, should I just get a cheap cassette (Shimano HG-50 for or SRAM PG950 for $26), or go for the higher end (Shimano Ultegra 13-25 or SRAM PG 970 12-26 for $45)?

Chain: Need a good four-season brand.

Chain rings: 50/34 in 110 BCD. Cheap is good, as I'll be replacing them fairly often.

Brakes: TRP Spyre is what I'm looking at, as I can buy front and rear for the cost of a single Hy/Rd setup. Well, maybe not exactly, but pretty close. Prefer the simplicity of the cable brakes over having to deal with yet ANOTHER set of hydraulic brakes.

Looking for suggestions on cassette ratio as well. I have one big climb on my way home, thinking I need a 25-26 rear cog paired with the 34 front, I don't know if I can pull a 23 just yet. Looking for ideas.

2. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I'd get BB7S instead of that TRP setup, sure modulation might be nicer on the TRP (I haven't tried) but BB7/BB5 is a much more proven design.

If you want cheap just go to Recycled Cycles in UW or some similar shop, grab a handful of stuff and bolt that on :)

For a commuter just a wide range mountain bike cassette (11-34 or 11-36) in a 9x1 setup might work Ok.

3. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Actually, lemme think about this -- a complete drivetrain off a Coda Elite will be taken off that bike tomorrow, and I don't think I'll need it. It's mid to low range Shimano stuff AFAIR, worked great while I had that on.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I am on a wide range right now, and more interested in the close ratio for my commute. However, let me know what you end with as extras and we can chat. I'll be at Pacific today (in the monsoon, apparently), don't know if you will have tme to swing by. But I might have some time tomorrow.

Is the Coda 11-30? 9 Speed?

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Once you figure out what you want, let me know and I'll get you some prices.
    Only problem is going to be shipping across country. I can get better prices on SRAM than Shimano at the moment.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Pricepoint

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Will do. I have an 11-26 SRAM and 12-25 Shimano (both used) available to test so I'll figure something out very soon. I hope...
    Well. Yet another place to waste time and money. Thanks, both sarcastic and genuine. No, really.