1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Tire Wear Pattern.....?????

Discussion in 'General' started by xrated, Aug 24, 2015.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Jeez, the angry dwarf has to steal been access from his daughter while on vacation, and he comes back all warm fuzzy bunny slippers nice and helpful.

'Scuse me while I :Puke:

2. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I was trying to figure out if it was a hot or cold tear. The fact that you weren't using warmers leads me to the conclusion of cold tear.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You need to check your gauge against a regulator or your tire guys gauge. If you've used it several years and it ever got dropped who knows what you've got. Not saying it's the cause of the problem but you should check them all periodiclly just so you know if it's off,which way and how much.

4. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I had a very similar tear a little while back. Looking at my notes it was caused from the rebound being too fast. When I added some rebound damping it cleaned right up and the bike felt better coming off the throttle.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

How did it feel?

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i don't think that's cold tear OR hot tear (with good suspension that's usually consistent around the circumference) .. so imo more likely it's a suspension issue, and you need to get with Thermosman. I suspect rebound, i just can't remember if you add or take away cause my bikes have worked so f-ing awesome for so f-ing long i never see that nonsense on my tires :) May wanna just check your suspension period, if it hasn't been serviced in a while. there is something wrong with your boinger i suspect.

and ya need to check the gauge against Stickboy's or another known GOOD gauge. 27-28psi off track is TOO MUCH.. looking for 25psi hot off the track, right away (as in don't take 5 minutes to get to your pit after coasting on the cool down lap).. go fast on cool down lap, have a buddy check on hot pit. Then set your warmer psi accordingly.

no warmers; 21.5-22 is still likely too much starting out. and why you are seeing 27-28 off track. even not using warmers, that pattern is from the thing bouncing. i'm pretty sure you can adjust that out (just not sure which way to go) asuming the shock is in good working order.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. MELK-MAN

and you should be filling up that new shop with goodies Robby-Bobby.. or cleaning something, or building someones motor, or..
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I suspected rebound damping also, simply from the fact that it looks like it's "bouncing"......ala the space in between the tearing. Thanks for all the responses.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I can remember Dave Moss diagnosing a tire that looked very similar to this on one of his tech talk session things. Its almost 2 hours long but its very informative stuff if you have a bit of time and are interested in watching.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6516891

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link ^^^^^^. I'll catch it later today......I appreciate ya!

11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Anyone with half a brain can tell those wear patterns were caused by Warped EBC Rotors & EBC brake pads that don't fit ...

12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Melk...... Thanks for your input too, suspension is definitely not my strong point. Next time out I'll probably start out closer to 20 psi cold pressure and get a hot pressure right of the track. The new Power Cup EVO seems to be even a little more sensitive to pressure than the Power Cup.

13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

To much air. Had the same problem at Nola many times over. My suspension was Thermosman and not the problem.

14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

So, it looks like it's shaping up to be too much pressure AND a slight rebound issue! That gives me something to go on. I appreciate all the responses.

15. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I've seen that before. A buddy of mine (6'4 and 275lb) had a similar pattern on a tire. In his case the spring was too soft causing the shock to pack down at the bottom of the stroke. It is likely that either the spring is too light or there is too much rebound damping.

16. David Grey

David Grey Well-Known Member

Tire wear issue

what spring rate do you have ?

17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Dave, I'll have to look in the computer when I get home tonight. The puzzling thing about that is, it didn't show up until Sunday afternoon and never before on any of the other 6 times I've been there.

18. MELK-MAN

too firm a spring can be as much a contributor to this issue as too soft. so many variables. Too firm a spring is trying to hold this tire down, but the design of the carcass being more flexible than say a dunlop, causing it to start to bounce, if it was a softer spring, it may simply settle into the part of the stroke it needs to be.. again, some different valving or adjustment of comp or reb could help, but too much spring has been shown to be more of an issue with this and some other softer carcass tires vs. already starting too soft. but your results can vary, always consult your suspension tech.

19. MELK-MAN

and considering it had never shown up before, all other things equal, it could be something as simple as too much air pressure this time.. it's hot right now. so your on track psi may have been higher than normal considering it's 90f outside..

especially if you set your psi in the MORNING when it was say 70f. There was likely 1-2psi increase just from the am to the afternoon. so you were running around with more psi than you thought come the heat of the day..

20. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I generally set cold pressure right before going out in the morning. Then, at lunch time, the bike goes up on stands and completely in the shade and allowed to cool off to ambient air temperature..... Whatever that may be. Then, right before going back out, "cold pressure" is set again.... Normally around an indicated 21.5. This happened late in the afternoon, and I did not have time for the tires to fully cool off again...... so maybe by that time they were over inflated??????