1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pregnant at the track?

Discussion in 'General' started by surfingsk8r, Aug 14, 2015.

1. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

So my wife is pregnant and I am going to be racing at NJMP September 5 and 6. She will be about 20 weeks at that point. She is a bit nervous about being at the track because of the smells related to various race fuels (I use pump so it's not at our pit spot) and exhaust fumes etc. my initial thought was that it would be fine because we will be outdoors and whatnot. I want her to be there but I don't want to put her or the baby at risk.

So what have you guys done. Does the wife/SO join you while pregnant or is it best to have her stay at home. She has another doctors appt in a few days so we were going to ask her as well but I figured some people might have insight here as well.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, I wouldn't think she would be exposed to the gas fumes for extended periods of time, and the noise and exhaust fumes will quickly dissipate. If anything, maybe try to pit a bit out of the way where you can still hear and see what's going on. If she supports you and wants to go, take her.

First child??? Lol!

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

My wife was working registration and putting my bike on the stands with two weeks to go. A week and a half after the boy was born we were back at the track with the kid. YRMV good luck, kid has the proper amount of toes, fingers, and legs.

4. ton

ton Arf!

i appreciate the nervousness. but to put it in context, you'll be exposed to higher levels of environmental pollutants on the GSP any day of the week (and on the trip to NJMP) than sitting at the track.

5. surfingsk8r

That is kind of what I was thinking as far as pit location. And yes this is our first child. Thanks.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Relax, Mother Nature has a prtty good grasp on how this shit works.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I leave the diva st home. Racing is my fun time. I don't need the hassle. LolLol:D

8. Scooter_428

Scooter_428 Member

I am the wife of renegade17 and when I asked my doctor about going to the track, the only thing that was mentioned was that after 16 weeks the baby has developed good hearing, so avoid loud sounds. So I stayed away from the straights and starting grids, but in the pits with normal sound activity, she will be fine. As for the fumes, its in an open environment, so unless she is sniffing it straight from the can, you'll have no worries :)

Also for when the baby is born and you take him/her to the track, be sure to buy some baby earmuffs. Baby Banz make some for infants and toddlers, they are by far the best brand that I have found and our boy doesn't ever seem to mind them on. When we had him at Mid-O for Vintage/WERA days at 2 weeks old, he slept through my husband's whole race with the earmuffs on.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It's more dangerous walking through wal Mart than the track.

You can trust me I've watched doctor shows.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

If you want any chance of a future Moto GP legend, you should be getting the earliest start possible.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd just tell you to have a comfortable place for her to hang out (ACed with a comfy chair) close to the bathrooms.

Or at least a cart or pitbike to get her back and forth to the can.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Is this a polite and informative post from DaveK? That is a good way to ruin a long earned reputation.

I have nothing to add on the OP's subject.

13. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

That is because Jacey is a badass.

14. Matt_McC

Matt_McC New Member

When my wife was pregnant with our 1st child, We were at a cicrle track (pits) every saturday. When the Modified's would start he would jump and move around a lot in her stomach. She also inhaled all the race fuel fumes. After he was born and for a couple years after he was very sensative to loud sounds. Dont know if it was related. He is now 20, Just finished his 2nd year of college and is happy and EXTREMELY healthy kid.

Matt

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Just don't do what I did on my wife's first road trip with me to Jennings. She was my girlfriend of two months at the time.

I had an empty 5 gallon race fuel can in the back of the 4Runner so I could fill it up on the way back to the track the next morning. It had fallen over out of sight and the wife was cold so she sat in the car most of the day. Needless to say, she was sick as a dog the last day of our trip and actually had to wear a damn adult diaper on the 15 hour drive home.

16. surfingsk8r

I appreciate the responses guys. It sounds like we don't have to much to worry about as long as we are not idiots about things.

Scooter 428 I did not know that about the noise stuff. I had not thought of that so thank you for that insight.

I guess the plan will be to put towards the back area somewhere near the old concession stand. That is typically a little out of the way of most pit traffic and is close to bathrooms.

Thanks again everyone. I know my wife feels better hearing that it's not uncommon for pregnant women to be at the track.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

In order for a fetus to be affected by pollutants from the outside air the mother has to, for the most part, be exposed very early in the pregnancy. At 20 weeks that baby is already well on it's way to being born like a kid ready to race. Just avoid injecting her with any race fuel or stuff like that. :)

18. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

My wife was like 8 months pregnant when I highsided to the moon (she saw the whole thing). I thought she was going to have the baby right then.

19. sowega

sowega #710

Robby Bobby's been going to the track pregnant for years, hasn't he?

20. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

First time having a baby huh? lol It will be fine. My gf was mowing the yard at 8 months pregnant