1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dazzling Meteor Shower Wed and Thur Night

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Every year they say, "THIS YEAR it's going to be spectacular!!!"

Every year I fall for it & go drive out to the country & get eat up by mosquitos to MAYBE see two or three faint specks flash across 5 degrees of sky over the course of an hour and a half.

Not this year.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I will check it out tonight. I'm up at 4am, all I have to do is walk outside onto the back patio.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:
    If I see some on the ride home that's cool. But I ain't going crazy looking for them.

5. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I drove to the mountains on the first night of said meteor showers back in 2012 and let me tell you it was PRETTY awesome.

We saw about maybe 10-12/hour while having some beers and just hanging out. You really need to be far FAR away from the city - I drove two hours north into the White Mountains. Would do again if not on a weekday.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You can start seeing sporadic ones before midnight. Was able to see them from my back yard last year after 10. It's pretty rural here but still plenty of lights. The biggest factor is how clear the sky is.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Anyone else sitting outside like a schmuck like me :D

I've caught 3 so far. Pretty cool.

8. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

My wife and I were just outside looking up and managed to catch a few, one was really good in particular had a bright long tail before it vanished.

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Wife and I were out for close to 2 hours, had the telescope out too. Saw probably around 20. Just scanning the sky with the scope and found a galaxy, also saw a satellite pass right through my view. Enjoyable night. :)

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just saw a couple. I think I'm about two hours too late.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Saw three around 10PM over about a 10 minute span.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Didn't even bother #becauseNYC

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

At 04:37am, I saw an airplane.

14. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

We saw roughly fifty from 2:00am to 3:30. Damn good show.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I got tipsy, passed out, and missed it. fml.

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I saw a bunch coming out of the Eisenhower Tunnel heading for Denver Wednesday morning at about 4:30 AM. Wondered what was going on . . . . Pretty good viewing at 12,000 ft with a clear sky. Not a lot of traffic at that time of day . . . .

Cheers,

Dave