1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Than the Transit Connect

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Which roof and wheelbase did you end up with?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! The real van is the full size transit. This looks more like the size of an old school 60's work van or the stubby ones like Chevy I think had.

Personally I'd go the full size Transit mid to high roof, long wheelbase, either eco boost or baby diesel, sides doors on both sides, one bench seat in back and the rest cargo :D

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It could pass as an updated Astro.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which one? The Mercedes seems quite a bit larger than an Astro or Aerostar (we've had both, Aerostar long wb was a lot bigger - could actually haul a GSXR1100).

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The MB. Wasn't the Astro built on more of a truck frame? I know most had a 4.3 truck engine.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, real frame (S10 maybe?) which was better than the Aerostar for sure.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Aerostar was Ranger chassis, Astro was S-10. I had an Aerostar. It was a great vehicle. Would have bought another if they hadn't stopped making them.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

This MB looks nice, but no AWD/4WD option ruins it for me. Plus the price is too close to the Sprinter which you CAN get with 4WD or a Sienna minivan with AWD.

9. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

I thought the aerostar was front wheel drive?

I still have my safari (GMC) w/ +400k one the original 4.3 but went though a couple of the 700R4 transmissions until I built my own that I sourced from a corvette.

the astro/safari have a unique (only found on astro/safaris) sub-frame chassis set-up, the f. suspension components are from the monte carlos (same geometry) the hubs and bolt circles are the same (5 on 5 bolt circle) as the full size GM cars and trucks.

Ive had a really nice 327 V8 ready do drop in mine for years waiting on the 4.3 to give up but it hasnt yet. its almost a direct bolt in conversion.

dont know why GM ended production without a suitable replacement.

were the aerostars available in AWD?

Ive driven the sprinters and thats definitely what I would get next if I needed a new van.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

The Ram ProMaster is pretty bad ass in this category.

11. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

another "badass" FIAT

LOL

12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

That Metris looks pretty damn good for a 1-2 bike operation. 2500 lbs payload, 9ish feet of cargo length, 55 inch interior height, torquey turbo engine, rear wheel drive, AND would fit in my standard sized garage.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I forgot all about this...MotoGP..great point...it has to be added back to my list when I replace the T&C.

14. light 3

light 3 the bot

this thing seems pretty badass and good compromise if you don't want to get a bigger Sprinter van. me likey.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I saw some of these as Taxi's last week in Europe and they looked nice. I kept hoping we would get one, but ended up with Fiat vans or a variety of Skoda, Mercedes, Renault and Citroen cars.

16. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Its shit compared to the Ford. I tried them both before I bought.

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You shut your mouth. The Astro was a damn fine machine you hear!! Ok so you had to remove the passenger seat and shove the driver seat full forward to fit a bike in but hey!! 22MPG and 80mph to get through east St, Louis works! :D

18. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

You guys go back and forth, but as someone who's looking to haul 1 SV, 1 TTR-90, a wife and a babyseat to the track - this might be the dream solution for me. High 20s MPG, fits in the garage for winter work...

I'm pretty stoked for when these are 3 years off lease.

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

It has a 2L 4 cylinder gas engine. Metris Specs.

It's not going to be quick.

20. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

I'm on a tiny V6 e150 today which is 195 hp / 245 torque. Metric is coming in at 208 hp / 258 torque.

So more hps / torques and 2x the mpgs? I'm ok with that 'speed'. It's a cargo Van. I'm not looking to drag race it.