1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oshkosh?

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveThompson, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've never been but would like to someday. It would be even better if I could go for work but that will likely never happen; I'm not important enough or in the right department.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I always work there every year. This year about 550,000 people went and I think about 16,500 airplanes. If you are coming next year, pm me and I can probably give better advice.

It all depends on what you want to see. I like the vintage airplanes the best. There is an air show every day that starts at about 2:30. You have almost unlimited choices of stuff to do. Everything from free welding seminars to the Young Eagles banquet that is $1,000 per plate.

I recommend coming earlier in the week. Everyone is in a better mood and more stuff is going on. There are usually even some pretty good concerts. This year they had the Apollo 13 astronauts and mission control guy giving talks.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Avoid driving at all costs. Oshkosh has gone waaaaay overboard with roundabouts the past couple years. This city sucks for driving to begin with. EAA, CUSA, and RUSA all draw in even more that don't know where they're going or how to get there leaving it an absolute cluster for 3 weeks every year. It's so bad that we even change our work schedules to avoid the main times.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Easier said than done. I could, however, get to a hotel during traffic off-hours and shuttle to-n-fro', correct?

5. fastfreddie

Thanks for the offer. I'll hit ya up next year.

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If you manage to get a reservation at the Hilton Garden, you may not even have to do that much.

7. fastfreddie

I saw that, pretty much right on the premises.
    I was thinkin' the Best Western, just in case I wanted to get away from it for an evening.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I saw that band at Ozzfest one year. Put me right to sleep. :down:

9. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I kinda like it! The first time I flew in to work the show, I had a broken leg. My partner in the plane, also a pilot, was so terrified by the notion he had me fly...
    "Orange and White Cessna 210, Green Dot!!"

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Steve,

If you see anyone selling off any Pratt PT6 or PW100 series engines/parts can you pick them up for me? Pay you back asap.

11. SteveThompson

I've never really seen any turbine parts. The fly market is mostly just junk. Do you work for Dallas Airmotive or something?

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

My dad was a long time member of the EAA. His pride and joy was his P51 midget that we built together and I soloed in on my 16th BD. When I was 13-14 I worked summers in the Juneau Airport shop which was the last fuel stop for many of the smaller planes going to Oshkosh. I think my most awesome experience from the airshow was when me and my dad flew in the Concord and had to fly over Canada to go supersonic. Damn that was a long time ago.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  13. fastfreddie

Midget Mustangs...too cool.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Did you sell any M's at the show?

A Meridian is on my lotto winning wishlist.

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Dallas Airmotive is one of my Customers/vendors. When I buy engines they or another shop do all the inspection work, tear it down and ship me back all the parts they didn't offer to buy. I buy mostly Pratt Turboprops but have purchased almost every turbine imaginable. Allied Signal APU's, GE, Turbomeca heli's even some ground turbines.

Had a FAA145 shop for years, now just working from home and having others do the inspection work for me.

16. ChemGuy

Yearly Bump for OSH.
    Leaving Sunday for my first trip, coming back Thursday. Camping in north 40. If you see a semi-drunk guy who looks like Drew Carey, only more handsome, thats probably me.

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yeah ... Hearing the planes flying over the office all morning. I hate this time of year. And come prepared. Shit is HOT out this weekend.

18. SteveThompson

I'm heading up again to work for the week. This will be the 11th year in a row. I'll be working in the Piper, Daher and Quest booths. We are a dealer for those 3 manufacturers. The M350 that will be on display in the Piper booth is ours. They picked it up this week. Feel free to send me a PM if you are going and need anything.

Someday I would love to go as a normal visitor. Working there is tough.

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Going to head down to the Janesville Airport tomorrow, they are having a "Heavy Bombers Weekend." I looked into booking a ride, but jeebus they're not cheap

20. ChemGuy

A ride in the 350? I can wear a top hat and monocle to appear wealthy, it that would help? :D

Im going with a guy who's a PC12 driver. We may stop by and bad mouth those brands.....:D:D:D:D