1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet help/advice please!

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Jul 26, 2015.

1. 1coopgt

1coopgt Well-Known Member

The Bell Star and RS-1 are both made from Fiberglass/Kevlar blends

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

My helmets arw all composite shell, but there is nothing wrong with polycarbonate. I forget the test, but a few years ago a cheapo HJC "plastic" helmet scored the best in impact absorption.

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

No, but would you follow me around at Tally like you do Conrad???:D
    I could use the help!!!

Yo, if I lived in a glass house everyone would see me neked!:wow: Scary

4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Phil is the man!!!!!! I believe he is the only licensed WERA dude at STG. I about have him talked into coming down for a Roebling round next year.

I have a new RS1 on the way that has a 2014 date. Closeout $209, free shipping! Fiberglass/ kevlar, carbon yo-yo, cream cheese and all the good shell stuff.
    :beer:

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I think you'll be real happy with the RS1.

I was in the same boat as you two years ago...only wore Arai my entire life and was on a bit of a budget. I have zero complaints with the RS1.

Enjoy!

6. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Look at the UK SHARPS Helmet Testing Scheme. The 410 Scorpion poly helmet scores a 4 star rating. I wouldn't put that off my list. I took two big hits in one last week at BIR, I am very happy with the helmet. I was able to toss it in the trash, put on my backup 410, and purchased a replacement 410 on Monday...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'm not impressed with the sharps rating system.. and there are some in the industry (not the helmet makers) that say the same thing (do a google search). That rating system lost a lot of credibility when the rate some Arai helmets poorly. I mean seriously ? what is wrong with your testing methods when one of the best helmets in the world is testing badly?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

SHARPS doesn't work for WERA. The old Brit standard and EC and Snell.

9. mtmansl

The "Blowing The Lid Off" article in Cycle World highlighted the deficiency in the old Snell system which was based more toward auto racing where the shell of the helmet had to stand up to multiple hits. Snell adjusted with the 2010 standard. What are the complaints of the Sharps system? They test the helmet with hits to the front, rear, left, and right side, and they allow the public to see the results. Is there another test that is better in your opinion that produces the results for the public to view? Currently, Arai do very well on the Sharps tests (most are 5 star), which shows they have adapted well to their past deficiencies for motorcycle use. I want to be able to see how a specific helmet does stand up to hits from multiple directions as opposed to just having the knowledge that it meets a certain standard. There are big variances in those standards. Not being a smartass, what other test is out there that lets the public see the results, so they can make an educated decision on the purchase of a helmet? What are the complaints against the tests processes?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  10. mtmansl

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That SHARPs testing must be great, everyone is falling all over themselves to use and promote it. :rolleyes:

12. mtmansl

Lol,

The manufacturers do use it in GB. Can anybody state what the flaws are in the Brit Governmet's testing that makes this an unreliable test?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, flaw one in your argument is Snell was biased towards cars helmets. The whole DOT is softer and therefore better argument has never held water either. We put on motorcycle races and require racing level equipment. That equipment can easily be subjected to much higher speed impacts than the DOT requires helmets to be tested for, hence our using Snell requirements. I will check into the BSI stuff again and if it's not something that works for racing I'll pull it from our next rulebook. ECE is different than Snell but still looks at high speed impacts.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Let me guess, you own or work in a shop that sells a lot of inexpensive helmets?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also FWIW SHARPS doesn't work for us because it's not a pass/fail thing, the rating may be worthwhile but I've got to find time to research them a lot more in depth before determining which number of stars we'd allow, we'd also need some sort of labeling for that rating on the helmet where we can check it in tech.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, if the brits use it then sign us all up! Up the BSB! Up the boiled meats! Up the nanny state!

<pffffft> I'd rather listen to the cheese eater lecture me for hours on the subject superiority of french culture than the brits on, well, anything.

17. mtmansl

Not at all. Actually, I have been racing since the 80s in karts, cars, and now motorcycles. Used to be an avid Arai owner in my car racing days, because I bought into the adage of the $100.00 head, $100.00 helmet argument. Over time, I have seen through testing that this is not necessarily true. Does Arai make a fantastic helmet? Absolutely! Are they better at protecting your head than other helmets that cost a fraction of what an Arai costs? Not according to the testing that I have seen (Sharps). Is their testing flawed? I would like to be shown if this is the case. If their testing is in fact flawed, I wouldn't use or recommend that anyone look at their testing. I use the best safety equipment I can afford (RS Taichi (Japanese) suits, Knox armor and Handroid gloves with palm sliders, hit air neck vests).

18. mtmansl

I have been a fan of several Scorpion helmet designs, and believe that the R410 is a quality helmet (I don't care how cheap it is on clearance). Yes, the Sharps tests help me pick out this helmet, and the 700 before it. I have tested them myself through crashing (had an off this past weekend at BIR, where my helmet took two big hits). This helmet also has other safety features that make it attractive, like emergency responder removable cheek pads. It has done it's job for me, and because I don't have upwards of $700.00 invested, it is very easy for me to toss it in the garbage bin, go to my backup (I always buy two), and replace the junked one asap. My intentions are not to stir the pot here, and my logic may be flawed. If it is, I am always open to be educated on any subject, as I have surely been wrong on many things in my life...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen more concussions with cheaper helmets than with the higher end known brands. It's not testing though, it's merely my experience in person. They are all from our races so they all passed the required certifications - but they do not still act the same which is one area I'll totally agree with SHARPS on.

At one point I wouldn't have taken a free HJC, now I buy them for street riding. Granted that was also the poly helmets which I'd still not take free no matter what brand.

Your Scorpions both passed the Snell tests as well. The 700 in 2005 when I believe it was last sold (to clarify, not the actual year 2005 but the era of Snell 2005 certification) and the R410 passes the current tests.

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

As for the BSI stuff, cross check it with which BSI number the ACU allow for racing...but you probably already know that:)