1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCUBA guys/gals - questions

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I didn't see a recent scuba thread so I thought I would start one.

I am finally going to go dive, after 25 years of putting it off/doing other stuff. I wont be able to get a prescription mask before I do the pool sessions. my choices are:
    stock diopter lenses that will be close, but wont correct for my astigmatism
    wear soft contacts and use a regular mask

I don't normally wear contacts much anymore and have a new set/prescription.
    I also now need some bifocal to see up close as I am >40. I can see my wristwatch fine so I should be able to see a P. gauge fine.

I have worn generic diopter swim goggles so that may be fine as well.

I am only concerned about contacts regarding mask clearing. Do you think it will be a problem for a new diver with contacts?

I have used a rig/dove/hooka before - gold prospecting in rivers to 15-25ft so its not entirely brand new to me.

In the long run I will need a full prescription mask and will get on one after I dive the mask I tried on and had a good fit (TUSA Ceos)

Any input?

Also, who is up for diving with a new guy around either GA/FL or Bahamas? I can get us to some underused islands with my small plane....:D

thanks,

2. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Hey Dan,

Whatever you're comfortable with. I use contacts and a regular mask. My wife and one of my sons do the same. Worst problem has been losing an occasional lens. We always have spares with us, and normally pack a extra mask. I need to get the bifocal inserts, I can still read my pressure and depth gauges, but can't see the info on my dive computer

Just close your eyes when clearing your mask, it's really pretty easy. Again, if you screw up you might lose a lens or two. Practice.

We were diving in Bonaire with a guy that did have a prescription mask, he lost it on a drift dive on the north side of the island. Since he didn't wear contacts that ended his diving for that vacation.

Pat

3. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Got my Scuba license about a month ago. If its a pool session and you can see half decent I wouldn't bother with contacts.. Not a whole lot to see obviously. Otherwise I would just close my eyes when clearing the mask.

I wore contacts for my open water and wasn't a problem.

4. ChemGuy

Cool.
    thanks for the info guys.

Inpayne- if I took out my contacts and didn't have any lenses, I would do the whole session as if my eyes were closed. :D

5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

You may want to try calling around to some different dive shops. I found one with a spread of standard prescription lenses in stock, they were able to swap in the same day that I bought my mask. FWIW, I have a pretty standard -2.5 prescription and they were limited to a couple of mask styles.

Have fun!

6. inpayne

Ha! Id love to dive more. Just not a whole lot going on in indiana in terms of diving.

7. ChemGuy

Fixed it for you.:p

Sprinky, I think I will try to get some lenses in as a backup to the contacts idea. Just in case.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

What do you mean?! I got certified in the quarry ponds in Bloomington:D

9. inpayne

That's where I got mine, was in a quarry down in Kentucky... Was pretty cool, and they had some sunken stuff, but my god was it cold.

Btw, the cool ass thing, with my saddle bags and a backpack on my FZ1 I can bring all the gear I need for scuba, besides the tanks obviously.

10. RoadRash49

At the time I couldn't see the big "E" on the top of the eye chart without my contacts. No way I would have gone diving intentionally without them

11. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

ChemGuy,
    I've been teaching diving (PADI) for close to 30 years. I would suggest you go without the contacts for the pool lessons. All instructors are different, but I have my students remove their mask, throw it, retrieve it, put it back on, and clear it. Without a mask everything is just colors and shapes underwater anyway, no matter your vision.

Oh, and never say "goggles" in the same company as "scuba". Goggles cannot be used with scuba, as there is no way to equalize the pressure inside of goggles. Your eyeballs would literally be pushed into your head.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I got my license right before I moved to the Florida Keys and never dove.

Oh, I snorkeled every day but since most of the good stuff to see was at 30' to begin with I just never wanted to gear up.

13. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I did everything with soft contacts when I actually dove in the Keys.

14. ChemGuy

Well I have the contacts and I ordered some generic diopter lenses from leisure pro last night.

1 of those solutions should get me thru the pool. I hope to have a full ground prescription mask before OW dives, but well see how it goes.

thanks again beeb.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Hold on a minute -- blind as a bat without contacts or glasses. Flies small plane.

I'm in! Would love to learn how to dive, but the whole 5 hours from lousy dive spots kinda kills it. But if you're flying....

16. RoadRash49

Hey Dan, good luck, make sure it's fun. If you can, sign up for the PADI certification, it's probably the best one as far as knowledge/ability.

Pat

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I got lasik done especially for scuba diving and for wearing my motorcycle helmet. Totally worth it for the $1500 it cost me.

18. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

i wear contacts and a std. mask. I never have had issues.

19. ChemGuy

I would do Lasik, but then I would need glasses to close up as opposed to far away. with my contacts in and 20/20 distant vision I have to hold my phone at arms length to read it.

sucks getting older.

20. ChemGuy

LOL.

Destin is ~2hrs away, depending on the wind. Same to Jekyll and Amelia island.

I haven't been yet but the Bahamas are 4-5 total hours, with a fuel stop at Ft Pierce.

Its a nice way to travel. Click on the autopilot and nap. Just like the airline guys do....:D