1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Texas Shoot out

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Orvis, Jun 13, 2015.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Having seen what happens to a human body struck by a 50 cal projectile, I can assure you that with any square-on torso or cranial hit, that the poor bastard didn't suffer a bit. He never heard the shot even.

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

This thread is starting to sound like the call to ban the evil AR15 machine gun.....

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

LOL...if only the police would consult with you before they purchased their tools:rolleyes: This thread jumped the shark right outta the gate.

Once again the TX finest did a fantastic job taking out the badguy. Well done boys :up:

I've shot Colin's .50...what a beast!

Everyone should shoot one sometime in their life.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yes, a police department needs to be held accountable for what tools they buy.

No, the thread did not jump the rails or pull a Fonzie.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I wish someone would shoot this thread with a .50.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Give the 5-0 a call. Just make sure they yell STOP RESISTING before they unleash their banned for civilian ownership weapons on the thug. :moon:

7. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

What does "held accountable" mean and how do you know they've failed in that regard? You're not going to say it means waiting to get the tool until they get the approval of every goober with an opinion on the matter, are you?

8. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

In today's climate, the police need access to a vehicle that can handle things when the shit hits the fan. Not every police car needs to be armored, but when officers have a high likelihood of taking fire, or are taking fire, they need to have something to help them get the job done. The North Hollywood shootout in 1997 was the most publicized illustration of this. Civilians and officers were shot and laying bleeding in the streets, but no one could get to them because they were still in the fire zone. Eventually officers were able to 'borrow' a Brinks armored truck to do this. I don't think every Mayberry PD needs one, but there should be access to one from a sizable department that has a properly trained SWAT team.
    I was on a SWAT team before we got a Lenco Bearcat, and after. Sneaking up to a house at night with a barricaded subject armed with a scoped .30-06, with only the darkness to protect you, is a pretty unnerving task. During one call out after we had the Bearcat, we were trying to resolve a situation where a guy shot his neighbor and barricaded himself in his house, using his two children as hostages. While trying to maintain contact with him from the truck, we took fire from a 9mm and later, from a .30-30. Rounds from both struck the truck. I hate to think how that call would have gone without the Bearcat.

Anyone who is shooting at you is the "Enemy."

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

You roll up to a building and start firing into it you've pretty much earned any outcome. I don't care if they end you with a .22 or an RPG.

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Desmo, with all the NV gear available now, "darkness" isn't even protection anymore...on either side.

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You still haven't explained why they shouldn't have a .50 cal rifle? Sounds like they used the right tool for the situation. If I lived in a different state I could own one. Living here in Cali I could build a number of rifles that perform as well or better than the 50 bmg but the dems outlawed the 50. Never been used in a crime, they're just afraid of them. I'm guessing they used something else to shoot the driver but IMO it doesn't really matter what caliber was used. I'd bet it was under a 100 yards too so just about any center fire would work. Hell I can keep my 22LR inside a 2 inch circle at a 100 if it isn't windy. Wouldn't be the best choice in this situation though would it?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Are there any instances of the police misusing a .50 cal sniper rifle? Can't think of any. There are plenty of times, including this one where they've successfully used sniper rifles to terminate the target. All you guys who cry about the police having some heavier duty firearms should remember the North Hollywood shootout. 20 years on and LAPD and other big city departments have never forgotten the brutal lesson of having just pathetic popgun pistols available when shit gets real.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

But, but, but, you'll be killing my BABY! I know it went bad but It's mine. down deep it's a good thread. :eek:

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I wasn't disputing the mechanics of what happens when a human (or anything) gets struck by the .50cal.

Presumably, the premise of kz2zx's assumption that the police department shouldn't have the .50cal came from the urban myth about it only being allowed for use against equipment. I'm not sure, he'd have to comment.

I'm all for police using the right tool for the job. Depending on distance, as others have stated, that could be 5.56, .308, 300WinMag, 338Lapua, 338 Rem UltraMag, etc. and those would be better choices than the .50cal.

Either way, dead bad guy. Additional bonus, I learned about the urban myth.

15. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

It fell in with a bad crowd.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You can say that again. :up:

:)

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

This is as I remember from Basic Training as well.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cops should have whatever arms they need - the whole militarized buzzword is bullshit. Who cares if they dress the same as the military - if the shit works, use it.

The cops in LA having to get weapons from a gun store is moronic.

Nothing at all wrong with a cop using a 50 cal to take down a bad guy. What does it matter anyway the caliber as long as the weapon did the job? On the 50 specifically, great for taking out vehicle engines, I like them having access.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, more about how the cops are big bad scary guys because they have a 50 cal.

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I can't imagine having to sneak up on someone that is looking for you with a decent hunting rifle.

Glad ya'll had the vehicle