1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No judgement here. If you like the watch, fix it. I'd find a semi-local watchmaker to do the work though. I see no benefit to sending it in to Tag except a lighter wallet.

If you're going to send it out, I have a really good guy. Just let me know.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap. If the watch means something to you, why not spend the money and get it fixed by Tag? $1200 is harsh and I'd tell you to smash it with a hammer (for fun) and shit can the watch if you bought it on your own but since your dad got it for you, well. . .

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I completely understand that sentimental value can trump reason. I'm seriously considering buying my dad's Day-Date, even though I don't like the watch and can never see wearing it.

It's 18k yellow on a president bracket, the quintessential wealthy-white-guy Rolex. The thing is hideous. It even has diamond markers.

He doesn't wear it anymore, and has decided the cash would mean more to him than a watch in a drawer, so he asked me to help him sell it. Oddly enough, that watch seems to be experiencing a renaissance of sorts, and is bringing good money.

Problem is, I was fascinated by his watch since I was a kid. It's probably the reason I love watches. I remember him showing me the sweeping seconds hand when I was maybe 8-10 years old and explaining that the watch was totally mechanical. I remember it said "perpetual" on it, and that according to grade school science, perpetual motion was impossible. To my little brain, that meant dad's watch was magic.

It was always one of two places, on his wrist, or on the end of the counter, with his wallet and keys. I would put it on and wish my wrist was bigger, and stare at that magic seconds hand. I'd put it to my ear and listen to the ticking, I didn't know that it was 28,800 bph at the time, just that it was way faster then my swatch.

So I can't stand the thought of Dad's Rolex being sold off to some aspiring rapper or pompous retiree without the scratch to buy new, so I'm considering parting with ~$10k of my hard-earned money to rescue it. Talk about irrational decisions? I get it, man.

4. PAKETA_1

PAKETA_1 Well-Known Member

Ordered this for my wife...she will love it.

[​IMG]

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I had a 60's era Omega Seamaster, automatic, shipped to Switzerland and completely redone by Omega for waaayyy less than $1200. That is criminal to charge that much to fix a quartz watch.

I have used Otto Frei for parts and straps before, good prices. Here is the page for Tag crowns and pushers. you may have to locate the P/N from the net and see if they has or can get one.
    http://www.ofrei.com/page_137.html

I have used these guys and been happy. Or maybe you can find a decent local guy by looking on some watch forums.
    http://bowerswatchandclockrepair.com/clockandwatchrepair.htm

Good Luck,

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Check govberg for watch repairs.

I had the chrono function on my tag fixed for like $300

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, so I called Tag and asked if I get the original parts back and the guy said yes, but he sees an issue on the estimate and isn't sure why they were trying to charge for a replacement movement. They send a revised estimate that knocks off $300. Always a little shady when you ask for the original parts back and suddenly something doesn't need replacing.

It was still a 200-300 more than I expected overall, but I had them repair it anyways. I could justify why it made sense to me, but most arguments would be biased, not logical in many ways, and it really doesn't matter so long as I'm happy with a fully refurbished 15yr old watch. I won't wear it near as much as I used to since I have a rotation of sorts now so it should stay in better shape and I'll stop throwing it in my bag at airport security where the pusher has broken twice now.

Now I need to find a robust travel watch with a GMT hand so that I don't break the Tag again, ha. The Breitling Avenger II looks like a sweet deal at $2800-$3300 at Jomashop. The Rolex GMT II is more than I would pay for a watch, the Omega is nice but still a bit dear, and there is a Rolex knock off Tag GMT for around $1300 which might be a bit too much of a wannabe watch.

Any other nice, classic, and robust GMT's to check out?

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I saw this on Saturday, and I purchased on the spot:

[​IMG]

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

40mm Explorer II. Probably the best buy there is at the moment.

10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

White or black dial?

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Girlfriend just got me this for my 30th yesterday. It's probably not to the level you watch geeks swoon over, but I'm fuggin over the moon about it. First actually nice watch I've ever owned :D

[​IMG]

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

nice one! i have the same with a white dial, bt with my heavy use, after 1 year the hands fell off.

i sent it in for repair (free) but they kept falling off.

got me a tool set, opened it, took the dials out and wear it as a timeless timepiece from time to time.

:D

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:bow:

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don't care for white dials generally, but if I ever sneak up on one of the cream dial Explorer II's I'll be all over it.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Love it. Classy and rock solid. Seems like a timeless timepiece someone would wear from time to time. :D

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here's a cool article about GMTs.
    http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends_400/466_gmt-world-time-watches.html

The Vostock Mentioned is on "Touch Of Modern" right now.
    https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales

A vintage Seiko Worldtimer / Navitimer would be pretty kickass. ~$500

A quick search on Ashford.com with "GMT" got some cool results. I like the Baume & Mercier

If you want to get Hawk's blood going, you can look at Orient:
    http://orientwatchusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gmt

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I scrolled thru the thread and did not see this, but I thought you might appreciate it...

Go to youtube and search "worlds most complicated watch"...

18. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Great looking seiko.

19. ChemGuy

Very Nice. I likey. Been looking for a blue dial to add to the stable.

20. ChemGuy