Refitting starter to FZR400 superbike - need help (please!)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by tz90369, May 23, 2015.

1. tz90369

tz90369 Well-Known Member

Hello all:
    I'm (slowly) putting my superbike back together and attempting to make it more rideable . . . and usable for my creaky legged old body.
    So, I've sourced the hard parts (starter, starter clutch, etc.) but I have to wire in some type of starter wiring / button.
    The wiring harness was completely cut down to the bare essentials, so I can't just plug-n-play.
    I would love to hear some advice / ideas regarding building a simple way to hit a button and start the bike without having to go all the way back to stock. For instance, can I do it without the solenoid and relay? I'm an electrical (amongst other topics) idiot, so please be tender!
    Anyhoo, I'd really appreciate any and all help!
    Thanks,
    Brett

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2 wires from starter to some type of jumper terminals

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You would need a pretty stout button to handle the current that a starter draws. The reason it has a relay, is so you can run the buttong/switch set up with minimal current. This trips the relay that send the current straight from the batt to the starter.

In simple terms, you will need a relay.

4. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

If you have the engine starter/drives ready to go, this is a good idea, esp if you run a small Lipo Battery. Starting the machine is the biggest draw on the small battery.
    Run a wire from the starter to a convenient spot on the bike,(right side so you can fettle the throttle with flatslides) Then a ground to engine.
    We use Chips ballistic quick connect plugs on both ends.
    This is a little hand held unit we made,battery,clip-on,cheap momentary on button,starter solenoid off some bike and another Ballistic quick connect.
    Now you can start the machine while its on warmers or to just warm it up without taxing the battery/voltage on the bike.
    Or add the same shit to your bike using your battery...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. tz90369

I like the external battery idea - I think I'll use the stock solenoid, some connectors, and a kill button like the one pictured. I'm a little confused on how to wire the button in to the solenoid - does the button get a (+) feed from the battery and then a (+) out to the solenoid (which get heavy gauge wire from the battery in on one side and out to the connector on the other)? Should I put a fuse in there anywhere?
    Thanks for all the help!

6. tz90369

So, the wiring "harness" was a real mess - unwrapped it, cleaned it all up, and ended up wiring in a stock start switch on the bike (because I removed the flatslides and had to put the stock throttle / start switch pod back on). Decided not to put the switch onto any relays (there are none except the fuel pump relay left!), which isn't ideal, but it works, the bike runs, and nothing is heating up or blowing up!
    Now to mount up a stock rear wheel and start selling off some of the cool parts . . .

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dibs on the cool stuff!:D

8. tz90369

I have been waffling for years about selling off stuff, but I think the time has come - I'll put an ad together in the next few days . . . flatslides, OW01 forks, Marchesini rims, a complete rolling chassis, a complete engine!
    :Off: