1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | VIR 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, May 15, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you been to a MotoAmerica race yet?

The fan experience according to the fans I know is still great - even at the one stand alone event they ran which had rain all weekend.

You are not a fan. You are in a different country and related to one of the riders. You are a part of the industry. As for advertising to you or making sure you have tv coverage or the like, they'd be idiots to waste time on that right now.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Weird shit, advertising to people near the event and not worrying about a guy in Africa or one in Canada???

Get the pitchforks!

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're being a bitchy ass - a huge big time bitch with complaints that aren't valid for a series in an entirely different country from you. No matter who chose where you live it sure as hell wasn't them. Yes, we'd all like to see it online for free 24/7 and so on - but that is not and should not be a priority. Free online doesn't pay the bills. Butts in seats does and that is what they should be and are working on.

So yeah, you're going to get condescending.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I am just bitching about Live Timing & Scoring NOT Working as Good as it Should..

5. As previously stated, the local fans make up a very small potion of the income, ROI for sponsors, total fan base etc. It is great they are advertising locally, that isn't what we are talking about.

We are talking about reaching new (potential) fans nationwide (and anywhere there is TV and/or internet). We are talking about making sure people know there are races, where/when to find them and being updated throughout the event.

I don't expect anything to reach me in Africa. But my facebook, my forums, my email, my twitter etc aren't based in Africa...and I've seen/heard nothing. If somebody who is in and connected to the sport isn't reached, there is no way they are reaching new people.

As always, this is just my opinion.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree and it's an easy fix.

7. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

DORNA does not financially back MotoAmerica.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are wrong. Absolutely 100%. Local fans are what pay the bills, not having them is why DMG lost money.

You are talking about what YOU want, what would make YOU happy. It is not what is best for the series to concentrate on first.

People in the sport read RRW as just one example of many and know about the races. You are bitching about a race you know is happening because you haven't heard more? Doesn't work sorry.

As always, my opinion too ;)

9. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Me too...at least at this very moment. I read on Roadracing World that live timing is now available on motoamerica website. As I was typing this, times r showing up. But looks like only a few bikes on track? I'm expecting to see all times and laps ticking away. Countdown clock in left corner is working well however.

10. ped

ped Banned

fb adverts are free but they'd only reach people who will already be watching. It's not going to bring in outside support very much.

run a steady series with practical ad money and it is going to take a long time. by steady I mean a professional scoring and timing system for starters.

I said it before what makes people go to races is a party scene. I know because it's why I go and everyone I know as well. It's an awesome three day weekend of booze and dirtbikes and shit to do and see.

11. No. I am not talking about what "I" want. I didn't even say I wanted anything. I simply said this thread is the only mention I have seen of the VIR races...and I am active online. It isn't that I wish I would have heard "more"...I haven't seen/heard anything. Like i said, if it werent for this thread i would have no idea there was a race this weekend.

With DMG there would be facebook posts, Twitter posts, YouTube advertisements, so on and so forth. Even if somebody didn't care about racing, they would be fully aware of an upcoming event. And during the event we were bombarded with updates.

I, like the others, am pointing out things that might help the series grow. And lack of exposure to new people is an issue.

Do I think MA is worse than DMG? Of course not. I am thankful for MA and respect the task they undertook of trying to get our sport out of the shitter. We are simply saying there are things that could be done (some of which are free) to gain exposure and improve the experience for the fans who can't be at the races...which in turn could increase the level of excitement for people who are currently outside the sport.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

You guys are ruining my thread! :Poke:

13. Not entirely true. When you post something (advertisement) you can select the audience and for a small fee ($5-$20) you can extend the reach to "friends of followers" and even "friends of friends of followers". Paying $20 will increase the number of people who will see the post literally exponentially. I'm an Admin for the JDSA page and it is a tool that comes in handy.

If their page has even just 1000 followers, and those 1000 followers each have even just 300 "friends" and then those people have just 300 "friends"...you can see how one post can literally reach tens of thousands of people with very little money or effort.

14. ped

ped Banned

beach is movin!

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wonder what exactly they DO do in regards to "backing" the series. Is it consultative or technical support or some other less tangible services. Or do they simply just say "we support" the series in spirit and a friendly friendly email and press release :crackup:

By the way I'm watching the Fanschoice stream and at the moment there is video and sound but no commentating. Is that what everyone else is seeing?

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I follow MA on Twitter and FB. There have been updates.

17. A lot of complaining but RRW has been good about updates. I'll reserve my harsh judgement til the end of be season. Let's see if they can figure this out. I assume they're on a very limited budget. You guys need to relax a little bit.

18. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

$0.02 from a guy that just moved to Canada for work(before Mongo tells me I'm in a different country and don't matter):D I do agree the timing and scoring issues need fixed, but I also understand why they haven't thrown the kitchen sink at this thing yet for tv, etc.

This argument is for the guys that think they should throw the kitchen sink at it right away...

1) There is a thing called a budget and I'm sure at this point it's limited.
    2) There is also a thing in business known as "perpetuity", which I'm sure the guys at MotoAmerica have thought about. i.e., they don't want to burn up all their cash today on a hope and prayer that it takes off. If it doesn't they'll be gone within the first year.

Year 1 goal: Get people that are interested in motorcycles in the areas where races occur to attend the races. This will help pay the bills now but in the long-run won't keep you in business. Provided those individuals are happy and future races start to fill up more, some additional cash will be available to potentially televise the races. This will hopefully get teams to come back the next year - why? Because as much as people on this forum bitch, I still see where there are 30 riders in the superstock class, etc.

Allowing people to watch from home? Good or Bad?

Do you really want everyone watching from home but no-one attending races? Does MotoAmerica make money in this situation? IDK - seems like a lot of professional sports teams have this issue and black out games trying to get fans to the stadium. Ultimately this leads to the teams selling or moving to a new location. I guess if it gets big enough to take out some of the other Saturday/Sunday programs ---Nascar, grease this garage, blah blah blah. Maybe it's worth it.

If MotoAmerica doesn't take off do we just write-off roadracing as a viewers sport in the U.S. and keep it as a more underground following?

What's the following for auto roadracing series? You're talking serious $ with guys that have coin to back it - these are often times shown after the fact and not live. Except for the big races.

Maybe it's roadracing all together :( How many of you watch from home because you can see the whole race rather than 1 corner at an actual track? How many times have we heard bitching about, "they only showed the front pack, my rider was 6th so he didn't get TV time"

Roadracing is a tough one, I'd like to see the MotoAmerica series succeed, whatever that looks like.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fwiw, blackouts are NOT to get people into sports stadiums, they're to support local TV. The blackouts are usually on the cable networks. For instance, I cannot watch the the STL Cardinals play on the MLB network, but the games are always on my local channel.

20. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

to continue the thread ruining topic (sorry 418)
    Im going to give MotoAmerica 2 years, because I believe its a huge ask to come out put on a race series, put together a television package, and be very active on social media with your fans.
    Ive admitted before that I'm a terrible fan (on a budget). Chances of me going to a race to watch are slim to none as I can't stand hanging around and watching what I'd rather be doing. To me its a waste of money. I tend to watch races in the comfort of my living room as my evening winds down, or over breakfast on a weekend morning.
    If they're pulling people into the tracks and producing a healthy gate, then thats fantastic because it means the venue is likely to be up for another round next season. It also means that word is getting out locally which is always good for the sport. And with more people attending locally, and more money being made, then improvements to the at home experience will be on the horizon. We need more than 3 rounds for this to happen. Remember Fanschoice in the beginning was 3 stationary cameras around the track. Now they've got a really solid production going after 2 years of development. I see the home package improving throughout the season and I'm hoping by middle of next season they'll have a decent package.
    I havent been following timing and scoring, but I will say the Twitter feed is doing an alright job on promotion. They do retweet a lot of things, but they also offer at least 1 promotional tweet per day. Id like to see more live tweet updates of practice/races during the race weekend though. They tend to just post the podium after the session. It doesnt have to be the lap by lap fingers of fury that AMA SX is, but a "green flag, Josh hayes leads Cam and Roger into turn 1 at the start of Superbike race 1" "1/4 distance and Hayden leads the yamaha teammates, Cam & Hayes in pursuit" "halfway point, Cam has take then the lead, Hayden & Josh in tow"

just popping on the live stream of practice this morning, it looks like a great day at VIR.