1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Im trying to buy my friends 229 as he is moving to an unfriendly state, love that gun. :beer:

Trying to convince him to leave his CMP Bushy with me too, tack driver is an understatement.

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

haven't gotten that far yet. friends are running vortex viper PST FFP 4-16x50. that seems like a good one for the price. for now I have a zeiss 5.5-20x but it's not "tacticool". lol.

ideally a 1-6x illuminated reticle for playing around, then the higher power glass for distance work. all it takes is $$$, right?

hoping to stretch it out a bit at the new CMP range they are finishing in Anniston. Anyone going to Talladega in the future, might be worth an extra day to go visit...

http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

check out the new electronic targets on the 200/300/600 yard lines. that looks like fun- instant readout of your shot placement on the monitor next to your shooting station. :)

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Has anyone here built a 6.8? What brand did you use, reload, etc?

I've got a sig 716 that sucks to carry around the woods all morning chasing pigs.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yep.

Palmetto lower, Gieselle trigger, GI BCG, Wilson Combat bolt, Bison Armory 18" barrel. Vortex 2-7 glass. Balances perfectly with Magpul PRS stock. It's a fantastic gun. Only shot paper with it so far. I'm not handloading yet, currently running Hornady 110gr VMAX and Silver State 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have the 6.8 barrel for my LMT and have had it for probably 8 years? I reamed out the chamber to Spec II so i can shoot hotter loads (still has the funky twist rate that LMT uses). I did some load development but lost a bit of interest. I bought it just in case I wanted to deer hunt with my AR but given other options just didn't get around to it. :) There are a couple of companies that are the "go to" companies for the upper. Daniel Defense makes some very nice uppers/guns, Bison, Ranier and I hear good things about White Oak. Most should be pretty current with the "spec" (there are a couple of different chambers out there, do a bit of reading about what you need to look for but pretty sure it's all stabilized these days).

if you aren't going to run subsonic/suppressed (get a 300AAC), IMHO it's a great hunting cartridge and one of the better "mainstream" options for hunting with an AR platform. If you plan to shoot it much, get into reloading. Brass is ok as far as price but it does last a while unless you are trying to push the limits of the cartridge. Plenty of good projectiles as well that are made now for the 6.8 velocities. the 6.8 forum is full of good info.

http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

6. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Anyone have a S&W Governor? I'm itching to own one.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

6.8 is pretty much dead in the water now that the .300 has come online isn't it? I remember it being the answer to the lack of knockdown power of the 5.56 but it never really caught on.

Somebody posted an SBR backback gun a few pages back, now I'm pining for that new Sig MCX - easily convertible from 556 to 300 to 762x39, and designed with AR controls but no buffer tube so you can have a side folding stock. Only downside is that MSRP is something like $2100:wow:

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah I need to look into the 300AAC. I've got a 30 cal suppressor but won't fool with sub sonic. The pigs run as soon as you shoot one with a suppressed subsonic rifle here but use it on regular loads so I don't blow my ears off.

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

6.8 still has a big following. the 300 is definitely a good caliber and if you plan to run subsonic/suppressed, it's the way to go. But if you just want good ballistics and a decent hunting round without going into a 308 sized caliber, it's still a very good option. the 300 looses a lot of steam past 150 yards in most cases, and is really optimized for a very short barrel and a can. But the 300 is also a bit cheaper to build as it's standard AR mags, bolt, carriers, etc. Just a new barrel and you are set. the 6.8 needs a new bolt, mags and barrel. With my LMT i can swap from 5.56 to 6.8 in about 5 minutes. I can go to 300 in about the same time (or 204 ruger). it's a pretty cool system. but the penalty is a bit more weight.

10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I seen one. Seen/disassembled a T Judge too.....no comparison. Gov is way higher quality.

11. SpeedyE

My A.D.D will prevent me from doing more than 10 practice draws :D
    My IQ dictates that I need a 'simple' gun :)

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

After a few days at Maddmacs Tactical Precision, the granddaughter's 22/45 Lite is on it's way home!!

[​IMG]

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

That's cool, I'd love to do something like that to mine but I can't get the barrel into CA since it is a registered part and they're not on the list. :(

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Does that have to do because it is threaded??? BTW...it has a 1lb 6oz trigger...wow!

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No, the barrel is the registered part on a MkII/MkII/22/45. And it isn't on the approved list of handguns. None of them are anymore, you can't buy a new one in Calif. Used are going for a lot more than new because you can still to a PPT if it's already registered. My XDS .45 is worth more than I paid for it new now since the single shot exemption has been eliminated.

16. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Got Alexis' Lite back today from Maddmacs Precision Tactical...looks awesome.
    Specs...
    MM
    VC Accurizing Kit - all internals polished for lighter pull
    Reduced hammer spring
    Polished and radiused bolt
    Sharpened and tuned extractor
    Ruger 22/45 LITE Compensator #2245L015
    Bolt Extension
    Extended Safety
    Positive Stop Plug Screws
    TK
    Extended Mag Release
    Hammer Bushing
    Magazine Extensions
    LCI Replacement
    KaneWolf Slingshot

Future Mod...
    Burris FastFire III Red Dot w/MaddMacs dovetail mount

Thanks so much to Maddmacs and TK for their help with this build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SpeedyE

I'm over the zip.....bought a used Sig M11-A1/9mm w/ E2 grips, SRT, TFO....just got done shooting it at the range....everything I wanted!!!!
    Fixes everything I didn't like about my 229/40....way less recoil, lighter weight, more bullets and smaller/narrower grips :rock:

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The updated version...

[​IMG]

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's what I told you to get in the first place. Love mine.

20. SpeedyE

Your advice did not fall on deaf ears :up: I LOVE IT!!!!!! :up::rock::up: