1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miller may be shutting down.

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, May 8, 2015.

1. caferace

caferace No.

:up:

I know that track well and facilities well, and would be happy to assist.

-jim

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

This

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The track is not being converted to a prison. Read.
    It is simply going over to the county for operations unless another entity comes in to do so.
    The county will have to decide what to keep running if they don't arrange a deal so that may not be great news for roadracing to begin with.

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

My initial impression from the meeting is that 2016 will be a good year in Utah.

5. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

Sounds encouraging

Are you able to say more or is it really too soon

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Sounds very positive mate

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

At this point there isn't much more to say. It's really early in the game but there are some legit people at the table working this deal. The county is being very reasonable with their needs and it looks like there are several interested parties making contact.

8. turbulence

Awesome!! Keep us updated please

9. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

So ya all may be needing a track sweeper then over there

10. TuesdayHugh

TuesdayHugh Four Day Weekend Dude

You got mad janitorial skilz?

11. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Haha anything I touch shines man

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Taxes and up front cash can be spent on other things - also in the case of Barber it's to give back to the city.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So back on the overall subject...

I can't see it becoming a prison, makes absolutely no sense in any logical way. Too much empty land right next door that would take less work.

I also can't see it not operating again in 2016. The financials for the city/county are different, they don't have to pay off the construction costs or justify them in some way to a BoD. It never made financial sense for the Miller companies but it was Larrys baby. Now that he's gone, it's a waste for them.

The track will never be good for big events. It's in the middle of nowhere. There are no big cities within what, 8 hours? Other than SLC. It can however survive if run properly. No need for a lot of middle management, split the facilities out somehow so the track and renters can actually charge a gate fee, actually run it like a racetrack not some sort of country club where just saying you're renting go karts gets you the run of the property. It's a fantastic facility with a lot of great people working there, with a few policy changes it can be profitable.

14. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

15. caferace

caferace No.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

17. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

@ Trackstar - Good stuff :up:

18. turbulence

Ok... So I was out there tonight riding around the cart track.

I sure hope the car guys are working towards something as well... High dollar cars all over the place running out on the main track.

Bike money pales in comparison to car money.. I'm proud that bike guys are in the room concerning talks about the tracks future.. I sure hope car guy is in that room as well.

19. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

How lucky are we? A passionate and rich motorhead gives us all a $150 million dollar cash gift, a racetrack funded right out of his deep pocket, among the very best in the country. When he dies his heirs keep paying multi millions in losses for a few years, another gift to all of us, until they've had enough, and they give it back to the lessor, who is looking for someone to keep it going for all of us. Miller is my favorite track, I've had the good luck to race there for ten years, and if I'm really lucky I'll race there some more. Cool.

20. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Bravo to Trackstar, and all involved.....including the Millers. :up:

Also well said Linker. That track is on my bucket list.

RRW making the situation seen nationwide, if not world wide, has got to help.

Here's a headline from a fantasy land publication:

WERA hired by Toole County to run Miller MP....WERA's Sean Clarke said "bring us your Pro Racers, your club racers, your wretched, your weary, heck, even your Vintage guys if ya have to.... cuz I'm buyin the beer...just don't make me kick your arse for being stupid."

A county official said "We are looking forward to dealing with Ev and Sean Clarke. Ev's racing business prowess, and the way Sean runs the BBS and paddock with an iron fist are encouraging signs."

:D :bow:

All kidding aside, I was surprised by the announcement of the possible closing and hope they work something out.